Thai customs to enforce duty-free limits on overseas purchases

Lite Beer

This policy is similar to policies in nearly all other countries including all EU countries. It is not aimed at tourists or foreigners. It is aimed at Thai people returning home and having purchased goods abroad. There is a specific problem now where airline staff purchase luxury items abroad on order for delivery to Thai customers back home. This mostly relates to luxury bags, clothes and jewellery.

Since most European countries add a 16 to 25% VAT to any purchase the savings compared to buying in Thailand and paying Thai duties and VAT will be minimal. Hence it is easy to check Thais arriving from places like Hong Kong and Singapore where the saving on these luxurious items can be rather large. Customs officials then just check who is coming towards them from the direction of the luggage belt that was associated with that particular flight.

Amazing!! Took 35 posts before a voice of reason steps in and points out what is a simple truth...almost every country in the world applies duties to goods casually imported by returning residents. Anybody filled out a US Customs declaration lately?

If all you boneheads screeching about it killing tourism would just stop and think for a minute: how many tourists actually bring goods into Thailand? Very few, I'd guess....well, except for the ones bringing expensive devices for friends and family living here.

Years ago, when I used to travel from the USA with a lot of expensive, foreign made photo equipment, I would register it at the customs office before departure so I would have proof when I returned that it was not newly purchased.

Does anybody know if somebody can do the same here? Like if a departing passenger has a new Rolex, can he register it before leaving so he does not get taxed on it when he returns?

In more than 100 arrivals at BKK in the last 8 years, I've never been stopped and inspected exiting through the green zone. In some countries, when you enter green zone, there is a button you have to push that will randomly turn on either a green or a red light. If you are unlucky and get red, all your bags will be inspected.

Makes not declaring stuff a true crap shoot.

But do you think that Thai customs understands the concept of registering expensive items BEFORE departure, and have implemented it?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This policy is similar to policies in nearly all other countries including all EU countries. It is not aimed at tourists or foreigners. It is aimed at Thai people returning home and having purchased goods abroad. There is a specific problem now where airline staff purchase luxury items abroad on order for delivery to Thai customers back home. This mostly relates to luxury bags, clothes and jewellery.

Since most European countries add a 16 to 25% VAT to any purchase the savings compared to buying in Thailand and paying Thai duties and VAT will be minimal. Hence it is easy to check Thais arriving from places like Hong Kong and Singapore where the saving on these luxurious items can be rather large. Customs officials then just check who is coming towards them from the direction of the luggage belt that was associated with that particular flight.

Amazing!! Took 35 posts before a voice of reason steps in and points out what is a simple truth...almost every country in the world applies duties to goods casually imported by returning residents. Anybody filled out a US Customs declaration lately?

If all you boneheads screeching about it killing tourism would just stop and think for a minute: how many tourists actually bring goods into Thailand? Very few, I'd guess....well, except for the ones bringing expensive devices for friends and family living here.

Years ago, when I used to travel from the USA with a lot of expensive, foreign made photo equipment, I would register it at the customs office before departure so I would have proof when I returned that it was not newly purchased.

Does anybody know if somebody can do the same here? Like if a departing passenger has a new Rolex, can he register it before leaving so he does not get taxed on it when he returns?

In more than 100 arrivals at BKK in the last 8 years, I've never been stopped and inspected exiting through the green zone. In some countries, when you enter green zone, there is a button you have to push that will randomly turn on either a green or a red light. If you are unlucky and get red, all your bags will be inspected.

But do you think that Thai customs understands the concept of registering expensive items BEFORE departure, and have implemented it?

I seem to recall they had this facility for a long time already & it makes prefect sense to register your new phone etc which you bought in Thailand before leaving the country so as not to get pinged for it when you come back.

Best post on the whole topic, cheers.

That was just what I had been missing, I'll take my desktop PC with me when going to Thailand for at least the next 14 months.

