lab test

h90

I am going to Europe and thought of a full blood test.

First Question: Is it stupid to do it in Europe? I thought for it because I can speak with the doc what I want in my language and he does it, no matter if it makes sense to him or not.

Second Question: What do I want to have checked if I want to have it as complete as possible? I am 43, male and never had any health check. Fell healthy but a bit tired (which might be normal). My guess: all the standard values, Testosterone, Antibodies for Hepatitis A and B (is there a test for C?), Cholesterol, split in fractions (what can be tested there?). What else to be as complete as possible. I made once a FSME test and I am off the scale, most probably immune for the rest of my life but anyway I think there are none in Thailand.

Hi, I had a pre employment medical at bumrungrad in Bangkok a few weeks back, included in the medical was a list of various blood tests I think over 20 different tests, all docs and nurses conducting various stages of the tests spoke excellent English, listed in my results that seems cholesterol related are, total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, in total they checked my blood for 27 different test results, sorry I'm not too up to speed with medical terminology so unsure if this cholesterol info is of any help or not,
normally I'm in for 3 or 4 hours every couple of years for my offshore medical updates, but this one was far and away the most comprehensive medical I've ever had, spent nearly 8 hours at the hospital through the various stages of the medical checks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's a good option certainly for the lab tests, and I'd imagine much cheaper than bummie, that last medical cost me nearly 23k,, although included X-rays, audiology and a load of other stuff that I've no idea what they were up to

quote name="robblok" I always do it here, its so cheap here and all the small labs send it to a big lab in bkk

You can mark what you want and they will write what is the normal range. below a lab test price ect.

[

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I always do it here, its so cheap here and all the small labs send it to a big lab in bkk

You can mark what you want and they will write what is the normal range. below a lab test price ect.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62526340/00%20lab%20prices.pdf

That is a nice one.....Where do you get the blood taken? Or do you do it yourself?

I always do it here, its so cheap here and all the small labs send it to a big lab in bkk

That is a nice one.....Where do you get the blood taken? Or do you do it yourself?

Just at all the small clinics they take your blood you mark what you want and a day or a few days later you get back a printed list with values and what is the normal range from this lab.

Big hospitals have such a markup its crazy. 

I have had my thyroid / estrogen / testosterone / H1bac (diabetic marker) / prostate cancer (marker) and a few others checked. I have a history of checks here in a folder so i can compare with previous test.

The user Tropo put me onto this way back its good for people who are active in fitness and such to know such markers they can show progress.

Just at all the small clinics they take your blood you mark what you want and a day or a few days later you get back a printed list with values and what is the normal range from this lab.

Big hospitals have such a markup its crazy. 

I have had my thyroid / estrogen / testosterone / H1bac (diabetic marker) / prostate cancer (marker) and a few others checked. I have a history of checks here in a folder so i can compare with previous test.

The user Tropo put me onto this way back its good for people who are active in fitness and such to know such markers they can show progress.

Can you recommend any small clinic? I never have been to any.....I am usually healthy as a horse and allergic to physicians....

If you are in Bangkok and Sukhumvit Soi 11 is accessible, go to the "Soi 11 Clinic"; they use BRIA labs which is one of the very reliable labs in BKK.  They have a list of tests you can choose from but also have a doctor in attendance who can advise.  Prices seem to be reasonable and results out in a day or so depending on the test..

• Like 1

If you are in Bangkok and Sukhumvit Soi 11 is accessible, go to the "Soi 11 Clinic"; they use BRIA labs which is one of the very reliable labs in BKK.  They have a list of tests you can choose from but also have a doctor in attendance who can advise.  Prices seem to be reasonable and results out in a day or so depending on the test..

Great! Thanks a lot.....

What to tell there? "I want a blood test." (I am not a native English speaker).

And going there with empty stomach, or else the triglycerides and maybe some other values are worthless, right?

Time of the day important? I recall it was always in the morning in Austria, but I guess because of the empty stomach.

This is a very small clinic and the staff at the front desk speaks reasonable English as they do see some tourists and so does the doc but it would help a lot if you knew what you want and could interpret the results; not sure how well the doc could assist with this; perhaps talk to him first otherwise they will just give you your results as they don't seem to be keeping medical records.  

An 8h fast is usually required for cholesterol and glucose tests and it may be easier to achieve in the morning after an overnight fast.

This is a very small clinic and the staff at the front desk speaks reasonable English as they do see some tourists and so does the doc but it would help a lot if you knew what you want and could interpret the results; not sure how well the doc could assist with this; perhaps talk to him first otherwise they will just give you your results as they don't seem to be keeping medical records.  

