Thai Immigration Bureau to blacklist all overstayers of more than 90 days

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

won't do a thing for the long overstayers .....they know what they are doing and take the risk everyday .....go home (if they can) when caught , make legal change of first name ...

get new passport and come back start again

I bet there are loads of older guys living in upcountry Nakon Nowhere on overstay. Like those guys who have no ties to their home country, probably haven't left Thailand for a decade or more. They'll at least be hoping they don't get caught now, that's if they even care at all.

Risky business staying here on overstay, lord only knows why you'd do it.

It does seem Immigration are really tightening things up. First visa runners, now people on overstay.

Will it be Ed-Visas next?

If ED-Visas are being abused, yes, they should be next, as all abuses. This country, like any other, the UK, Germany, US, Australia and most others have laws and regulations to be abided by and not to be abused!

• Like 1

I wonder about those who let their children's visa lapse, since they had expected no fine for them on exit. Irresponsible on the parents part, no doubt. But wonder if minors under 15 will be blacklisted (effectively blacklisting the parents as well).

What if your children were born here and have never had a visa?

My kids were born here but are not Thai Citizens.

They have overstayed a bunch but there is no fine until your kids turn 12.

Are they to be black listed?

I am aware of a number people in same situation as you. Actually, I thought the age was 14 years.

• Like 1

Sorry no sympathy for any over stayers for any duration unless its for medical reasons

Even then medical reasons are not an excuse, there are provisions in the immigration law in case of medical cases

The problem is immigration often ignore the medical extension refusing to give it and tell people to simply go pay their overstay at the border.

If your in a decent private hospital they usually have liason staff, but in the case of doctors notes and the rest immigration very often waive it off with a 'too hard' attitude. Seen it myself where someone came into immigration after a head injury and hospitalization.. They didnt care in the slightest he was obviously in bandages, and had only just been released and had a hospital / doctors note saying he was unfit for travel. Just told him to go pay his fines at the border.

In the above list, if he was apprehended before getting to the border he would face a 1 year blacklist. Hardly fair.

So yes, fully support the crackdown, as long as the correct systems are put in place to handle the real issues, which immigration just sweep under the 'pay your fine' rug.

Sorry no sympathy for any over stayers for any duration unless its for medical reasons

Even then medical reasons are not an excuse, there are provisions in the immigration law in case of medical cases

I am certain medical reasons with doctors certificate would be excused, i am also pretty sure all major private hospitals offer the service of visa extension or something along the lines.

I remember having the surgery in Bangkok Hospital and at the time of registering was asked if i needed my visa extended or immigration notified.

The part of 5 year ban for being apprehended for an overstay of under one year, that could be ONE DAY, is in my opinion unreasonably HARSH. No I have never overstayed for even one day and don't intend to, but I can imagine unfortunate scenarios where that might unintentionally happen to me, to anyone.

If I'm reading this correctly, an under 90 day overstay where you make it to the airport and pay the fine WITHOUT apprehension, you're OK to come back. That's good.

Suppose you're in a traffic accident on the way to the airport and your passport is checked ...

Like I said ... that 5 year ban is scary.

Foreigners who applaud unreasonably harsh rules like this, I can't relate to that at all. It's bizarre actually. It could be YOU who is hit, whether you admit your human fallibility or not ... IT COULD.

On the other hand, I'm sure hard core Thai nationalists might go for even more severe penalties ... but I'm talking about fellow foreigners here. Why would you identify with hard core and possibly xenophobic Thai nationalists unless you're actually one yourself?

You get a visa and don't leave on the last day but a couple of days early and get an other visa if you want to stay longer. Can't understand people who find out their passport is full a day before the need a full page visa too.

• Like 2

Im not sure why someone would bother trying to overstay anyway. In ANY country in the world it's illegal and courting disaster. I actually hope that all these recent shakedowns will help rid the country of some of the scurvy bilge that is found clinging to the vestiges of their sorry lives in this beautiful land.

I agree; if the outcome is that those of us who stay here within the confines of the law end up with less hoops to jump through, then I'll raise my glass (from afar) to those who made it so through their deportation...!!