Had thought about taking copies of the 3-y-o invoices for the individual parts with me, will now top this up with a "Nämlichkeitserklärung" for re-import at customs in Düsseldorf.

Here's the link to ther German form with explanations, sorry for everyone else. http://www.zoll.de/DE/Fachthemen/Zoelle/Zollbefreiungen/Aussertarifliche-Zollbefreiung/Rueckwaren/Abfertigungverfahren-bei-Wiedereinfuhr/abfertigungverfahren-bei-wiedereinfuhr_node.html

Maybe we could start a project here to collect those webpages for every race and creed?

Thanks so far, was immensely helpful.

I thought that I read on here that the new customs comander has removed the signs from the airport and the allowance has been set at around 80,000 or 100,000 baht. The customs will still be checking for people and businesses flouting the law but the ordinary travellers will not need to worry as long as they stay within the limits.

Looked things up. What you'll need is "certificate of identity" from your (hitherto) country of residence from where you are importing used goods for your personal use. The paperwork you'll have to submit there will take care of proving those items to be "used". Also carry copies of invoices.

Happens all the time with expensive fotography equipment. Also note there are also no import duties on computers and parts thereof, I put that question through TV's "Ask the Lawyer" some 3 months ago and was told I had to declare, ut there wouldn't be duties levied.

I guess I missed the part saying where would only apply to Thai citizens. Can someone show me that section? The whole idea is insane, but wouldn't be the first time.... I have retirement visa, but do not have resident status. When I go back to USA, customs tell me I am no longer a US resident as I spend so much time here... does that make me automatic resident here?

I guess I missed the part saying where would only apply to Thai citizens. Can someone show me that section? The whole idea is insane, but wouldn't be the first time.... I have retirement visa, but do not have resident status. When I go back to USA, customs tell me I am no longer a US resident as I spend so much time here... does that make me automatic resident here?

"Residency" can be different from a tax point of view where you'll be a resident in the Kingdom when you stay in the country in excess of 180 days within a given year. Your mere absence form the US would not automatically make you a resident in Thailand as the above condition might not be met when you stay in a couple of different countries.

But I am failing to see what residency would have to do with custom duties and import sales tax which hinge on different considerations, unless it's about special reguations such as the one where a Thai or a family member of one can e.g. take one household appliance into the country for free after quitting residence in Thailand for at least a year.

Next time i leave Thailand on business, the samsonite & laptopwill have to stay behind. Gonna be a canvas bag & a ZX81

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Who remembers having a "Sinclair ZX81".

Today it would be a Raspberry Pi

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yes it's for Thai....but fun to watch many of the previous posters that have a bad case of farangness whistling.gif

Time a mod closed this topic. And like several others I wonder why it was posted in the first place when the information contained in the OP has been widely clarified and corrected.

Time for a few people to take a valium and a few deep breaths and high time Phuket Gazzette focused on writing news, not history

This thread shouldn't have been allowed to continue this long. It should be closed with a link provided to the existing thread (which includes mention of the fact that this is old news, that signs in the arrival area of the airport have already been removed, that it really applied to returnees and not arriving tourists, etc.).

• Like 2

So if you are wearing an expensive watch, for example, bought six months ago, still in pristine condition, are the experts at customs able to tell how old it is?

No.

But in a pinch they'd just make you pay import duties and import sales tax and you can challenge that by later turning up with your invoice, and, in the case of a really expensive watch, the maker's certificate, the onus of proof being on you. Has happened.

Read my posts' signature below.

This thread shouldn't have been allowed to continue this long. It should be closed with a link provided to the existing thread (which includes mention of the fact that this is old news, that signs in the arrival area of the airport have already been removed, that it really applied to returnees and not arriving tourists, etc.).

Agreed, close it by posting a link to the up to date verified information. Inaccurate threads like this ae a complete waste of time!

• Like 1

This 'Rolex purchased in Thailand' story has got me perplexed and confused. Last year I purchased an 8 year old omega seamaster from a private party (no receipt) here in Bkk, and I am about to fly out for several weeks, and return wearing my watch.

