Bangkok metro police to deal with taxis refusing service

webfact

Ok, it's annoying, but taxi drivers should not be prosecuted for refusing fares. It's their car, it's their source of income, it's their decision. And yes I've been refused, but I've also walked away from taxis where the driver was clearly drunk or looked exhausted from working too long. Choice is a two way street with taxis.

Driving recklessly, now, that's completely different. Ban them for that, refusing a fare is one thing, endangering others a totally different one.

Agreed. And they should be required to provide seat belts in back!

Totally agree. I thought they were, but just didn't. Edited by Bluespunk

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, it's annoying, but taxi drivers should not be prosecuted for refusing fares. It's their car, it's their source of income, it's their decision. And yes I've been refused, but I've also walked away from taxis where the driver was clearly drunk or looked exhausted from working too long. Choice is a two way street with taxis.

I think you are wrong. By law they are to pick up all fares that do not pose an actual danger to them.

I think you are wrong. By law they are to pick up all fares that do not pose an actual danger to them.

I know I am wrong in terms of the law. I am just saying I don't think it should be a crime to refuse a passenger.

We are not talking about picking up drunk farang or dangerous people. We are talking about taxi drivers not picking up normal people in normal situations. Its endemic. I haven't even considered using taxis in a while, its not an option that comes to my mind anymore. Its just too damn annoying these days. Some of them have even tried interviewing me "how far down the soi? how many turns? blahblahblah. " gimme a break, if you don't like driving in traffic, don't choose taxi driver as your job.

The only place I've been refused is Sukhumvit road and thats on multiple occassions. The other times which is around 3-400 pm when the taxi has to be returned to the depot.

Soi 4 Nana the taxi mafia run the street. Four or five parked on pavements; six or seven refusing fares; eight or ten refusing to use meters. Start the clean-up here.

We are not talking about picking up drunk farang or dangerous people. We are talking about taxi drivers not picking up normal people in normal situations. Its endemic. I haven't even considered using taxis in a while, its not an option that comes to my mind anymore. Its just too damn annoying these days. Some of them have even tried interviewing me "how far down the soi? how many turns? blahblahblah. " gimme a break, if you don't like driving in traffic, don't choose taxi driver as your job.

Maybe you should try using them again then, because, outside of late nights in town, it is very rare that a taxi refuses to take me where I want to go.

It happens and it annoys the crap out of me when it does, but it is stupid to make it a crime that the police need to deal with.

Internal discipline within a company is the most it deserves and even then I'm not sure I'd complain.

Edited by Bluespunk

SOME of these problems could be eliminated this EASY way,,, Run BTS/MRT 24hrs.... by shutting them down at 12,, you're putting the choice to take/turn down a fare, in the TAXI'S hands,,, IF they knew, people could opt for BTS/MRT,, My guess is, they'll start taking more fares, ON THE METER!,,,,

Driving recklessly, now, that's completely different. Ban them for that, refusing a fare is one thing, endangering others a totally different one.

Agreed. It is a taxi driver's right to say yes or no to a destination, IMHO.

If a taxi driver is planning on knocking off in 30 mins, then gets a fayre which takes him/her to the other side of BKK, as an example, 100Km away from home... why should he not have the right to only accept a few fayres which keep him within range of home, and his knocking off time? There are many such examples of a taxi drivers right to accept or refuse a fayre. Should a taxi have to accept a passenger who is inebriated, for example? The list is endless... and it's not a long wait in most places for another taxi to come passing.

They are very annoying how they refuse the fare, and they massively abuse this making it very hard and stressful for people.

The rule should be if they don’t want your business, then they use their radios and find another taxi for you.

If a taxi driver is planning on knocking off in 30 mins, then gets a fayre which takes him/her to the other side of BKK, as an example, 100Km away from home... why should he not have the right to only accept a few fayres which keep him within range of home, and his knocking off time? There are many such examples of a taxi drivers right to accept or refuse a fayre. Should a taxi have to accept a passenger who is inebriated, for example? The list is endless... and it's not a long wait in most places for another taxi to come passing.

A driver offered a fare for 100km is not going to choose to go home. No way, no how. Not even for his own birthday party.

I can assure you they do refuse and have on many occasions.

If they stay fairly local, the chances of picking up another fair where you dropped off are high. So they earn more.

If you go over 100km out of your area the chances of picking up another fair back to your area is low. So you earn less.

I only visit Bangkok rather than living or working there but the fare system seems a bit unfair (sorry for the pun) on the drivers.

If a journey is going to involve a lot of time in a jam, not moving then during that stationary time the meter doesn't move as far as I can tell, which is going to impact on the profit from the fare. Unless I've got it wrong it would seem a good idea if the meter ran whilst stationary, albeit at a much slower rate.

Agreed. And they should be required to provide seat belts in back!

Totally agree. I thought they were, but just didn't.

Most often they have them but they're jammed under the back seat.

Had one on Sunday: wanted 200 , no meter. I got the next one, actual fare 87, so with tip ( ...and grateful even for 13 Baht) half the ask of the first. They are a time wasting nuisance but hardly illegal.

The answer is actually quite simple. Taxis should be able to refuse a fare within 1 hour of their shift ending, and should display a special light to warn people in advance of this possibility. other than that they should be suspened 3 days for first offence and 3 months for second offence. They should lose their licence immediately for refusing to use the meter .

• 8 months later...

