Washington 'pot shops' hit by shortage on first day of sales

webfact

Washington 'pot shops' hit by shortage on first day of sales

WASHINGTON: -- Legal marijuana sales in the western US state of Washington have begun amid a shortage of the drug in the state.

State officials told licensed pot shops they could open at 8:00 local time but only a few are expected to have marijuana to sell on Tuesday.

The shortage comes as fewer than 100 people of more than 2,600 who applied for a growing licence were approved.

Washington and Colorado voters legalised the possession and sale of the drug in November 2012.

Colorado's marijuana stores opened for business on 1 January.

An Associated Press survey of 25 licensed Washington cannabis dealers found only six were expected to open on Tuesday, including one in the largest city of Seattle.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28214706

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-09

Just wonder how long it will take for these other states to get with it. I'd love to see the whole of the USA legalize pot. It would be a cool thing to see. Just makes no sense that you can smoke away in one state, cross the line, and be arrested in another state.

• Like 2

Unfortunately (OK inserting my opinion) the prices in the shops are upwards of 50 USD for 2 grams of grass. Street prices in Seattle would be under 10 USD per gram, per online reports. For some professionals it is probably worth the 150% mark-up to do it completely legally, but most users will stick with the street-bought grass, so the criminal or black market element is not totally eliminated. Full nationwide implementation of this in the US would go a long way towards crushing the international crime rings plaguing the country.

I guess the real irony here is that the criminalization of cannabis in Thailand was part of the world wide American war on drugs; particularly stemming from use of the drug by GIs during the Vietnam war and mass importation of 'Thai sticks' to the US, and worldwide, from the 60s to the 80s.

I quote from an online atrticle easily found:-

"Cannabis use in Thailand was widespread and usually tolerated in a social setting. Prior to the beginning of U.S.-led clampdowns, cannabis was a standard item on the shelves of many Thai kitchens, and was widely available from local markets."

Also:- "The DEA runs a number of programs within Thailand. One notable program is the operation ‘Hot Spot’ program in Pattaya (http://www.dea-rewards.com/len/index.php). The Hot Spot program provides monetary rewards for informant tips. The DEA has carried out a number of highly publicized operations within Thailand including Operation Tiger Trap".

Now, in a changing world, we will see Thailand continue to jail dope smokers while large numbers of Americans enjoy the pleasure of leagally getting high at home.

You couldn't make it up!

• Like 1

supply an demand
thank god the dispensaries i visit in Marin Ca never run out!! plus1lol.gif

I give the other states 2 years till they all go legal, they just cant afford not to once the gates have been opened!!!

street weed is nowhere near as potent as legalized weed

Edited by phuketrichard

If this legalization of pot sweeps across the whole country, then sooner or later the working population of the USA will become about equally productive as Thai workers. The USA is already going down in flames, why make it even worse ?

Yep, sad we needed a study for something so patently obvious. I indulged daily in my younger college days and my grades suxed. I quit and made 3.5s or better and got into law school. Thank God I quit or I likely be some plant worker somewhere, making crap wages, trying to get a script for my legal pot.

---------

CHICAGO --- Young adults who used marijuana only recreationally showed significant abnormalities in two key brain regions that are important in emotion and motivation, scientists report. The study was a collaboration between Northwestern Medicine® and Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School. - See more at: http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2014/04/casual-marijuana-use-linked-to-brain-abnormalities-in-students.html#sthash.qB9gpAwH.dpuf

If this legalization of pot sweeps across the whole country, then sooner or later the working population of the USA will become about equally productive as Thai workers. The USA is already going down in flames, why make it even worse ?

I never had any problem buying pot after I turned 13 and it did not cost $25 a gram. I can't see that legalization will do much other than prevent people from getting paranoid about getting busted.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I never had any problem buying pot after I turned 13 and it did not cost $25 a gram. I can't see that legalization will do much other than prevent getting paranoid about getting busted.

Yeah, it costs $ 40 an ounce when I started . . ., but that was in 1980. Thing have gotten a bit more expensive since then.

$20 per ounce for me - about 1971. Can't stand the stuff now though. I don't need any help getting the munchies and being lazy .

joint.gif

I tried it again a few years back and was not impressed. If your going to drugs, there are so many better feel good, while still function options.

• Like 1

Just wonder how long it will take for these other states to get with it. I'd love to see the whole of the USA legalize pot. It would be a cool thing to see. Just makes no sense that you can smoke away in one state, cross the line, and be arrested in another state.

Presently in Washington STATE! yes it is happening, thou I do not smoke but listening to CBC in my Camperized Van while I camp at Point Roberts Washington hear that the Federal Government and State Government view procession and use in very different ways one Criminal that being the Federal Government.

Yes a Summer visit in American is a nice change..thou where I camp have 95% Canadians camping here long term, have not smelled pot yet, thou most of the Canadian drink wine..750ml for $4.99 plus 7% tax...

Why the state government WANTS to legalize POT now apply the pot tax

(example below)

The $4.99 wine ..now add the Pot Tax the wine now is $8.75

The CBC news reporter talked to the owner of one of the Pot shops..this is what was said...the licensed Growing Operation has to pay 25% taxes to government, the middle man whom cleans and ships to store is charged same 25% and final retail shop add 25%... a $0.75 tax generator for $1. sale

The CBC reporter discussed with Owner of the retail store he was planning to start a growing operation in retail shop ...to cut out the middle man... retailers will always find loop holes.

Who will make the most money? the government..yes...Lawyers whom are representing (Federal laws disputes of Pot procession) pay taxes...Court system costs...so you see the Government always win win situation in Legalizing pot at the State level..

They are so broke that it won't take long.

Next is California,very soon a new heaven on earth <3

Edited by thaicookingchef