I might add that I also just had the omega service center completely overhaul, rebuild, and polish the watch and it looks brand new.

Is Customs going to try to tax me on an item already taxed and imported into Thailand? What is my defense against this absurdity?

Edited by tkramer

I am afraid it's no absurdity, it's the law... well, depending on where you're going. I am no expert at customs but if you were e.g. a German citizen the maximum amount of take-alongs bought abroad brought to your home country (place of residence??) will be 350 €. Otherwise you got to declare, and they will tax you.

It happened to prized German goaly Oliver Kahn, when he was caught carrying clothes, watches, and what-not from his journey to Dubai in the amount of 25.000 Euro (new goods obviously). Got him criminal proceedings and a fine of some 300.000 Euro (obviously based on his meager income).

That's why I found some post above so interesting about that "certificate of identity" (German: Nämlichkeitserklärung). Maybe you should get that for your watch before travelling. It shows that you "exported" (not meant as a legal term) the thing from Thailand and so there will be no import duties when you return to Thailand.

What I don't know, however, is what having to pay or not to pay import duties will be based on when you enter a country as a "tourist", and what will be the limit for falling under that definition. Obviously a lot of people from wealthy countries enter their holiday destinations with a lot of stuff, e.g. cameras, and from what I gleaned when browsing the net, that's ok.

For some reason. Possibly only for a certain amount of time, until some definition of "residency" kicks in. Obviously hard to know for customs when you are entering e.g. visa-exempt but are going to prolong your stay for years on some sort of follow-up visa.

I think I'll go browsing that other thread mentioned here and ask a friend of mine about it, he's doing SAP customization with a view to customs, sadly he's not really legal.

!!! Someone post me that link here, please !!!

Edited by Saradoc1972

"Certificate of Identity" Where to obtain...?

Actually, without an original receipt for a 2nd-hand item bought in LOS, I can see Thai Customs concluding that I had 'smuggled' the watch previously without paying the proper tax and duty, and so therefore still have to pay.

You never know how Thais are going to think. I've experienced them taking a piece of information and going off into a tangent so inconceivable, I wished I had not gotten out of bed that morning.

Edited by tkramer

"Certificate of Identity" Where to obtain...?

Customs. At the airport. Take some steps to identify your watch, maybe it's got a serial number. Take photos to attach to whatever form they have as you don't have papers.

Sorry, I'm a bit preoccupied sorting out the German regulations right now, and I wouldn't know where to begin searching for the Thai ones. This is difficult stuff and I'm making a point to know precisely what it's all about.

Time a mod closed this topic. And like several others I wonder why it was posted in the first place when the information contained in the OP has been widely clarified and corrected.

Time for a few people to take a valium and a few deep breaths and high time Phuket Gazzette focused on writing news, not history

Now wait a minute. People have speculated that the limit was raised to 80-000 or 100,000 baht. So far no definitive statement made and no link to a reference. I, for one, would like to know what the actual limit is today with a reference. And I would like to know that it it is in the works to raise the limit to 100K, is there any time table?

Does anyone have the facts???

I am about to have a friend come in from the US carrying several power tools I purchased over the Internet from the UK (230VAC, 50Hz) and had delivered to him (company would not ship to Thailand) that I CANNOT purchase here, as they are simply not available.

WHAT exactly, am I to expect? Declare them and have some overzealous agent slap a big tax on me just because he can? Or consider them within the limits, do not declare and risk big fines and confiscation? Kind of a Hobson's choice here.

Perhaps I should just pay the $200 shipping charge and have him mail them to me.

And only yesterday I read somewhere online that Thailand had dropped out of the top 10 list of best

Cities in the World.

Probably because thats a country not a city wink.png

Yes sorry about that, i realized later in the day that i had worded it wrong. Silly me, and clever you for spotting it lol.

But you know what i meant.