Any hassles driving into Laos?

KawDang

Thought it would be nice to drive with my Isaan gf from Udon Thani into Laos for a long weekend.

Any complications my simple plan needs to consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If the car is not prepared (documents, sticker): yes there will be complications and hard to get ready for the weekend.

I think this is still valid:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/544563-driving-a-thai-registered-car-in-laos/#entry5177992

South East Asia is far from the free traffic in Europe.

Its a pitty, I would love to drive to the South China Sea (Laos/Cambodia, Vietnam).

But Vietnam is much worse than Laos (if not impossible).

I assume that you know what is necessary depending on your visa / extension status?

(re-entry permit?)

Edited by KhunBENQ

You will need the car 'passport' which can be obtained at the DLT, you will get the 'passport' immediately but will have to wait for the romanised plates. I have been into Savannakhet without the romanised plates and no one seemed concerned, but you should use them, probably more so if you are travelling away from the border town.

When you reach the border the first time the process takes a while as they enter your details into the computer, but at Mukdaharn they were very friendly and helped us through the process. I also know that there is an office in the secure parking compound that will complete all the paperwork for you and make all the copies if this is your preference.

On the Laos side things are a but harder (in my experience), help is given grudgingly with a surly look, so make sure you visit all the correct windows to get your stamps etc.. don't forget the mandatory insurance.

totster :)

• Like 1

Thanks all - knew it wouldn't be as straightforward as the Warsaw to Amsterdam run

Will stick to a Kalasin to Chiang Rai run for the August long weekend

Thanks all - knew it wouldn't be as straightforward as the Warsaw to Amsterdam run

Will stick to a Kalasin to Chiang Rai run for the August long weekend

If the car is in your name you have plenty of time between now and August to get the paper work sorted out. Don't let negative comments put you off about diving into Laos its done al the time.

• Like 2

The original post was "for a long weekend".

I misunderstood/assumed "this long weekend" that we have now which would have been impossible to match.

August is surely doable.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Follow the information of others doing it. It's actually pretty simple to cross; especially with someone bilingual riding with you and driving really isn't that different from rural Thai roads. We do it from Ubon once in awhile. Would do it more often if the visa fee was cheaper.

Ha! Thanks for that - sounds like it will be worth the effort. I'll get the other half to make enquiries about the car papers

Vientiane is really worth a visit.

A wonderful contrast to Thai provincial towns.

Ancient buildings, French inspirated architecture, avenues with century old trees.

Relaxed traffic.

I liked it.

(also liked a fresh Lao beer biggrin.png )

• 2 weeks later...

Watch out for the drink drivers and I avoid driving at night unless I really have to outside the capital. So many vehicles don't have lights and buffalos, cows, goats, dogs etc like to wander onto the roads.