Restoration of Phuket's Nai Thon Beach: 7 down, 11 to go

webfact

Restoration of Phuket's Nai Thon Beach: 7 down, 11 to go
Suthicha Sirirat

1404907948_1-org.jpg
A Parks official takes a sledgehammer to an illegal restaurant.

PHUKET: -- A 150-strong force of Department of National Park officials have resumed the restoration of Nai Thon Beach in Phuket’s north, having razed seven encroaching structures there this morning (July 9), while issuing a demolition order for 10 more structures.

The inspection and demolition, led by DNP’s National Parks Director Samak Donnapee and Sirinat National Park chief Kitipat Tharapiban, was a follow-up on a previous inspection conducted back in May.

That inspection concluded with an order from the outgoing park chief for operators of eight encroaching, permanent structures on Nai Thon Beach to be removed within 90 days or face demolition at the will of officials.

However, officials this morning found that seven of the structures still remained, albeit already vacated and in various stages of deconstruction.

While demolishing the structures, officials became aware of 11 more encroaching structures along the 900-metre stretch of beach, some appearing to be vacated, but others seeming to be only temporarily abandoned.

Chief Kittipat said that charges will be pressed against encroaches and that orders to demolish the structures will be issued in accordance with the National Park Act (BE 2504), Section 22, which will give offenders a maximum of 90 days to comply.

“The initial notice will give the encroachers 30 days, and if they file an appeal with the National Park Department, they will be given an additional 30 days, after which the department [after upholding the order] will issue another 30 days to demolish the structures.

“After that point, if they [the offenders] still don’t demolish the structures, we will do it in accordance with Section 22, in which they will be liable for the expenses, which will depend on how many people we need and the going [labor] market rate,” he explained.

The chief added that the NPD will continue to work closely with Tachatchai Police, Department of Special Investigations and the Anti Money-Laundering Office on all national park encroachment cases.

“After speaking with locals, it has come to our attention that some [of the encroachers] have ‘bought’ or leased [long-term]their operation at the rate of B7 million per plot, and in the case of sub-lease deals, at a rate of between B300,000 to B400,000 per year.”

“We believe that all cases have the characteristics of the operators being Nai Toon (entrepreneurs), not Kon Joan (poor people), as claimed previously,”

When all is said and done, Mr Kitttipat estimated that it will take about six months to completely restore the beach to its original, natural condition.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/restoration-of-phuket%E2%80%99s-nai-thon-beach-7-down-11-to-go-47290.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-10

• Like 2

>>“After speaking with locals, it has come to our attention that some [of the encroachers] have ‘bought’ or leased [long-term]their operation at the rate of B7 million per plot, and in the case of sub-lease deals, at a rate of between B300,000 to B400,000 per year.”

Who "sold" those plots to the "buyers"? 7 million is good money for selling something that isn't even yours.

• Like 2

and yet Niki Beach club still stands...

As has been stated many times, it's on legally owned land, otherwise, it would have been torn down.

1. It's built too high. 2. It's within 80 meters of the sea and as I understand land within 80 meters belongs to the King/Navy. 3. It's built on a national park and is a permanent structure

• Like 1

As has been stated many times, it's on legally owned land, otherwise, it would have been torn down.

1. It's built too high. 2. It's within 80 meters of the sea and as I understand land within 80 meters belongs to the King/Navy. 3. It's built on a national park and is a permanent structure

The distance to the ocean is measured differently by different people, high tide Vs low tide! They get some leeway here, so I am very reliably informed

The distance to the ocean is measured differently by different people, high tide Vs low tide! They get some leeway here, so I am very reliably informed

Normally high tide, but TIT

Off the op topic, but to clear up the setback (mis)information. Nothing between mean high tide line and 20 metres can be built. Between 20 and 50 metres, height can't be more than 6 metres. Between 50 and 250 metres, nothing can be over 12 metres.

The only leeway allowed is where the (sometimes paid off) local government guy deems the medium high tide line is on a chart. As in the case of Eva Beach, it's a completely fabricated "mean high tide" line drawn on a piece of paper for a considerable sum of money ( in the case of Eva Beach, I've heard it's around XX,000,000 )

Edited by steelepulse
  • Like 2

>>“After speaking with locals, it has come to our attention that some [of the encroachers] have ‘bought’ or leased [long-term]their operation at the rate of B7 million per plot, and in the case of sub-lease deals, at a rate of between B300,000 to B400,000 per year.”

Who "sold" those plots to the "buyers"? 7 million is good money for selling something that isn't even yours.

"7 million is good money for selling something that isn't even yours" - same like a foreigner paying 7 million for land he'll never own. biggrin.png

One positive result (well, positive for some!), from these business closures is the availability of decent hotel/restaurant equipment at rock-bottom prices.

A Thai friend just bought an almost new, double-door drinks fridge, plus 4 large solid wood tables and 16 chairs for less than 20,000 baht.

I must keep an eye on this 'fire-sale'.

• Like 1

Poor sod swinging the sledgehammer. Have they not heard of a backhoe?

