Thai Immigration Bureau to blacklist all overstayers of more than 90 days

Are there any reliable transition managers who could take care for businesses in case their owners have to stay abroad for longer holidays than planned?

Edited by Opl

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I mean really what is gained for all the headaches of these visa's??,,

You might say look at all the revenue that is gained by the country. Well after all the staff and buildings and tonnes of wasted paper how much money do they make? These long termers will only spend what money they have in the community paying taxes & Vat, it all goes back to the country eventually. The visa restrictions just do exactly that put people off from coming or take away part of their spending budget that would have gone back into the system.

So what about the undesirables . Well from what I see the real undesirables will be picked up and arrested sooner or later ( If they don’t, well maybe they weren’t undesirables in the first place) If the system wasn’t so corrupt they would be booted out at that point. However I see plenty of undesirables, thugs criminal gangs , real estate frauds, con men allowed to continue there existence here because they pay of the right people and are allowed to stay despite numerous arrests .

So all the visa thing is for as far as I can see is to annoy everybody and send a message that Thailand is for Thais and that you might be permitted to stay for now, but we can change the law tomorrow and get rid of you just like that like that then we’ll have all your nice Villas and cars and we who wield the power will grow richer from your losses and laugh at the dumb farang who thought he was above us just because he thought he had more money.( then the statement would be followed by manic laughter)

Edited by epicstuff
  • Like 2

Thinking out loud. If the Ed visa is also successfully tightened up - and it should be - it could leave us with just a core expat population who are here within the law contributing to Thai society living here on the correct visa. The next stage surely would be easier extensions (marriage or retirement) and who knows the ridiculous 90 day report might become a thing of the past. I would gladly pay 10000 up front for a 5 year visa, where perhaps the 90 day report could be replaced with a 365 day one. Just thinking out loud and hoping this is read by the Immigration Minister / Commander.

What an amazing logic you have there. All other visas are being restricted but you fool think they will leave alone retirement visas and make them somehow easier?! What kind of retirement age is 50 years anyway. Let's put it 65 and 5 000 000 Baht bank account and see how you hypocrites start screaming!

The long term retirees with multiple tourist visas btw outnumber at least 5 to 1 actual retirement visas. This is bad for condo markets, bad for business, bad for Thailand but these officials just do not care. So typical.

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 1

it would seem to me there might be some old timers that have gone local an live a thai style life in Nakor nowhere with their wife's/family

BUT it would also seem to me that as a Farang everyone knows you in these small villages so it would not be hard to find them

Hope it doesn't affect children under 12 or whatever the age is that they let it slip....

If you don't have / need a Visa then you cannot "Overstay".

Patrick

Officially they need a visa, in practice immigration doesn't fine kids under the age of 14. Don;'t know if this is a law or an unwritten rule. Now will they become part of the "blacklisting" thing is the question.

If a child enters Thailand other than via its Mothers' birth canal whilst here in the Country they need a Visa - there may be a silent agreement not to charge Overstay if the child does not exit in accordance with their Visa but I am not at all sure of that, rather doubt it actually.

The only situation which I know is true is that if a child is born in Thailand he / she will not be charged "Overstay" when he / she leaves for the first time - at least unless the child is older than early teens - because, obviously, the child does not have a Visa.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

I disagree. They are harsh. Just because another country may ALSO have harsh laws does not mean THESE laws are not harsh. That is NOT logical. Again ... think for a second, a potential 5 year ban for a ONE DAY overstay. That's harsh no matter how you spin it.

So far the information says up to a year but it doesn't give a minimum amount. I'd be surprised at a one day overstay resulting in the 5 year ban being implemented. We'll have to wait for some sort of clarification on a minimum amount.

Gotta love the posts applauding these new rules.

I wonder if the same people will cheer as well when Immigration imposes further restrictions on marriage/retirement visas.

I make an effort to live within the law, and believe that all other foreigners should too. Of course sometimes it can be frustrating, but I'm confident that getting a visa to live in my country of birth is far more difficult and costly.

I don't "applaud" the clampdown but I do support it, and am of the mind that perhaps the current thresholds for marriage/retirement visas should be raised. From what I've seen and heard there are far too many foreigners gaming the system or brazenly living outside the law.