An 8h fast is usually required for cholesterol and glucose tests and it may be easier to achieve in the morning after an overnight fast.

Thanks for all the information! I know what I want. I can interpret the results if they are in the "should be" area. If they are outside it gets anyway more complicated......I expect that everything is OK.....Just thought a 43 is a good time a check......

Hi,

To be honest near where you and I live almost all the small clinics have those blood tests. They send the tests to a bigger lab in BKK. Problem for you is selecting what you want as normally those labs don't have health packages. 

But if you know what you want cholesterol / testosterone / H1bac ect / blood lipids they can do it.

At first I was always looking for clinics but then i realized after talking some of the nurses in those clinics that they all send the test to that big lab that you saw my price list from. 

• 4 weeks later...

With some luck I'll go to the clinic tomorrow.

Would would be good to know? My idea is to take as many as possible and only look at things if they are out of "normal"

From the list Robblock uploaded, down incl. CK-MB

Than my question:

24 Hrs. Urine Protein

Microalbumin in Urine

aren't blood tests so I'll drop these, right?

Tumor:

No one ever in my extended family had a tumor so I'll drop that.

Hematology:

just everything

I can drop:

Urinalysis,

Stool

Toxicology

lead

(what else might be interesting beside the drugs which I don't use so I don't need to test them)

What makes sense from the Immunology?

Hormons

Are Progesterone and Prolactine

interesting for me? (male and currently not pregnant biggrin.png )

FSH

LH

(what is that?)

I would take the others.

Any other comment? Would be bad if I find afterwards that I forgot something.

This approach may turn out to be very expensive and entirely non-productive.

Hormonal tests such as FSH, LH are extremely expensive and should be reserved for specific indications only...

My recommendation would be to have a basic physical exam, have a chat to the doctor and, with any luck, he would be able to come up with a series of screening tests which would then highlight or alert to areas that may need to be investigated further narrowing it down to only the essential tests.

This approach may turn out to be very expensive and entirely non-productive.

Hormonal tests such as FSH, LH are extremely expensive and should be reserved for specific indications only...

My recommendation would be to have a basic physical exam, have a chat to the doctor and, with any luck, he would be able to come up with a series of screening tests which would then highlight or alert to areas that may need to be investigated further narrowing it down to only the essential tests.

hmmm...OK, you have a good point. I just want to collect as much knowledge as possible. Specially if the communication with the doc won't work well.

Estradiol

Testosterone

T3, T4

should be enough to have an idea, I think?

Stool and Urine tests are cheap and simple enough, advisable to test them after being in Asia for any period of time, worms/parasites, occult blood and excess protein are some of the possible finds. If I was in your situation I would do the following, cost about THB 2,500 where I live:

Lipids Profile, Liver Profile, Renal Profile, PSA, Urine, Stool.

Edited by chiang mai

Stool and Urine tests are cheap and simple enough, advisable to test them after being in Asia for any period of time, worms/parasites, occult blood and excess protein are some of the possible finds. If I was in your situation I would do the following, cost about THB 2,500 where I live:

Lipids Profile, Liver Profile, Renal Profile, PSA, Urine, Stool.

I wanted to avoid the dirty part xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png But maybe you are right.....

Just got the results.....

Mostly OK, BUT

Eosinophil 5 %

Had before some big herpes and been allergic...So I guess that caused it....And I don't need to be serious about that.

Creatinine 0.69 mg/dL (a bit low): Would supplement of Creatine improve that?

Lipid profil

Cholesterol 283 mg/dL

Triglyceride: 104 mg/dL

HDL-Cholesterol 55 mg/dL

LDL-Cholesterol 213 mg/dL

Just were on no carb diet, eat normal and drank a lot alcohol when I visit my parents. Tried to switch back to no carbs, on/off/not eating at all. So my idea is not to panic to live "normal" for 2 weeks and than check these again. The test is just a snapshot and I may just hit the wrong time.

Globulin: 3.4....a bit high, maybe because of a lot drinking the last weeks?

Estradiol; E2 27 pg/mL

Testotsterone 7.655 mg/mL

Does that sound good for male 43 year old?

Everything else is nicely within the limits.....

Any comments on that?

Mostly OK, BUT

Eosinophil 5 %

Had before some big herpes and been allergic...So I guess that caused it....And I don't need to be serious about that.

Lipid profil

Cholesterol 283 mg/dL

HDL-Cholesterol 55 mg/dL

Just were on no carb diet, eat normal and drank a lot alcohol when I visit my parents. Tried to switch back to no carbs, on/off/not eating at all. So my idea is not to panic to live "normal" for 2 weeks and than check these again. The test is just a snapshot and I may just hit the wrong time.