Just an update as to how the "must take passenger" is not working. I went to the British Consulate today in Soi 13 and came out a few minutes after 2pm. Three taxi's stopped but none would take me to Rangsit area.

The fourth driver did. The drive took 40 minutes and he was on his way to another fare.

It is suggested as a lot of people, British and other nationalities, use the Consulate in Soi 13 the authorities start checking the cabs in the area. All the drivers were polite but refused outright to go to my destination.

Just an update as to how things have not changed

Edited by gandalf12

• 2 months later...

Today I tried to get a taxi from Soi 4 to DMK Airport. No taxi would take me unless I paid 500thb plus toll fees. All refused to use the meter & I tried at least 10 before getting one who accepted 300thb plus fees.

The trip took 40 mins & the usual meter charge is 120 to 150 thb plus tolls.

Once again amazing Thailand!!!

Today I tried to get a taxi from Soi 4 to DMK Airport. No taxi would take me unless I paid 500thb plus toll fees. All refused to use the meter & I tried at least 10 before getting one who accepted 300thb plus fees.

The trip took 40 mins & the usual meter charge is 120 to 150 thb plus tolls.

Once again amazing Thailand!!!

With meter is 255thb

Seriously? ... and about 10 people like this post?

I stayed at Baiyoke for a few days. It was impossible to flag down a meter-taxi to take you to Central on the meter. If you get in and refuse to pay their price, they stop and tell you to get out.

This is what you consider acceptable practice for Bangkok taxis.

Sure, if they have a good reason to refuse passengers - such as drunk or offensive, for example, that's fair enough, but just because it's inconvenient for them. You hear this excuse all the time: "traffic", "traffic", can't go there. This is clearly ridiculous in a city which is nearly always congested.

The right to refuse a fare may well be justified however that is not the buggers that gets my dander up. It is the grinning scumbags who hang around entertainment areas looking for the easy pickings and will only take you on a fixed fare basis which in normally 200/250% of the metered fare minimum. Suburban Bangkok is generally not a problem and most taxi's are happy to get the business, but these despot taxi's that occupy the night life regions need a seeing too. When I am approached by these grinning jackals I just laugh and walk on, but it is bloody annoying.

Aye for me these scum bags are the ones that should be prosecuted.

If it is a fella I flag down on the street near me and he doesn't wanna go to say Rangsit as he is finishing his shift soon then fair enough I understand.

However let us say I leave RCA and their are the crowds of scum wanting 300 baht to go back to Victory Monument (it costs 60 baht on the meter) which is 5ks or less away should have their taxi license revoked. They will then try to barter it down to 200 and then 100. What is an extra 40 baht for you to go home some will ask? For me it isn't much sure but it is their total dishonesty in trying to get ridiculous fairs and cheating people. That is simply not on.

We won't see police cracking down at the entertainment areas though cos they get a cut from the taxi mafias.

The right to refuse a fare may well be justified however that is not the buggers that gets my dander up. It is the grinning scumbags who hang around entertainment areas looking for the easy pickings and will only take you on a fixed fare basis which in normally 200/250% of the metered fare minimum. Suburban Bangkok is generally not a problem and most taxi's are happy to get the business, but these despot taxi's that occupy the night life regions need a seeing too. When I am approached by these grinning jackals I just laugh and walk on, but it is bloody annoying.

Aye for me these scum bags are the ones that should be prosecuted.

If it is a fella I flag down on the street near me and he doesn't wanna go to say Rangsit as he is finishing his shift soon then fair enough I understand.

However let us say I leave RCA and their are the crowds of scum wanting 300 baht to go back to Victory Monument (it costs 60 baht on the meter) which is 5ks or less away should have their taxi license revoked. They will then try to barter it down to 200 and then 100. What is an extra 40 baht for you to go home some will ask? For me it isn't much sure but it is their total dishonesty in trying to get ridiculous fairs and cheating people. That is simply not on.

We won't see police cracking down at the entertainment areas though cos they get a cut from the taxi mafias.

If a car with "taxi meter" attached to the roof doesn't use its meter, it should have its licence revoked - end of story. There's an idea - give the cops cans of black paint. If the taxi is reported not to use its meter, paint the "taxi meter" sign black.biggrin.png .... or smash it off with a hammer.

It's getting harder and harder to get taxis to use meters in Bangkok and something needs to be done about it.

"If a taxi driver is planning on knocking off in 30 mins, then gets a fayre which takes him/her to the other side of BKK, as an example, 100Km away from home... why should he not have the right to only accept a few fayres which keep him within range of home, and his knocking off time?"

Because he's a taxi driver who knew the rules when he started the job and the situation that you mentioned goes with the territory, that's why. Why should they be allowed to dictate their own rules?

The best way to deal with taxis refusing passengers is to increase the fare + modify the fare structure

It has been like this forever, while the cost of living in Bangkok has changed a lot

I often get rejected by taxi drivers but I understand them.

Why would they want to drive tens of kilometers in the traffic for a few bahts? They are losing money!

Edited by Peterbkk7

Was all of May mostly in BK and we were refused usually about 2-3 times out of 10 tries. Didn't really bother us as they have the right to do that, but there were times where we had to wait awhile for a vacant taxi to come by and when they refused us and we were melting on the sidewalk from the hot sun, it was a little bit of a downer. Then, after soaking in sweat, when a taxi did take us, the AC felt 10 times more cold because we were sweating so much lol.