Wongwian Yai -Is there anything there

seank

Hi All,

I saw this nice place near to Wongwian Yai BTS but I didnt see much else there except the compulsory 7/11!

Does anyone know this area, is there at least 1 place near the BTS to have an after work drink?

-Sean

It's a suburb of Thonburi with much less to do than Bangkok and all of the traffic. You can see the Taksin Monument in the roundabout but that's about it. Most people stay there because its a bit cheaper than Bangkok. I went there maybe 50 times and rarely saw a westerner, its a pretty drab place. Most bars would be local, I don't remember seeing anything else.

• Like 1

It's a suburb of Thonburi with much less to do than Bangkok and all of the traffic. You can see the Taksin Monument in the roundabout but that's about it. Most people stay there because its a bit cheaper than Bangkok. I went there maybe 50 times and rarely saw a westerner, its a pretty drab place. Most bars would be local, I don't remember seeing anything else.

Thanks for the insight, that's real helpful in making a decision to move there.

Hi yeah no probs. There might be a few Thonburi fanatics out there but I think the general consensus is that the only thing going for it is that its near Bangkok. It's better connected now but the traffic is much worse than 15 years ago because it has developed much more. I've never liked it, the only reason people stay there is because its a bit cheaper than Bangkok to rent. Entering Bangkok via Sathorn is never pleasant also.

It depends what you are looking for - nightlife, not much but if you work in Silom or Sathorn pretty easy commute via bts. Some Malls around like Mall Thapra or Bangkae, close by is Sena Fest with a few restaurants and a decent Villa Market. It's a fast growing area in terms of condos as the sky train has opened things up.

3 fishing tackle shops around a 10 minute walk from the BTS. Otherwise, I'd have no reason whatsoever to cross the river past Saphan Thaksin station.

(Unless you're in the shoe or handbag business, because there's tons of wholesale shops for everything you'd need to make shoes and handbags)

Still not interested??? I don't blame you...

3 fishing tackle shops around a 10 minute walk from the BTS. Otherwise, I'd have no reason whatsoever to cross the river past Saphan Thaksin station.

(Unless you're in the shoe or handbag business, because there's tons of wholesale shops for everything you'd need to make shoes and handbags)

haha ever the comedian. The area has everything the Sukhumvit Ghetto has - sans the farangs, UK pubs, bar girls and touts. Not for everyone for sure!

You nearly had me tempted at the handbag shops!!

Nite-life isn't a major factor but I'd rather have it around and not use it than not have it around.

So I'm going to be the cliche expat renting in sukhumvit.