Beware, 48-hour alcohol-buying ban in Thailand starts tonight

webfact

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Thai ban on alcohol for 48 hours opens the floodgates for corruption, bootleg liquor, illegal sales, trafficking in a prohibited substance. Should be a field day for the military to "purge" lots of offenders.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

To those of you who are posting in the 'respect Buddhism' vein: how was it that the needs of Buddhism were adequately served by NOT having alcohol bans until 5 or 6 years ago when that little creep Abhisit, introduced the Buddhist holiday booze ban in order to ingratiate himself with the Buddhist hierarchy.

That was him ? I thought the ban is older.

Yes.. I think you are being slightly unfair to Mr Eton & Oxford. I recall back in 1993, when I was new to the place, being ushered into TQ 2 on Pattaya Beach Rd via the back door, because it was a "Buddha day", and drinking beer out of a tea cup.

These things seem to go up and down depending on the degree of "brown nosing" currently in vogue. I've not known them close for the August royal holiday in Pattaya for many years, but this year things may well be different.

Even the bar owners say they don't know what the score is until they get a letter, are called to a meeting or nothing is said and they open and see if the police come.

Prior to Abhisits 'Prime Ministers Office Order' - effectively a law, The authorities requested bars not to serve alcohol and if you did, you were asked to do so discreetly. I listened to the advice and used to put a notice in my pub advising Buddhists that it was a holy day and that their religion suggested they refrain from imbibing alcoholic beverages, I then continued to serve to non-Buddhist and any Buddhist who chose to ignore the advice.

If the consumption of alcohol was banned I could understand, but to ban the purchase when most stock up beforehand seems to defeat the object.

Can somebody help me out here, and explain the logic ?

Why do most all places in the world restrict the times/alcohol is sold over the counter and when bars can operate?

Last year i was drinking in a Cheong Mon bar. They had a big sign which said NO BEER ! Coffee only. Then served spirits only in coffee mugs !

He did very well i believe.

Welcome to Thailand the land of all possibilities!

Buddhist holidays are an inconvenience for tourists , but on the other hand little or no effect and guaranteed more business for the "mom and pop" shops.

Yep the mum and pop stores will sell you all you want. No need to panic.

12.01 So it starts tomorrow not tonight.wink.png

Shouldn't that be 0001 midnite, about.

1201 is lunchtime, rite?

Some people cannot count to 24...! (I am NOT joking)

Thai people work on a 12 hour clock from midnight to 12 noon and then on two 6 hour clocks from noon until midnight. Midnight is Thiiang Khuen in Thai and 12.01 is the correct time in Thai system. I always use "Nalika" which is the standard 24hour system also used in Thailand which avoids confusion.

12.01 So it starts tomorrow not tonight.wink.png

Shouldn't that be 0001 midnite, about.

1201 is lunchtime, rite?

Some people cannot count to 24...! (I am NOT joking)

Thai people work on a 12 hour clock from midnight to 12 noon and then on two 6 hour clocks from noon until midnight. Midnight is Thiiang Khuen in Thai and 12.01 is the correct time in Thai system. I always use "Nalika" which is the standard 24hour system also used in Thailand which avoids confusion.

Also two 6 hour clocks from midnight to noon.

I thought that Alcohol free Bhudda days were "out of respect" not actually an actual law that alcohol should not be sold.
So, my question is this: is it a proper law or not? Does anyone know somebody that was actually charged or taken to court for this offence?

If the consumption of alcohol was banned I could understand, but to ban the purchase when most stock up beforehand seems to defeat the object.

If you look for logic you'll be disappointed, there's not much call for it here. Who needs logic when you've got authority? It probably encourages drinking more than anything, but the important thing is, on the surface it looks (to the Thai observer) as if something has been done to protect Thai values or some such notion. It also serves to re-enforce the moral "good" of power while at the same time reminding the peasants that they have bosses who must be obeyed. Or maybe I read too much into it?

I am not a Buddhist. Does this rule affect me too?

Yes, It's pathetic. It's religious discrimination.

No it's not, you can be a Christian or an atheist if you want. However Thailand is a Buddhist country and farang's should show respect

I think Buddhism is not state religion in the constitution.....While we could discuss the Farangs but why should be Thai Christs, Atheists, etc etc show respect and to who?

I thought that Alcohol free Bhudda days were "out of respect" not actually an actual law that alcohol should not be sold.

So, my question is this: is it a proper law or not? Does anyone know somebody that was actually charged or taken to court for this offence?

I recall at the last election, with all the problems the police checked soi nana and Pattaya for Farangs drinking in the bars

Thanks for the reminder, just called the local shop and got them to drop round 10 slabs of their finest ale.

I have been chuckling and smiling while thinking about this post from time to time since I first saw it yesterday. TEN SLABS w00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Hell fire spoonman that's one helluva thirst you got there.

Why do most all places in the world restrict the times/alcohol is sold over the counter and when bars can operate?

Well in Britain most of the licensing laws I grew up with were from the 1st World War.... they needed people making tanks, guns, aircraft, etc.

They've gradually relaxed nowadays to where it is essentially supply and demand.

Then you have Angeles City with 24 hour gogos.

No guessing as to which one I think is the more progressive.

biggrin.png

Buddhist holidays are an inconvenience for tourists , but on the other hand little or no effect and guaranteed more business for the "mom and pop" shops.

you dont like the Buddhist holidays, then dont come to Thailand.

And if you are Thai and not Buddhist?