Estradiol; E2 27 pg/mL

Any comments on that?

Am pleased that you had the tests, the results are not (that) bad but you've got some (lots of) work to do:

Lipid profil

Cholesterol 283 mg/dL - Higher than you need

Triglyceride: 104 mg/dL - Not bad, acceptable

HDL-Cholesterol 55 mg/dL - Low

LDL-Cholesterol 213 mg/dL - Dangerously high, take heed.

What were your ALT and AST numbers on your lipids profile? Globulin is only a part of the picture.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol-levels/art-20048245

Edited by chiang mai

Normally the lab has a normal range printed after their test so you know if you fall into the normal part.

yes, sorry

Eosinophil 5 % (1-3)

Creatine 0.69 (0.72-1.25)

Cholesterol 283 mg/dL (<200)

Triglyceride: 104 mg/dL (<150)

HDL-Cholesterol 55 mg/dL (>60)

LDL-Cholesterol 213 mg/dL (<100) (remark from the Lab: "Repeated")

Globulin: 3.4....(2.1-3.3)

Estradiol; E2 27 pg/mL (11-44)

Testotsterone 7.655 mg/mL (1.560-8.770)

(but no one asked me for my sex and age....OK the doc may have recognized that I am male, but not my age, so I don't know if these values are right for me...Testosterone looks good but Estradiol?)

Mostly OK, BUT

Eosinophil 5 %

Lipid profil

Cholesterol 283 mg/dL

HDL-Cholesterol 55 mg/dL

Estradiol; E2 27 pg/mL

Any comments on that?

Am pleased that you had the tests, the results are not bad but you've got some work to do:

Lipid profil

Cholesterol 283 mg/dL - Higher than you need

Triglyceride: 104 mg/dL - Not bad, acceptable

HDL-Cholesterol 55 mg/dL - OK

LDL-Cholesterol 213 mg/dL - Dangerously high, take heed.

What were your ALT and AST numbers on your lipids profile? Globulin is only a part of the picture.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol-levels/art-20048245

Albumine: 4.3 g/dL (Reference 3.5-5.0)

AST (SGOT): 30 U/L (Referecence range 5-34)

ALT (SGPT): 52 (0-55)

I hope that the LDL is caused by my rather extreme diet changes. And will recheck in 2 weeks.

Immediately I will add more vegetables to my diet. That won't make a huge difference but it can be done immediately without worry.

I hope that the LDL is caused by my rather extreme diet changes. And will recheck in 2 weeks.

Immediately I will add more vegetables to my diet. That won't make a huge difference but it can be done immediately without worry.

You can hope all you want but that LDL number is super not good, so do whatever you are advised to do to make it lower than the HDL number and take it very seriously, because we love you!

Diet is the key.

You can hope all you want but that LDL number is super not good, so do whatever you are advised to do to make it lower than the HDL number and take it very seriously, because we love you!

Diet is the key.

yes I take it seriously......---> going to the supermarket just now and buy veggies.....

Normally the lab has a normal range printed after their test so you know if you fall into the normal part.

yes, sorry

Eosinophil 5 % (1-3)

(but no one asked me for my sex and age....OK the doc may have recognized that I am male, but not my age, so I don't know if these values are right for me...Testosterone looks good but Estradiol?)

Your test is quite nice and high you should not worry about that and Estradiol is good too

yes, sorry

Eosinophil 5 % (1-3)

Your test is quite nice and high you should not worry about that and Estradiol is good too

yes, sorry

Eosinophil 5 % (1-3)

only need to get the cholesterol down somehow.

Oh dear, the man is more worried about his sex drive than his cardiovascular system, OK, cool!

Well I made the blood test to check if my hormones are OK and if my liver is OK, as I always drank a lot.

I made the cholesterol without reason, was confident that it is OK. So the results are very surprising for me.

Now I am a bit shocked......

Eosinophil count is related to allergy so nothing concerning here.

The Atkins kind of diet (no carb, only protein and fat) which you seem to have been on can seriously affect Cholesterol so do get back to a balanced diet, cut out deep fried etc.

Doing the test again in 2 weeks may not show a significant change in cholesterol levels; 6 weeks on a good diet will probably be a better indication of where you are.

The test to do if you want to measure the effect of alcohol on the liver is GGT (Gamma-glutamyl transferase).

Creatinine is a kidney function test and is not affected by dietary creatinine. So low is good.