What a load of rot you do talk. You want to make it harder for the very people who are contributing so much to Thailands economy. This has got to be a troll post.

Bugger ... that's going to stuff up a lot of the plans of the overstayers.

I hope there are the usual exemptions such as 'Medical' etc.

I don't think people actually plan to overstay. It's just that circumstances tend to overtake them and they get in a mess.

Best of luck to all people in that situation.

I am sure you are right but it is reasonable for the Thai authorities to decide they don't want people who get in such a mess to come back again in a hurry.

It's unlikely that medical reasons or a missed connection would result in an overstay long enough to result in a ban but in genuine circumstances I think they could make an exception, e.g. someone in a coma or who can't be moved for medical reasons. Immigration come to major hospitals like Bamrungrad, Samitivej and Bangkok Hospital to arrange visa extensions for patients who can't make it to Chaengwattana.

The lifetime blacklisting for overstayers of over 10 years has a different nuances in Thailand where one lifetime is not forever. In the next life these people may have a chance to visit their beloved Thailand again, assuming they come back as humans, but, if they have not behaved well they might return as Burmese slave labourers.

• Like 1

Thinking out loud. If the Ed visa is also successfully tightened up - and it should be - it could leave us with just a core expat population who are here within the law contributing to Thai society living here on the correct visa. The next stage surely would be easier extensions (marriage or retirement) and who knows the ridiculous 90 day report might become a thing of the past. I would gladly pay 10000 up front for a 5 year visa, where perhaps the 90 day report could be replaced with a 365 day one. Just thinking out loud and hoping this is read by the Immigration Minister / Commander.

You are an example of a selfish expat we certainly do not need in Thailand.

• Like 1

The long term retirees with multiple tourist visas btw outnumber at least 5 to 1 actual retirement visas. This is bad for condo markets, bad for business, bad for Thailand but these officials just do not care. So typical.

Don't know where you take these figures from, but they seem very wrong to me.

- Most retirees I know use the "1-year extension because of Retirement" option.

- A few ones use non-O or non-OA because they like to make a trip back to their country

every year or every 2 years and in this case the non-O/OA is an easy way for them.

- I know a very few people who (try to) live here on Tourist visa, but none of them is retired.

5:1? No way.

Edited by Pattaya46

Pretty lenient I think.

If you overstay in the EU/US then chances are you aren't ever going to be allowed back in.

Jing these measures are by no means harsh, they are pretty fair, overstay in the US and you will find yourself possibly on the end of a 5 year ban from entering the US.

Both of you haven't a clue about the status of US border security... If you had, you would not have made this claim... Yes, the law is one thing but reality is much, much different than anyone could imagine...

• Like 2

I disagree. They are harsh. Just because another country may ALSO have harsh laws does not mean THESE laws are not harsh. That is NOT logical. Again ... think for a second, a potential 5 year ban for a ONE DAY overstay. That's harsh no matter how you spin it.

If you don't like it, then..............................................

Overstay by more than 10 years and then turn yourself in = a lifetime ban

Overstay by more than 10 years and then keep your head down until caught = a 10-year ban.

TIT logic at its finest, I think!

You missed the part about being locked up until you come up with the cash (and an airline ticket), and you don't exactly get to get your affairs in order and choose when you leave- if you're caught out.

Im not sure why someone would bother trying to overstay anyway. In ANY country in the world it's illegal and courting disaster. I actually hope that all these recent shakedowns will help rid the country of some of the scurvy bilge that is found clinging to the vestiges of their sorry lives in this beautiful land.

its illegal bla bla bla,,, perhaps if countries around the world stopped being so anal about foreign visitors of independent means , there might be less friction and a greater spread of culture, understanding of social and work ethics. Why should anyone be shackled to any one country just because they were born there...

stop bleating on about the law and stand up against it for the good of change.

Rebel without a cause. You want to stand up against it,do it alone,the thought of a Thai prison scares me stiff.

• Like 1

So far the information says up to a year but it doesn't give a minimum amount. I'd be surprised at a one day overstay resulting in the 5 year ban being implemented. We'll have to wait for some sort of clarification on a minimum amount.