Totally in agreement with this. Frankly thete is no excuse. What it will mean is that in time scratchers wont consider overstsying as an option. I think ED visas will be the next target

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Now I understand the immigration officer's attitude while he examined my passport last saturday.

I was at the airport leaving Samui for Kuala Lumpur on July 5th in the afternoon, after a 30 days / 29 nights stay in Thailand...he said to me : " hummmm...today.. the last day.." ( as if he wanted to warn me I was about to trespass regulation) , then " when will you come back?" I politely replied " next year" ( I stay for one month each year- he could check last year's stamps on my passport), and refrained from adding " so what?".

I never had any conversation with any officer on duty, whenever entering or leaving the Kingdom before that day.. !

Edited by Opl

I wonder about those who let their children's visa lapse, since they had expected no fine for them on exit. Irresponsible on the parents part, no doubt. But wonder if minors under 15 will be blacklisted (effectively blacklisting the parents as well).

What if your children were born here and have never had a visa?

My kids were born here but are not Thai Citizens.

They have overstayed a bunch but there is no fine until your kids turn 12.

Are they to be black listed?

If they were born here and have not yet left the country for the first time, it's not technically an overstay. In that case, they process the kids on the way out. Pretty routine.

The problem is immigration often ignore the medical extension refusing to give it and tell people to simply go pay their overstay at the border.

If your in a decent private hospital they usually have liason staff, but in the case of doctors notes and the rest immigration very often waive it off with a 'too hard' attitude. Seen it myself where someone came into immigration after a head injury and hospitalization.. They didnt care in the slightest he was obviously in bandages, and had only just been released and had a hospital / doctors note saying he was unfit for travel. Just told him to go pay his fines at the border.

In the above list, if he was apprehended before getting to the border he would face a 1 year blacklist. Hardly fair.

So yes, fully support the crackdown, as long as the correct systems are put in place to handle the real issues, which immigration just sweep under the 'pay your fine' rug.

No, he would have gotten an extension on medical grounds.

I hope there are the usual exemptions such as 'Medical' etc.

No problem to get extension of stay from immigrations if unable to travel.

Thats factually not the case tho.. They fall back to the 'go away and pay a fine' rather than process them all too often.

I don't disagree with this change at all.

I do have a single question though... Will there be a grandfather clause in there? Meaning people who for whatever reason, rightly or wrongly, have overstayed in the past, will not be slapped with a retroactive ban.

This is a rather large change, with much harsher repercussions for overstayers. In my opinion, those that have previously paid a fine, should not be blacklisted retroactively, they have been punished under the old (and yes very lax and easy) overstay rules already.

Without this clause, I know at least a dozen people who won't be coming back to Thailand for quite some time the next time they have to leave the country, or even do a 90 day run, due to the fact they have overstayed in the past, despite being clean now.

Now I understand the immigration officer's attitude while he examined my passport last saturday.

I was at the airport leaving Samui for Kuala Lumpur on July 5th in the afternoon, after a 30 days / 29 nights stay in Thailand...he said to me : " hummmm...today.. the last day.." ( as if he wanted to warn me I was about to trespass regulation) , then " when will you come back?" I politely replied " next year" ( I stay for one month each year- he could check last year's stamps on my passport) refraining to add " so what?".

I never had any conversation with any officer on duty, whenever entering or leaving the Kingdom before that day.. !

Since we are in the business of predictions, speculation and vague prognostications here on Thaivisa, allow me to suggest that there will be a lot more 'conversations' with people entering - and in some cases leaving - Thailand before the end of 2014 and they won't all end as happily as yours did. Read some of the other threads about people being bounced at the border and your restraint might just have saved you some grief. Be happy.

Pretty lenient I think.

If you overstay in the EU/US then chances are you aren't ever going to be allowed back in.

Maybe the eu but anyone can sneak in and stay in the usa! They'll even give you a ride to a distant relatives house for free.

• Like 1

I hope there are the usual exemptions such as 'Medical' etc.

No problem to get extension of stay from immigrations if unable to travel.

Thats factually not the case tho.. They fall back to the 'go away and pay a fine' rather than process them all too often.

Actually it is in some cases, the private hospitals actually have staff who organise this for you, so suspect your making a sweeping statement, which is not 100% true, could we say in some cases immigration tell people to go and pay the fine ?