Is there a better tyre to use to minimise punctures on a Novo?

I have a 135 nouvo, wanna go on a weekend cruise 100 miles or so, is there better tyres to use to minimize the change of punctures, Im using Camel on the back and so far iv had 2 punctures just local usage, dont wanna be out in the middle of nowhere and get a flat.

Best to use innertubes on magged wheels or no innertube

If you move to tubeless setup and good quality tires like michelin, sure your punctures will get less and also it will be safer.
Plus if you have tubeless setup, and if you get a normal puncture, you will have enough air to reach the nearest tire repair shop.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 2

Michelin. : http://motorcycle.michelin.asia/twproduct/findProduct/getProductList/32/38

Not sure what size your tyres are but the M45 are heavy duty.. I have the M62 on wife's Wave much better than the IRC originals.

These are your Tyre sizes : Tyre ( Tubeless )
- Front 70/90- 16 36P
- Rear 80/90- 16 48P

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by casualbiker

Irc is a Thai Tyre brand. Not sure about tubeless check the Michelin website a tubeless Tyre is TL tubed is TT. Cost about 600-700b each. A tubeless Tyre can be repaired with a plug as a temporary repair but it's best to replace if you can.

Hope it helped.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I put 13000km on my NE135 and never had a flat riding around BKK.

I think flats might be more bad luck than tire brand.

I hope you are aware to go tubeless you need the (5 spoke) alloy wheels like you see on sportbikes.

Laced spoke (bicycle style) wheels always need an innertube on these types of scooters.

Actually IRC is a Japanese company with production in Thailand.

http://www.irc-tire.com/en/mc/company/

They just happen to make affordable tires so they are common on bikes here.

Tubeless tires are great, you don't need to fill them with air so often like with innertubes and you can't get pinch flats or shear the valve stem off like with tubed tires.

Those liquid sealants only work for small holes so I would carry a car tire plug kit just in case.

A tire plug kit is the fastest repair.

I wouldn't trust long term mileage with a plugged tire but it will get you home.

Edited by ttakata
  • Like 2

I put 13000km on my NE135 and never had a flat riding around BKK.
I think flats might be more bad luck than tire brand.

I hope you are aware to go tubeless you need the (5 spoke) alloy wheels like you see on sportbikes.
Laced spoke (bicycle style) wheels always need an innertube on these types of scooters.

Actually IRC is a Japanese company with production in Thailand.
http://www.irc-tire.com/en/mc/company/
They just happen to make affordable tires so they are common on bikes here.

Tubeless tires are great, you don't need to fill them with air so often like with innertubes and you can't get pinch flats or shear the valve stem off like with tubed tires.
Those liquid sealants only work for small holes so I would carry a car tire plug kit just in case.
A tire plug kit is the fastest repair.
I wouldn't trust long term mileage with a plugged tire but it will get you home.

Nouvo also comes with alloy wheels.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The NE135 had 2 wheel options, spoked and alloys.

Doesn't matter; the OP knows he needs mag wheels.

I missed that the first time around, my bad.

Edited by ttakata

Yes.

I'll endorse Michelin Pilot Sporty, which I've mounted on my Nouvos.

Excellent on wet roads too.

Get a plug kit.  YouTube for 'how to'.

Many small bike repair stations may not have plugs.

Some riders consider the plug as an okay permanent fix and ride long time, no problem.

Others view the plug as a temporary fix and recommend a new tire.

Another option is to ride the plugged tire to a car tire shop that can do hot vulcanization repair patch on the inside (my vote.)

Of course if you get a cut in the sidewall, the tire is ruined.

Good luck.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

You can't put tubes into the mag wheels.
The valve of the tube won't fit through the mag wheels hole.
You have to use tubeless tires and valve stems.

I have a tube on the back and tubeless on the front on magged wheels the reason why is that where I live there isn't to many places can sort out a tubeless so I just put a tube in, the front has hasn't a flat yet ( touch wood)so that's why that's tubeless

You can't put tubes into the mag wheels.
The valve of the tube won't fit through the mag wheels hole.
You have to use tubeless tires and valve stems.

I have a tube on the back and tubeless on the front on magged wheels the reason why is that where I live there isn't to many places can sort out a tubeless so I just put a tube in, the front has hasn't a flat yet ( touch wood)so that's why that's tubeless

many small shops can do the conversion. it is not hard. they need to drill and adjust the valve.

just good quality tires will give you less punctures as well. I very very rarely get punctures when i use pirelli tires. But mostly get  a lot of punctures with stock tires.

I also installed Michelin (M29S) on two Honda Click, they are awesome tires, make a huge difference. Make sure you have both front and rear.

They seem very strong and can take high pressure without deforming like other cheap ones. 

as LL2 said, you will have to go for tubeless with mag wheels, you will be spending 6-8K Baht there for the whole setup or wheels plus tires.

Edited by brfsa2
  • Like 2

I also installed Michelin (M29S) on two Honda Click, they are awesome tires, make a huge difference. Make sure you have both front and rear.

