Traffic Cops running amok in Chiang Mai

spartacusfreethought

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a full , unlimited bike licence (and car etc) and also a "international drivers permit". Assuming everything else is in order such as tax / ins etc and i havent commited a traffic infringement , what paperwork do i need to carry , in order to avoid any "charges".

If you reside in Thailand then a Thai driver's license. International license might just work for a short term holiday maker, or it may not.

And a copy of the registration booklet of the vehicle.

And your passport. I'm now carrying my actual passport again due to the increased police lunacy.

I have a full , unlimited bike licence (and car etc) and also a "international drivers permit". Assuming everything else is in order such as tax / ins etc and i havent commited a traffic infringement , what paperwork do i need to carry , in order to avoid any "charges".

If a 'resident,' the IDL is only good for a few months (despite its own one-year validity.) When using an IDL, you are required to carry your home country's valid drivers license as well. (This requirement is usually printed inside the IDL.) Otherwise, depending upon the vehicle, a Thai car driver's license or Thai motorcycle driver's license.

You should have a copy of your ownership book (Green book, required,) and copy of insurance (don't know if actually required but I was once asked to produce it.) You should have your passport (required by law,) but in most cases police will accept a photocopy that shows your latest entry stamp. I put my passport and entry stamp, Green book and insurance card on two sides of a single A4 paper so it takes up virtually no space in my wallet. Cop can see everything at a glance and you're on your way again quickly.

When stopped, you smile and give him your license. If he asks, give him the paper. He hands it back, smiles and says 'Have a nice day.' You drive off. Usually faster if you have a Thai driver's license. Maybe 30-60 seconds out of your day and no drama.

• Like 1

I have found that the road block have been for the sole purpose of checking vehicles for tax, I have been stopped 3 times in a few days, I was not singled out as a farang and once they saw my tax was in order I was waved through in all cases.

It is reasonable to check for tax I think.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There's been no change in the frequency or number of these checks, it's the same as before, I must drive through two a day every day. And why it is that others get stopped frequently and I never get stopped, remains a mystery.

Nah, there's loads more checkpoints in CM the last two weeks.
There was even one in Mae Rim today, never ever seen one in Mae Rim before.

Imposing martial law doesn't suspend civil law. Martial law in Thailand has the following features:

The military now has powers to detain people without a warrant for up to one week, to seize property, and to search people or property without a court order. It also provides the military with impunity from claims for compensation.

There is no mention of the suspension of civil law especially minor things like traffic laws.

I got stopped in the SW corner of the moat about a week ago. They were checking tourists for an International DL since you cannot drive with a regular DL. When I showed him my 5 year motorbike license he called over someone else who asked me if the bike was mine. I responded it was and he waved me on.

The military is cracking down on everything. In their move for reforms and stopping corruption. Read the news once and a while. its not hard to figure out why the police are actually out their doing their job now.

have to agree here. it seems a lot of people don't watch or read the Thai news. there are crackdowns in every department; immigration, police, customs, education, the post...

corruption is what was destroying the country. reform is the only hope.

Ah! Yes, limegreenpotato, you are here so long and with such "wisdom!"

Or, perhaps, you have been here a while longer. That is difficult to say because there are still many unregerated aging "hippies" living in Chiang Mai who would agree with you as well as miscellaneous Ayn Rand affectionados (who apparently haven't read anything since adolescence) who seem to think that they are constantly persecuted by Chiang Mai traffic police or the "foollish laws and regulations" of the country they have decided to settle in by default or intention.

You say, basicallly that "we" all know this reform is only going to last for a year or two when the new government comes in and then go away. All the crackdown is is just a temporary limited pain in the butt. And so on. Correct? Probably wrong, and very wrong sooner than you think. Those in power now do, in many respects, represent the general view of expatriates held by many Thai people in Chiang Mai, certainly. regardless of any other views of recent political changes. Change takes time. We are not talking about any version of bokor harem here. We are talking about a government that has some very legitimate concerns shared with many Thais who are not at all interested in any sort of "repression."

So, what is suggested, quite simply in a very pedestrian manner, is simply to do the legally needful, or move on. No one is holding you here.

What the hell are you talking about? I wasn't complaining about the police doing their job now. Way to waste an hour of your life writing this nonsense.

I have found that the road block have been for the sole purpose of checking vehicles for tax, I have been stopped 3 times in a few days, I was not singled out as a farang and once they saw my tax was in order I was waved through in all cases.

It is reasonable to check for tax I think.

After reading all the posts, I guess I married a smart woman. At her advise years ago, I keep a photo copy of passport pages, TDL, my yellow house book, ownership papers on both bike and car, in or on each vehicle, current tax sticker, ins. co. covering each vehicle, as well as my actual TDL in wallet. Should I ever lose my wallet, I still have a TDL copy in vehicle.

