Electricity leakage kills Thai schoolboy beneath sports bleacher

webfact

Sad news.

Can someone makes sense of this article what actually happened? Wouldn't the stand be earthed?

I've been informed by numerous 'electricians' in Thailand that earthing (grounding) is totally unnecessary.

Different from what I was taught.

You've been informed of something by a Thai?! w00t.gif

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do a village party every year. Wish I had the pic I took. Safety pins stuck into the electrical cable to power light bulbs put into the trees. A disaster waiting to happen.

It's the Isaan Standard Electrical Guidelines installation:

post-55939-0-51078900-1401444548.jpg

like the fuses tongue.png

100A, at least. Naaaah, just kidding. It's probably the starter for the tube

• Like 1

Sad news.

Can someone makes sense of this article what actually happened? Wouldn't the stand be earthed?

I've been informed by numerous 'electricians' in Thailand that earthing (grounding) is totally unnecessary.

Different from what I was taught.

You've been informed of something by a Thai?! w00t.gif

Yes.

Some other examples:

No pomplem

Sure, can

Can not

Sorry, no stock.

• Like 1

When building my .....i told the elec. contractor to use a 3-wire system as in the western world. He smiled at me.... no. No.

They will not listen because they know better.

Taking a shower in a new room, touching the fawcett i was electrocuted.

Mai pen rai !! My fists are itching when i see the guy. I am supposed to keep my mouth shut. Yes 4 years of nightmares.

They won't listen !!!!!

Put a Saf-T-Cut on the two incoming wires. AFAIK, as good protection as an earth.

Of course, it will be tripping out often till you debug the leaks -

The Saf-t-cut, elcb, rcd or whatever you like to call it is a further protective device in addition to a correctly installed electrical installation. However all of the safety cut out devices can, and do, fail. They need to be tested regularly which is why they have a test button. test them every six months for your own peace of mind. If they don't trip when the test button is pushed replace them asap.

By the way the two pin outlet, without earth, is very common around the world, not just Thailand. The US is a good example as is (I believe) Italy.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Robby nz, on 10 Jul 2014 - 21:35, said:

What the hell is a bleacher ?
--------------------------------------------------------------

What do you all these in nz, Robby

Google "bleachers":

attachicon.gifbleacher.JPG

In American English, bleachers or stands

Ahh American English, not "Real" English, probably why I didn't have a clue either being a Brit.

Many of you don't have a clue. coffee1.gif

It's not surprising many don't have a clue.

Here's why.

attachicon.gifstand1.jpgattachicon.gifstand2.jpgattachicon.gifstand3.jpg

In English these are called STANDS because this is where people SIT. English, a totally logical language.

Actually, the full word in English is grandstand vs "STAND". I believe it derives (www.dictionary.com) from the words: grand + stand and is referring to the edifice and not to the people using it (unless the are actually grandstanding, of course). This fact doesn't make English a "logical" language, but who said it had to be?

We do a village party every year. Wish I had the pic I took. Safety pins stuck into the electrical cable to power light bulbs put into the trees. A disaster waiting to happen.

It's the Isaan Standard Electrical Guidelines installation:

post-55939-0-51078900-1401444548.jpg

like the fuses tongue.png

Me too! They look like standard 30A safety pins (no pun intended with the word "safety", but not that I think of it - "safety fuses"?). Doubly safety-fused for that "Thai" extra level of circuit protection.

If you're referring to the blue plastic box, I think it's the tube starter.

Edited by MaxYakov

Sorry but a picture's worth a thousand words. But here's 5. "Why am I not surprised?"

attachicon.gifwire1.jpgattachicon.gifwire2.jpgattachicon.gifwire3.jpgattachicon.gifwire4.jpgattachicon.gifwire5.jpg

Don't see any electricity leaking out of those, so they must be safe.

I doubt the boy who was killed saw any leaking electricity be fore he died.

Most people don't see electricity, they feel it and by that time it's usually too late. Shocking really.

Obviously the post was to illustrate the high quality of workmanship in the cabling process.

Soutpeel, on 10 Jul 2014 - 17:25, said:

Translation I know but electricity does not " leak" out of a cable

Unfortunately electrical 'leakage' does occur.

Earth leakage is prevalent in many parts of Thailand especially on domestic appliances.

in Layman's terms, If an appliance isn't earthed, damp or wet conditions can cause electric to pass through the moisture 'looking' for an earth.

This often causes an 'electrical' shock to anyone touching the appliance, because they are earthed, the appliance isn't!

A quntity of posts have been removed as "off topic" if you wish to debate installation methods, purchases, what should or shouldnt be wired by what method, what the regs are etc in other countries, then the DIY forum would be a great place to do that.

• Like 1

Earth leakage is prevalent in many parts of Thailand especially on domestic appliances.

in Layman's terms, If an appliance isn't earthed, damp or wet conditions can cause electric to pass through the moisture 'looking' for an earth.

This often causes an 'electrical' shock to anyone touching the appliance, because they are earthed, the appliance isn't!

Absolutely. Any electrical "tingle" from an appliance should be immediately investigated and corrected. This link was to a post I made (that was removed by a moderator) that was relating an experience I had with a power strip that did not have the earth ground continued internally to the strip's receptacles. It was used on a microwave oven and I was receiving tingles (not the pleasant kind) from the metal cart the oven was sitting upon. The moral of the story is to not trust the electrical integrity of power strips that are purchased in Thailand.

Edited by MaxYakov

Different oxygen from the rest of the planet, too.wai2.gif

Thai's use a different type of electricity to the rest of the world, it doesn't need to be earthed.

This was actually said by a Thai contractor as the condo building was going up.

Here some Thais offer to rewire the house for only 2000 Bath.