They seem very strong and can take high pressure without deforming like other cheap ones. 

as LL2 said, you will have to go for tubeless with mag wheels, you will be spending 6-8K Baht there for the whole setup or wheels plus tires.

I've got these on my scooter and have to say excellent tires. Even in heavy rain they grip well. I've done emergency stops in floods and these tires do not skid or slide an inch, it's just like stopping in the dry.

I've got these on my scooter and have to say excellent tires. Even in heavy rain they grip well. I've done emergency stops in floods and these tires do not skid or slide an inch, it's just like stopping in the dry.

Ridiculous post, as if a tyre wont lose traction

Don't spread false information about serious matters

Ridiculous post, as if a tyre wont lose traction

Don't spread false information about serious matters

I'm not. It's a fact. If I'm losing traction I don't notice. Good tires are good tires. At lower road speeds why is it impossible that a good tire can't stop extremely well in the wet? The OP is riding a scooter, not a GP bike around Laguna Seca.

• 2 weeks later...

I would put a wider tire on the bike at least 10 wider for each if I were changing.  Big advantage in comfort and stability.  Second a new tire and tube of good quality such as Michelin etc should hold up well.  Another thing is stay off the shoulder as most of the debris winds up there.  Go a bit faster and stay in the regular lanes.  I have not had a flat in over 10000 km knock on wood.

And tesco lotus sells them in either 14-80/90 or 14-90/90 for 800 per tire.  I put a set of 90/90 on an airblade and it tracks like on rails.

And tesco lotus sells them in either 14-80/90 or 14-90/90 for 800 per tire.  I put a set of 90/90 on an airblade and it tracks like on rails.

Ok so i just checked and I had a camel 80/90 with a tube on the back and something in Chinese 70/90 tubeless on the front, magged wheels.

So should I go for front and back 90/90? That will help on sand also? I was on the sand the other day put me brakes on and the front end gave way.

1. If you are going to do long trip on your Nouvo, ride on the road not in the so called bike lane unless you really have to. The bike lane is full of nails and all sorts of  crap waiting for you.

2. If you must buy new tyres, yes by all means purchase Tubeless and run them at the right pressures, maximum on a trip.

3. Buy yourself a tubeless tyre puncture kit, most of the big stores have them and big bike shops sell them as well.

Make sure the kit you buy has the can of liquid and is pressurised for blowing up the repaired tyre.

Happy riding

Cheap tyres puncture all the time.
Which is what you get at the Thai side street tyre and repair shops.

Never had a problem with original dealer tyres that come with a new bike.
Honda dealers tend to use IRC, which are fairly pain free.
They are on all my bikes now (600bht rear, 550bht front).

Tubeless are no better than tubed.
Make sure they at at pressure or over (30+ psi).
Under inflated types also puncture more easily.

PS
My Click 125i came new with mag wheels and tubes.
My Airblade came new with mag wheels and tubes. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Ok so i just checked and I had a camel 80/90 with a tube on the back and something in Chinese 70/90 tubeless on the front, magged wheels.

So should I go for front and back 90/90? That will help on sand also? I was on the sand the other day put me brakes on and the front end gave way.

No problem 90/90 on both and if not mistaken I think the michelins at tesco can go on tubeless or with tube.  You will be amazed at the handling with the wider tire.  Just make sure to check with tire gauge after they install as thais typicall put in 50 pounds lol.  I go with 33.

Cheap tyres puncture all the time.
Which is what you get at the Thai side street tyre and repair shops.

Never had a problem with original dealer tyres that come with a new bike.
Honda dealers tend to use IRC, which are fairly pain free.
They are on all my bikes now (600bht rear, 550bht front).

Tubeless are no better than tubed.
Make sure they at at pressure or over (30+ psi).
Under inflated types also puncture more easily.

PS
My Click 125i came new with mag wheels and tubes.
My Airblade came new with mag wheels and tubes.

Advantage of tubeless tyres is, they can be left on the bike and repaired with a kit whilst you are travelling.

Tubed tyres need to be removed and the tube and possibly the tyre needs repairing as well. Not much good in between towns if you are travelling a lot.

I would go up 10mm only , due to the wheel / rim width.  IE 90/90 rear 33-38 PSI (if 2 up) , 80/90 front 32-34 PSI.

Can fit 90 no problem on both rims and the 80 will improve the steering but the 90 will make a huge difference.  Case in point I can comfortably cruise at 90 or 100 km/h on the Airblade with only one hand on the bar and no misdirection.  I cannot say the same for the 80 size.  If anything you can put a 90 front and 100 back but just go the two 90's and lotus doesn't have the 100 size anyway in michelin.

Additionally although nice to be exact with the tire pressure it is largely a waste of time here with tubed tires that lose 7 psi per week.  Just don't overinflated or underinflate but keep in a zone of 25-30 psi if possible.  If you put 33 in you will have 30 or so in a day or two.  Probably why Thais may think they are doing you a favor when they put 50 or 60 psi.  I a few weeks you will be back to appropriate pressure ranges but you will take big risks in the process so don't overinflate.

Edited by losworld