I have been stopped only a few times, giving a smile, a swadee kruhp, sobaidee mai kruhp, show all the copies with TDL and typically the policeman or military will smile, joke a little with me, and then thank me and send me on. Only once was I tagged because that day, I had taken my copy of green book out of saddle bag of motorcycle, for some reason and not put it back. He had me there. As it turned out, he wanted B400. I opened my wallet and showed him I only had B120. He took it and sent me on my way. Lesson learned; keep less than 200B in wallet, the rest stuffed in a pocket.

Worth mentioning, I was wearing a helmet, i ride a Lifan 250, modified to look like a harley (without the badges and stickers). That day, I saw them looking at me while stopped for red on the other side of intersection. Sure enough light turns green, I proceed thru intersection and one of them waves me over. I stopped, he walked up, froze mid step, stared at the tank and said in English, ''Oi, Lifan!'' Surprised look on his face. I smiled, wai'd and said, ''Mai Harley. Pang mak''. He looked rather disappointed.

There's a story in here somewhere about the location of the police check points but I'm not sure what it is. I live in Watkate which is East of the river and with only the very occasional exception there are never any check points until you get to the super highway (sometimes see one on the river road between the Garrison and the Electricity company).

Narwate Bridge is infamous for them, presumably because the Governors mansion and the police station are nearby. The remainder seem to be at various points around the Moat at different times, the turning off the Moat road heading towards Airport Plaza is a favorite of late.

So what's the logic, or is that asking too much?

The occasional checkpoint is much preferable to constant, nitpicking, sub-minor, traffic stops - the kind they routinely use in the USA. In Thailand, just have your required documents and you'll have no problem. If things changed at these checkpoints - such as body searches and USA style harassment, then it is time to be concerned.

• Like 2

My problem (which I am in the process of rectifying) Is that my Thai drivers license is for auto only... I drive a motorbike in the city and daily they stop me around the moat or on the Narwate bridge... After a thorough check of my sticker he turns over my license "Motorcy mai dai"... Said with a big grin like he won the lottery... I have no problem with a 200 baht ticket... But half the time it turns into a "you pay now dai mai?..."... So an excellent exercise in civic duty turns into a shakedown for money... All of this goes on in plain view of the Chiang Mai governor's mansion!

Please to the Generals in Bangkok - Can we have some of your anti corruption love up here in the north!

Edited by sfokevin

I havent been stopped in US in 12 years to just check papers, State Bulls once did here in Florida on side roads and they do NOT go on interstates, Let you drive as fast as you, sometimes with radar coming into tampa o 75 freeway that goes thru

the city. Love Florida on interstates but be careful for radar on state roads. I travel a 100 mph on freeways for long distance

but some states are much more watching. but never a roadblock. I remember getting stopped in 2010 in Pattaya a couple

of times with a 110 cc bike with a international dr license. No good no more? They always get worse and worse trying to

get money from you (State though) not the cops. thanks for tip. What if you just have a 3 month visa, still need Thai DL?

I expected this, non thais hate wrong doers u ntil they do it themselves. Whats wrong with being pulled over for a spot check, the cops are doing their jobs, no doubt made to, by the nice flower giving general. No bribes any more, pay your dues and get legal

I havent been stopped in US in 12 years to just check papers, State Bulls once did here in Florida on side roads and they do NOT go on interstates, Let you drive as fast as you, sometimes with radar coming into tampa o 75 freeway that goes thru

the city. Love Florida on interstates but be careful for radar on state roads. I travel a 100 mph on freeways for long distance

but some states are much more watching. but never a roadblock. I remember getting stopped in 2010 in Pattaya a couple

of times with a 110 cc bike with a international dr license. No good no more? They always get worse and worse trying to

get money from you (State though) not the cops. thanks for tip. What if you just have a 3 month visa, still need Thai DL?

Com'on Farmer Floyd......100 mph ,,,,, long distance.... I have a home in the Tampa - St Pete area.... so I must say that I think you have your manure spreader out....

I got pulled over in town last year, was new in town, got lost around the moat, just by a check point, the one way system through me... any way and easy 500 baht for the cop to pocket.

I wasn't aware of the amount you're supposed to bribe em, I paid too much!

Anyway, what's the actual fine, 200 baht? I had my bike locked in Nimmen, and had to pay 200 to have it unlocked.

If they're pulling every westerner they see over, even wearing helmets, while Thai's whizz by with no helmets, that's pretty much racial profiling in my book.

A point to note is that when martial law was announced and the constitution suspended civilian laws are no longer in effect - fact. In addition, police demanding 'pay now' money is corrupt, and like garden weeds will only get worse. Failure for any officer to produce verifiable identification nullifies their right to official statues, therefore one person (legal fiction) asking another person for anything is voluntarily acted upon. Failure for the officer concerned to even give a name or the name of his ranking superior is suspicious behaviour. Even more suspicious is/was the reluctance to issue a ticket, with the emphasis on wanting cash there and then.

Oh well, mai pen rai?

