Beware, 48-hour alcohol-buying ban in Thailand starts tonight

webfact

So no booze available at Tesco, Big C, the Mall Grocery, 7/11 store and public bars. Available at all hotels and thousands upon thousands of mom and pop shops and illegal bars. No one who wants alcohol will be without.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am not a Buddhist. Does this rule affect me too?

Yup tag all the main holidays in your calendar because if you want a drink its a good idea to go stock up before they start or get an invite to a party that has.

Don't fret too much. In every neighborhood there is at least one mom and pop shop that will sell it to you day or night holiday or not. 7-11 won't. There's a good one on my soi that even stocks beer lao dark! YUM

Secret loophole; buy a bottle at the bar beforehand so when you come later they can say that they didn't "sell" any alcohol. Imbibing itself isn't illegal right?

The flaw in your plan is that most (if not all in tourist areas) will be shut so you won't be able to pitch up and drink your pre-bought plonk! Restaurants normally still sell drink though

Yes, It's pathetic. It's religious discrimination.

No, It is NOT discrimination. It is called Obeying the Rules of the "Foreign" country you are in.

But if you need it you can still buy tonight for the two days. Or even buy in some local "mom n pop" shops on those days... The Ban is not for consuming alcohol but for buying....

Edited by Nepsydaz
  • Like 1

Secret loophole; buy a bottle at the bar beforehand so when you come later they can say that they didn't "sell" any alcohol. Imbibing itself isn't illegal right?

The flaw in your plan is that most (if not all in tourist areas) will be shut so you won't be able to pitch up and drink your pre-bought plonk! Restaurants normally still sell drink though

Drats!

I swear i'll pile in lots of soda and coke so they can make their nut for the night if they just stay open

Drats!

I swear i'll pile in lots of soda and coke so they can make their nut for the night if they just stay open

If they get caught open not only is it a stiff fine but also a 2month forced closure.

How much soda and coke are you going to drink to make it worth their while ?

Bloody typical! Wife's away for a couple of days, a chance for me to go out, and this happens. Any suggestions???

Take home some Thai take out, and pre buy the grogg?

(Don forget the 13th commandment...... ¨Thou shalt not get found out¨)

Why is it necessary to post a big "beware" sign? Is alcohol dependency so endemic amongst TV members that they cannot last 48 hours without a drink?

24 hours is ok. More than that i start to shake......................lol. I need my bargirls. I not here for the food, yadda yadda yadda.

Come to their country, respect their rules and holidays. Some places in the west close Christmas day, good friday etc, the same could be said in those places as well.

• Like 1

Why is it necessary to post a big "beware" sign? Is alcohol dependency so endemic amongst TV members that they cannot last 48 hours without a drink?

24 hours is ok. More than that i start to shake......................lol. I need my bargirls. I not here for the food, yadda yadda yadda.

Even in jest, that is SOOOOOOOO sad.

• Like 1

Buddhist holidays are an inconvenience for tourists , but on the other hand little or no effect and guaranteed more business for the "mom and pop" shops.

Surely not?

I thought one of the biggest attractions for tourists coming to Thailand was to traipse endlessly around

temples before popping off down to the beach for a swim in the clear aquamarine sea and then enjoying a delicious freshly caught Thai seafood lunch at one of those cheap family run beachside restaurants that ever so slightly dip their supports onto the pristine sand. Then it's back to the temples for some more Buddhist culture before dinner and an early night. thumbsup.gif

Pure,Class love it....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes it does.

IMPOSING their religion on others? Guatama is turning in his grave!

Come to their country, respect their rules and holidays. Some places in the west close Christmas day, good friday etc, the same could be said in those places as well.

If you think the Thais respect these rules, you're rather naive.

• Like 2

I am not sure it is correct to write 'Beware'.

Surely it should be 'be aware'?

Unless some rather feckless people are worried about not getting pissed as a fart ...

american english = beware
  • Like 1

Can i byob to a disco in pattaya?

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sure.

Wrong reply to me. I talked to a disco in pattaya and they are closing tomorrow but they said even if they were open they would not allow alcohol period....

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yup tag all the main holidays in your calendar because if you want a drink its a good idea to go stock up before they start or get an invite to a party that has.

"... its a good idea to go stock up before they start ..."

But ... but that would mean planning ahead. Will the tortuous burden of life in Thailand never end??

castlemaine-xxx-beer-ads-skeleton-reachi

I like a beer or two, but it amuses me a little that when the supply is switched off for 24-48 hours, proactive folk out there tend to grab enough to last a week. It happens in Aus before good Friday when the sale of booze is not allowed.

So I'm off to the bottlo.

I am not sure it is correct to write 'Beware'.

Surely it should be 'be aware'?

Unless some rather feckless people are worried about not getting pissed as a fart ...

american english = beware

coffee1.gif

• Like 1