The will bypass the electricity meter and you get free electricity.

(Until you go to prison)

I say: No Thank. I prefer to pay my 1200 Bath / Month and I have seen

how they do electricity work in TH.

(Not European standard :-)

wai.gif

What is a "Bath"? A bathtub?

Absolutely. Any electrical "tingle" from an appliance should be immediately investigated and corrected. This link was to a post I made (that was removed by a moderator) that was relating an experience I had with a power strip that did not have the earth ground continued internally to the strip's receptacles. It was used on a microwave oven and I was receiving tingles (not the pleasant kind) from the metal cart the oven was sitting upon. The moral of the story is to not trust the electrical integrity of power strips that are purchased in Thailand.

Guess you are talking about a multi outlet power extension board when you say "power strip". They seen to come in a number of configurations, some with provision for 2 pin plugs, some with provision to accept 3 pin plug, some of these have earthed provision but unfortunately the majority do not (even though they accept a 3 pin plug) the rough and ready guide is, does the power lead of the power board have 3 or 3 pins. Of course this is academic if the power outlet you are plugging the power board into isn't earthed then it follows that any appliance plugged into the power board that should be earthed isn't.

Guess you are talking about a multi outlet power extension board when you say "power strip". They seen to come in a number of configurations, some with provision for 2 pin plugs, some with provision to accept 3 pin plug, some of these have earthed provision but unfortunately the majority do not (even though they accept a 3 pin plug) the rough and ready guide is, does the power lead of the power board have 3 or 3 pins. Of course this is academic if the power outlet you are plugging the power board into isn't earthed then it follows that any appliance plugged into the power board that should be earthed isn't.

Yes it was a power strip that often serves (and was serving in this case) as a multi-outlet extension cord in Thailand. From all external aspects it was intended to support continuation of earth ground (i.e. had a three-prong male and end of a 2 meter cord (for plugging into a wall/other female 220VAC receptacle) and multiple three-prong receptacles as well as a fuse or circuit breaker. Electrically, however, it was not as it appeared externally.

My apartment's wall receptacles had the ground actually earth-grounded, but that didn't help if the power strip had not continued the ground. Obviously, my microwave oven had some small leakage to the case which would have been grounded had my power strip been manufactured correctly.

In a separate incident with one of these power strips, there was a high-resistance contact of the fuse internally within it's holder. The heating of the high-resistance contact actually melted the power strip's case and could have started a fire had it not been found. The fuse holder was made of a more heat-resistant material (bakelite) and did not melt. Under these conditions, the fuse would not and did not get hot enough to melt its wire.

Edited by MaxYakov

Thought it was something you put in with the washing to make the whites whiter.

I believe there has in the last year or three been a law passed in Thailand that the electrical systems of all new buildings must be earthed and they must have 3 core wiring and 3 pin sockets.

Got that from a real properly trained Thai eletromanic, one of the good guys who does the job properly.

You can't be expected to know as you are a Kiwi, but here's an explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleacher

Doesn't a Kiwi peruse Wiki from time to time ?

I love the one about the 'Thai eletromanic' too. I just checked Kiwipedia and they say eletromanic is a rare mental disorder, but I don't see why they should be 'properly trained' ?

Edited by Yann55

Here some Thais offer to rewire the house for only 2000 Bath.

The will bypass the electricity meter and you get free electricity.

(Until you go to prison)

I say: No Thank. I prefer to pay my 1200 Bath / Month and I have seen

how they do electricity work in TH.

(Not European standard :-)

wai.gif

What is a "Bath"? A bathtub?

Yep. In some regions of Thailand you can pay in 'baths'. For example in this case the guy does the job and as a payment, he's allowed to come to your house and take a bath 2000 times w00t.gif

Yes it was a power strip that often serves (and was serving in this case) as a multi-outlet extension cord in Thailand. From all external aspects it was intended to support continuation of earth ground (i.e. had a three-prong male and end of a 2 meter cord (for plugging into a wall/other female 220VAC receptacle) and multiple three-prong receptacles as well as a fuse or circuit breaker. Electrically, however, it was not as it appeared externally.

My apartment's wall receptacles had the ground actually earth-grounded, but that didn't help if the power strip had not continued the ground. Obviously, my microwave oven had some small leakage to the case which would have been grounded had my power strip been manufactured correctly.

In a separate incident with one of these power strips, there was a high-resistance contact of the fuse internally within it's holder. The heating of the high-resistance contact actually melted the power strip's case and could have started a fire had it not been found. The fuse holder was made of a more heat-resistant material (bakelite) and did not melt. Under these conditions, the fuse would not and did not get hot enough to melt its wire.

It is always wise to check all electrical appliances and add-ons such as power boards for correct assembly, I don't trust any thing electrical I buy in Thailand and always run a few checks before putting life at risk. Power boards are always checked for L , N and E connections.

Edited by Artisi

The earth system (3 wires) is a stupid invention indeed not needed. I'm elec engineer....underground cables and a controlling department will prevent such accidents.

How exactly am I going to connect my egoistical appliances such as TV kettle ect using underground cable? Am I missing something?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What do you all these in nz, Robby

Google "bleachers":

attachicon.gifbleacher.JPG

In American English, bleachers or stands

Ahh American English, not "Real" English, probably why I didn't have a clue either being a Brit.

Many of you don't have a clue. coffee1.gif

It's not surprising many don't have a clue.

Here's why.

attachicon.gifstand1.jpgattachicon.gifstand2.jpgattachicon.gifstand3.jpg

In English these are called STANDS because this is where people SIT. English, a totally logical language.

You're right never logical but I think they're called stands because people stood in them rather than sit. They sit now but the name is the same.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app