I live in Phuket and I haven't seen any of these check points here, I don't carry my passport with me when out and about, instead I carry a color copy of the passport/ visa pages, that I got at a Kodak shop and had it laminated, I don't always want to be on-guard all the time worrying about purse snatchers. If your carrying a large amount of cash, best to wear a money belt.

If you ride a bicycle in Chiang Mai, the police will never stop you, unless you are naked or behaving strangely. Other benefits: healthy exercise (except for breathing polluted air); no helmet law (still a good idea, though); ability to slip through any traffic jam with ease; no taxation, no petrol, no "carbon footprint". I'll stop now, as I know this comes off as tedious self-righteous smuggery, of which there is already too much of in these forums.

Tip: I hardly ever see a police checkpoint operating in the heat of the afternoon in CM. Those form-fitting polyester uniforms must get awfully hot.

• Like 2

The cops in Phuket seem to have changed their strategy, or at least where I live. Single police on intersections picking up motorbike riders for the usual, helmet infringements etc. Notably, more Thais are receiving fines.

There are many more traffic police check points in Chiang Mai now that used to be the case. I see at least one everyday I am out on my motorcycle. I carry an IDL, photocopy of my passport, copy of the green book and insurance papers. The last time I got stopped the cop said the IDL was only good for 60 days and wanted to see the visa stamp for my last entry. I didn't have a copy of that page and he started to give me a hard time but eventually another cop came over and they spoke in Thai. The cop then handed me back my papers and told me I could go.

Although valid for one year, in most countries the IDL is only good for a limited period of time from the date of entry into that country, and one must carry a valid license issued in the home country for that type of vehicle. In Japan, getting caught using an IDL after 6 months in the country can result in deportation. Thailand's rule is either 3 months or 6 months (I really can't remember which,) and then subject to a small fine.

Edited by FolkGuitar

I've only seen good things coming from the traffic police crackdown.

The area near the street food vendors around Chiang Mai Gate by the moat has long been a big traffic mess. Motorcycles park on the road near the food carts, then tuk tuks and songthaews double and triple park next to them, waiting around for passengers while blocking the road. Many times it has taken me 10 minutes or longer to get through that area in my car because they had traffic almost completely blocked, with traffic backed up a long way. Late afternoon and early evening were the worst times.

Not now! :-) In the last week I've driven through there many times in late afternoon or early evening with no major traffic backups. Only a few tuk tuks and songthaews parked around but not blocking virtually the entire road anymore. Traffic cops on motorcycles keeping the road open.

• Like 1

Report them to the army since it is under the martial law and do not be afraid because these idiots have to listen to the army. Its a good opportunity to give them a hard time for harassing the innocents. Just don't give in.

You are lucky, they are hanging around the toll booths in Bangkok and telling you you were speeding after you pay the toll. I worked it out, while you pay the toll, a traffic cop on foot writes down your plate number on his clipboard and a speed he comes up with next to it, blocks you from getting much past the toll gate, shows his clipboard to you and points to your plate number and a photo-copy of something in Thai aside from the Bht 1,000 that is on it twice. Then asks for your license and says "camera, 7 days police station" "Or Bht 1,000 now" with his hand out.

There are many more traffic police check points in Chiang Mai now that used to be the case. I see at least one everyday I am out on my motorcycle. I carry an IDL, photocopy of my passport, copy of the green book and insurance papers. The last time I got stopped the cop said the IDL was only good for 60 days and wanted to see the visa stamp for my last entry. I didn't have a copy of that page and he started to give me a hard time but eventually another cop came over and they spoke in Thai. The cop then handed me back my papers and told me I could go.

I agree that we should not roll over and pay a bribe to these guys. It is just a shakedown and if I am in the wrong then write me a ticket and I will go to the office near Worarot market and pay it. If they say they are going to keep my IDL that is fine with me. It only costs $15 to get a new one and I just might say to hell with it and let them keep it then get a new one when I go back to the US.

I did watch a checkpoint near the Raumchok intersection (near the new Tesco Lotus complex) a week or so ago and saw many people pulled over- both Thai and farang. I watched closely and didn't see anyone making a cash payment. Everyone who must have been in violation got a paper ticket. Also, they were pulling over people who were wearing helmets so it must have been a check of papers to ensure motorists were legal.

On almost any given day you can be assured there will be a checkpoint at Narawat ridge and at least one somewhere on the outer moat ring road. Like previous posters have noted, I am seeing more of them at areas that are further out from the old city than ever before.

Yes it would seem with the new government they are getting more concerned with the law. There will always be the cop on the take but more and more they are disappearing and starting to enforce the law which goes against the grain of many. It was one of the reasons they left their country to come here. More than likely a nanny country. But traffic laws are serious. In addition to enforcing them people should have to show a whole heck of a lot better driving skills to get their license. the paper work is common in all countries. Nanny or not. In many not obeyed have an accident with out insurance and pay your way out or just walk away a big loser as well as the person you hit.