Chonburi: Schoolgirl escapes 'gang assault' in classroom

webfact

Schoolgirl Escapes 'Gang Assault' In Classroom
By Khaosod English

14047098181404709916l.jpg
District of Sattahip, Chonburi province (Photo by Sattahip District Office)

CHONBURI - An 8th grade schoolgirl was nearly gang-raped in her classroom by eight of her classmates, her parents told police in Chonburi province on Friday.

According to the girl's testimony, the incident took place at her school, in Sattahip district, on afternoon of 3 July when most of her classmates have left the classroom for cleaning activities around the school compound.

The victim said she was staying behind to pack up her belongings, when suddenly six of her male classmates locked the classroom and attacked her, while two more male students stood as lookouts outside the classroom.

The victim was reportedly slammed against the wall before the assailants held down on the floor and attempted to rape her. Fortunately, she said, she managed to bite one of the boy's arm, causing him so much pain that he let her go. A teacher also happened to be walking near the classroom at that moment so she was eventually rescued from the attackers, the victim added.

She also told police that the same group of attackers have sexually assaulted other girls in the same school, but those victims were too embarrassed to inform the teachers.

The girl's father said he has pressed charges against the guardians of the alleged attackers and the director of the school on the ground of negligence.

"I will not let this thing happen to my daughter or any other student ever again," the father said.

A relative of the girl also expressed her anger to our correspondent that the school staff should not have let a girl stay behind alone with other male students without supervision from the teachers. Although the school director has promised to fire all 8 students involved in the alleged attack, the relative said there should be more precaution and vigilance from the teachers to prevent such crime.

Pol.Col. Chanapan Nawalak, commander of Sattahip Police, said the police are taking the matter seriously. He said the 8 students will be summoned to the police station for interrogation, upon which they would be charged with illegal detention and sexual assaults.

Attorney-generals, psychiatrists, and social workers will be involved in the interrogation, Pol.Col. Chanapan added.

The Thai authorities recorded at least 31,866 cases of sexual violence throughout 2013, amounting to 87 cases of sexual abuse per day. A vast majority of the victims are women and children.

Experts warn that the actual statistics of sexual violence in Thailand are in fact much higher than official numbers, as many Thai women chose not to report the cases to the police, partly due to apathy among the police, social stigma, and small number of convictions of defendants in sexual violence cases.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1404709818

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-07-07

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

apathy among the police, social stigma, and small number of convictions of defendants in sexual violence cases.

this is why they should be publicly prosecuted and jailed if the police are not doing their job jail them too

Were it only apathy.

Personal experience has taught me that when a Thai woman makes a complaint of sexual abuse there is very little apathy from those who ought to be looking after her interests.

Far too often, they become very active in assisting the assailant and putting pressure on the victim to drop charges and not 'cause trouble'.

• Like 1

And it is not just here in Thailand this happens so let's be fair with the comments. I hope the full force of law is used against these boys who attacked this girl at her school

Well, apparently, they're going to be fired. w00t.gif

• Like 2

Expulsion and criminal charges for the "children" perpetrating the attacks and criminal negligence charges for the school principals and Directors.

Send a <deleted> message for once instead of brushing it under the carpet and blaming the victim as usually happens.

• Like 2

A good old pillory should be used for rapist and pedophiles .

Give these scumbags to the people for a day before putting them in jail .

The victems are scarred for life .

IMHO rape is one of the worst crimes mankind can do .

Yep, because medieval punishments were so effective in deterring crime, right? Ah, the good (really) old days...

• Like 1

"And it is not just here in Thailand this happens so let's be fair with the comments. I hope the full force of law is used against these boys who attacked this girl at her school."

I have never really comprehended the somewhat pre-emptive "but it happens elsewhere, too" argument. it's sounds unreasonably apologetic, trying to shift the blame.

The OP is a story about Thailand, recounts an incident in Thailand, and has Thai nationals involved. It is irrelevant whether similar crimes happen in Guatemala, India, Ghana, Switzerland, or anyplace else. In fact they do happen. But comments on this particular post should discuss the issue at hand.

Bravo that the girl's father is pressing charges against the alleged culprits' guardians and the school as well. I wish it would happen more often, because it seems that in Thailand parental guidance is very often neglected if not outright non-existent, even more so when the offspring happen to be males.

Eighth grade students are 14 to 15 years old. It should be reasonably assumed that they know that raping a female classmate is wrong and considered a serious crime.

What the poster of the above comment probably tried to express was that "Thai bashers" should hold back on equally unreasonable - and indeed unfair - outbursts like "Only in Thailand!" and similar ramblings. From that angle I can appreciate it.

I agree with almost all you say. At 14 to 15 years old they should indeed be aware of the seriousness of their actions. But what logic is there in prosecuting the parents / guardians of the boys involved? If this attack happened late at night or when school was out because the parents allowed the boys to do what the wanted then different matter. But the parents had ensured their children were at school. How can they be responsible for supervising their children's behavior when in school?

Exploring why the girl had been left alone in a classroom with a group of boys unsupervised and why the teacher who rescued her chose not to report this to the authorities should be pursued.

A good old pillory should be used for rapist and pedophiles .

Give these scumbags to the people for a day before putting them in jail .

The victems are scarred for life .

IMHO rape is one of the worst crimes mankind can do .

Yep, because medieval punishments were so effective in deterring crime, right? Ah, the good (really) old days...

Yes - hanging the starving for stealing a loaf of bread worked a treat. And that was 18th century Britain.

However, there has been some very liberal sentencing in recent years which has also not been effective.

Whatever they have done to the girls, the exact same thing must be done to this group of honeys. I would love to see how tough they are when they are getting banged from behind.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

hang on, what about the teacher that helped her, didnt they automatically call the police or did they just tell her to forget about it. When a teacher catches them in the act of attempted rape they are supposed to inform the authorities, just goes to show how pathetic the staff are at these schools when they simply brush it off and forget about it. Lets hope the police actually do more than have a good laugh about it.

It doesn't say; such an act needs to be reported to the police. And this was not the first attack? Sick little ba#sted's.

The boys, and their parents, will be "smacked on the fingers" and told not to do it again. End of story.

Let's see if any of these thugs are connected and also will the girl's family be bought off or scared off ?

Sad our first thought on cases in LoS are like this.

• Like 2

Pol.Col. Chanapan Nawalak, commander of Sattahip Police, said the police are taking the matter seriously.

That's refreshing...

Thai women chose not to report the cases to the police, partly due to apathy among the police

Oh...back to normal again.

sad.png

• Like 1

...so much staff in Thai schools...I have never seen 'hall monitors'.

..nor any other life forms EVER patrol the classrooms and bathrooms when one would think that they should...like Fridays after school...

the police have taken it so seriously that the boys WILL be summonsed to go to the police station... How about getting off their bottoms and going and arresting the little b*stards at their homes and cause maximum embarrassment to their families and maybe giving them a friendly little head banging accident as they get into the back of the paddy-wagons?

• Like 2