They could take the lot down in an hours.

Why are'nt they employing labourers to do this and charging it to the restaurant owners, instead of letting them just walk away with their fat bank accounts. w00t.gif

One positive result (well, positive for some!), from these business closures is the availability of decent hotel/restaurant equipment at rock-bottom prices.

A Thai friend just bought an almost new, double-door drinks fridge, plus 4 large solid wood tables and 16 chairs for less than 20,000 baht.

I must keep an eye on this 'fire-sale'.

Lets hope he paid the real owner and not the Somchai who was washing the dirty dishes . cheesy.gif

• 1 month later...

Well Eva Beach is but one of many ongoing current developments being built in a confirmed Zone 1 on the island of Phuket. Zone 1, as SteelPulse said, is 20 meters from high tide plus another 50 meters beyond that. The law says that no ground in that first 20 meters shall be disturbed,Eva Beach built a retaining rock wall at the high tide water mark! Novotel, the new one in Kamala, has bungalow rooms less than 5 meters from high tide and another resort being built about 50 meters south of Surin beach is building on the rocks! After the first 20 meters of no mans land, the next 50 meters can not have a structure over 6 meters AND they can not cover more than 30% of the Zone, which means you can footprint only 30% of that next 50 meters! Eva Beach has concrete, villas and sidewalks over 100% of the area from waters edge to the road! The property on Surin Beach is also 100% of the lot covered in concrete. Eva Beach has Villas on the waters edge that are more than 6 meters high and the place in Surin looks to be a multi story complex. If there are gonna be beach clearing they need to go all the way around the island, equally and fairly... The Zone 1 current law from my understanding was adopted in 2000 so some structures may be exempt but Eva Beach and the others are all working on current construction today...

post-219015-0-95395900-1409025322_thumb.

post-219015-0-48562400-1409025329_thumb.

post-219015-0-60664500-1409025339_thumb.

post-219015-0-26263700-1409025350_thumb.

post-219015-0-09213000-1409025758_thumb.

post-219015-0-10738200-1409025759_thumb.

post-219015-0-69789900-1409025760_thumb.

Edited by Bond Girl

Well Eva Beach is but one of many ongoing current developments being built in a confirmed Zone 1 on the island of Phuket. Zone 1, as SteelPulse said, is 20 meters from high tide plus another 50 meters beyond that. The law says that no ground in that first 20 meters shall be disturbed,Eva Beach built a retaining rock wall at the high tide water mark! Novotel, the new one in Kamala, has bungalow rooms less than 5 meters from high tide and another resort being built about 50 meters south of Surin beach is building on the rocks! After the first 20 meters of no mans land, the next 50 meters can not have a structure over 6 meters AND they can not cover more than 30% of the Zone, which means you can footprint only 30% of that next 50 meters! Eva Beach has concrete, villas and sidewalks over 100% of the area from waters edge to the road! The property on Surin Beach is also 100% of the lot covered in concrete. Eva Beach has Villas on the waters edge that are more than 6 meters high and the place in Surin looks to be a multi story complex. If there are gonna be beach clearing they need to go all the way around the island, equally and fairly... The Zone 1 current law from my understanding was adopted in 2000 so some structures may be exempt but Eva Beach and the others are all working on current construction today...

Guaranteed there was artistic freedom taken in the drawings and plans of where the median high tide line in. Well that and a thick envelope got things passed. I've heard a huge number for the beach condos mentioned and I think it was at andrew drummonds site where they showed the mockery made out of the median high tide line.

• Like 1

Guaranteed there was artistic freedom taken in the drawings and plans of where the median high tide line in. Well that and a thick envelope got things passed. I've heard a huge number for the beach condos mentioned and I think it was at andrew drummonds site where they showed the mockery made out of the median high tide line.

Artistic Freedom is being very generous methinks when referring to Eva Beach! "median" high tide is typically used to determine the "sea level" at which no structure on Phuket may be built 80 meters above. Zone 1 uses the words high tide, that difference is a full meter of water vs a mud flat that extends for 100 meters!

^I am willing to bet this is relevant to how Nikki Beach Club on Layan. It's about a three story structure on the beach.

Yes when will the local officials be held accountable for the beach encroachment ? Never is my bet .

^I am willing to bet this is relevant to how Nikki Beach Club on Layan. It's about a three story structure on the beach.

Yes when will the local officials be held accountable for the beach encroachment ? Never is my bet .

Seems you want everything to happen NOW, and if it doesn't your conclusion is nothing will happen.

Heights of buildings is a massive problem that hasn't been broached yet.

Ever wondered why there is only one condominium tower block in Karon? Because it's illegal, but is/was owned by an Army General.

Patong Tower was also illegal when it was built in the late eighties, early nineties.

These are much more serious infringements than a three storey building that should only have a single storey.

Now chuck in all the buildings that have been built on land higher than the 80 metre height contour and that is another can-of-worms.

Your continual harping on about Nikki beach club is annoying and frankly, not very serious compared to other problems.

For some reason, you remind me of a Chihuahua.