That would be welcome. As it stands I think my reading is correct,

It depends how you read the OP. It could mean 5 years ban if you are caught overstaying under one year, but over 90 days. It could also mean what you say, but let's wait for clarification before jumping to conclusions. Also, you have the option to report the overstay yourself before you're caught. So in your example, report the overstay before having an accident and being asked for your passport.

Plan ahead more, don't leave on the last day, etc. These are also sensible precautions that are easy to take. Why would you even overstay for a day if you knew there was such a harsh penalty? Seriously, exactly how many genuine reason are there to overstay. You can get extensions of stay of genuine emergencies like not being able to travel. Most overstays that I have read about on this forum could have been easily avoided. Usually the overstay doesn't care because in the past there haven't been any negative consequences. I can't even remember reading a genuine reason that someone overstayed.

I read that (in the US) a name change in the court costs $200 and a new passport costs $120. Problem solved?

But they are "swreced" when in the new passport it says "Replacement for Old Password followed by <Number of old Passport>" , but I don't know if that is the case in the US, in Europe it is.

Gotta love the posts applauding these new rules.

I wonder if the same people will cheer as well when Immigration imposes further restrictions on marriage/retirement visas.

I make an effort to live within the law, and believe that all other foreigners should too. Of course sometimes it can be frustrating, but I'm confident that getting a visa to live in my country of birth is far more difficult and costly.

I don't "applaud" the clampdown but I do support it, and am of the mind that perhaps the current thresholds for marriage/retirement visas should be raised. From what I've seen and heard there are far too many foreigners gaming the system or brazenly living outside the law.

What a load of rot you do talk. You want to make it harder for the very people who are contributing so much to Thailands economy. This has got to be a troll post.

What percentage of Thai GDP do you think can be directly linked to foreigners who are living outside the visa laws?

One of the most ridiculous fantasies repeatedly posted on this forum is that the Thai economy would be in shambles were it not for the foreigners.

And no, I'm not referring to all foreign investment, but rather the singlet laden bore who thinks that the 6 large Leos he buys at 7-11 and somtam from a street vendor are what's keeping the economy afloat

You tell your Farang friends, that is, if you have any, that they should be contributing more to Thailand, and see what they tell you.

I wonder about those who let their children's visa lapse, since they had expected no fine for them on exit. Irresponsible on the parents part, no doubt. But wonder if minors under 15 will be blacklisted (effectively blacklisting the parents as well).

What if your children were born here and have never had a visa?

My kids were born here but are not Thai Citizens.

They have overstayed a bunch but there is no fine until your kids turn 12.

Are they to be black listed?

I am aware of a number people in same situation as you. Actually, I thought the age was 14 years.

If the mother is Thai they are Thai and can get a Thai passport.

What about the old guy who is retired here and just forgets to get his extension and overstays. Getting old does cause people to forget .... even important things. I hope there is some lead way or there is going to be some real problems.

or me who's only crime is to be disorganized and forgetful.. How many times over the years have I just forgotten or been sick when it was time or found the visa bus full or unable to get a flight at the last minute or forgot about some public holiday, or misread all the bleed*ng visa staps plastered randomly all over my passport or my accountant screwing up my work permit and not filing my non B as she usually does because her mum died but leaving me to pick up a few weeks of overstay, When I think how much I've lost because of this Visa cr*p, that could have been better spent on my family instead of the stress those situations have caused....

• Like 1

What percentage of Thai GDP do you think can be directly linked to foreigners who are living outside the visa laws?

One of the most ridiculous fantasies repeatedly posted on this forum is that the Thai economy would be in shambles were it not for the foreigners.

And no, I'm not referring to all foreign investment, but rather the singlet laden bore who thinks that the 6 large Leos he buys at 7-11 and somtam from a street vendor are what's keeping the economy afloat

You tell your Farang friends, that is, if you have any, that they should be contributing more to Thailand, and see what they tell you.

So, your average Farang contributes a lot to Thailand's economy, but, yet, refuses to contribute?

Your posts do not make much sense, buddy.

There would be a host of elderly over stayers here that wouldn't even have a valid passport,they get pension payments paid into a gf or wife's account. Don't drive and lay low.

I knew one man in Bangkok, who has subsequently passed away, but he just didn't care what happened to him years before he died.His gf is probably still getting his aged pension.