Zoomer X question / favour required

Can anyone tell me where to find an exploded diagram of the forks of a Zoomer X?

Or better still, has any Zoomer X owner ever taken the fork top off?

I need to know if the damper rod is fixed into the underside of the fork cap, and if so the size of the thread on the top of the rod.

OK, so forget the first question. They are damper rod forks with the rod bolted into the cap as confirmed in this video. (Sorry, don't know how to embed videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axEe7V9HJ8o

So now I just need to know the thread sizes of the large cap that threads onto the fork, and the small bolt that retains the damper rod.

Can anyone help?

OK, so forget the first question. They are damper rod forks with the rod bolted into the cap as confirmed in this video. (Sorry, don't know how to embed videos)

So now I just need to know the thread sizes of the large cap that threads onto the fork, and the small bolt that retains the damper rod.

Can anyone help?

i see zoomer and msx fork but i think they are too short, no?

Can anyone help?

Actually ll2, the "Chinese" usd forks that were in the bike originally have a steel "top hat" cap that increases the fork length beyond the length which you would measure from front spindle to the top of the tube.

Even with this "top hat" those Chinese usds were about 5cm shorter than the standard CBR forks.

If I can use Zoomer X forks (same fork as the MSX but the bottom yoke can be used from the Zoomer, but not from the MSX as it spaces the forks apart too much) with that top hat from the Chinese forks, they will actually be about 3cm longer. That is, only 2 cm shorter than the standard ones.

The 2cm difference is in fully extended position, so by pre-loading the springs a little I should be able to maintain the standard static ride height easily or be within 10mm at least.

So, if the threads of the caps of the Zoomer forks is the same as the thread on the top hat extenders that I already have, it would be a fairly simple modification to extend the damper rod to the top of the new fork top position.

One difficulty is that the Chinese top hats have a threaded hole inside the cap to accept the damper rod, whereas the Zoomer damper rods need the bolt that goes through the cap and into the rod. The Chinese damper rods have an external thread, the Zoomer rods have internal.

Depending on the thread sizes, I can either use some threaded bar to extend the damper rod, or I could drill out the caps of the top hats and use a longer bolt, with a lock nut to the same effect, but I would rather not drill those fork tops as I have not been able to find a source for replacement if it goes wrong!!

The plan looks good, but those Honda forks are not cheap, so I want to be sure that the threads of the caps are identical before I pay out....

Edited by Overandout
  • Like 1

^ Measured at 700 or 720mm I think?

Can't remember exactly, but the important thing is that the Zoomer forks (with the top hat extender and extended damper rod) would be closer to the original CBR fork length than the ones that came with the bike!

Thanks for your help by the way "Vocal Neal" !

Can anyone help?

Actually ll2, the "Chinese" usd forks that were in the bike originally have a steel "top hat" cap that increases the fork length beyond the length which you would measure from front spindle to the top of the tube.

Even with this "top hat" those Chinese usds were about 5cm shorter than the standard CBR forks.

If I can use Zoomer X forks (same fork as the MSX but the bottom yoke can be used from the Zoomer, but not from the MSX as it spaces the forks apart too much) with that top hat from the Chinese forks, they will actually be about 3cm longer. That is, only 2 cm shorter than the standard ones.

The 2cm difference is in fully extended position, so by pre-loading the springs a little I should be able to maintain the standard static ride height easily or be within 10mm at least.

So, if the threads of the caps of the Zoomer forks is the same as the thread on the top hat extenders that I already have, it would be a fairly simple modification to extend the damper rod to the top of the new fork top position.

One difficulty is that the Chinese top hats have a threaded hole inside the cap to accept the damper rod, whereas the Zoomer damper rods need the bolt that goes through the cap and into the rod. The Chinese damper rods have an external thread, the Zoomer rods have internal.

Depending on the thread sizes, I can either use some threaded bar to extend the damper rod, or I could drill out the caps of the top hats and use a longer bolt, with a lock nut to the same effect, but I would rather not drill those fork tops as I have not been able to find a source for replacement if it goes wrong!!

The plan looks good, but those Honda forks are not cheap, so I want to be sure that the threads of the caps are identical before I pay out....

i was not aware they are Chinese. i remember they are made in Thailand though and they were not cheap as well!

what about the fork from Tiger? sure it does not work for you?

maybe you can check this at a major crowded scooter shop as sure they should know this info if they ever worked on a zoomer.

also check 'rsv racing'. they put front end etc to small bikes too even monkey bikes. they might find a solution for you.

Can anyone help?

i was not aware they are Chinese. i remember they are made in Thailand though and they were not cheap as well!

what about the fork from Tiger? sure it does not work for you?

maybe you can check this at a major crowded scooter shop as sure they should know this info if they ever worked on a zoomer.

also check 'rsv racing'. they put front end etc to small bikes too even monkey bikes. they might find a solution for you.

I only used the word "Chinese" because that was the general consensus of a topic I put on here a few weeks back. They have no markings on them to help identify them and I have been round quite a few shops in Poonsap Market and Worachak and no-body recognises them... Not saying that they are not Thai made though.

I have looked at other USD forks, including the Tiger ones, but they are rare and using Honda parts provides various benefits; stem size is the same on the yoke, and so are the threads for the stem nuts, front spindle diameter is the same also.

The Zoomer X front end is by far the closest to the one that was in there originally, so if the threads match and the price is reasonable, it's got to be the way to go to keep things "simple"....

Thanks.

• Like 1

motorcycle in th has just published the forks parts catalogue. Maybe you can order one piece and see if it is the same as yours.

Thanks Vocal Neal! I think I've found the document you are referring to thanks.

Unfortunately, that is just one page from the catalogue which shows the fork as a a whole unit, not broken down into individual components.

I have already found (on a different site) the exploded view of the Honda catalogue for these forks, and while it is helpful to see how they are constructed, it doesn't give me the info I need.

I think that the only way is to find a Zoomer fork that someone will let me partially take apart.... I feel a return to Poonsap may be on the cards, but even though the chap there was very helpful, I can't see him letting me dismantle the goods without paying for them first!

Either that or I start roaming Bangkok with a socket set and start randomly unbolting parked bikes... w00t.giffacepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

Edited by Overandout