TAT to restore confidence in Thai tourism market among EU and American tourists

webfact

There was another foreign press item, maybe one of the U&S papers had a story citing that thousands of tourists planning to visit Thailand had instead canceled re-booked to Costa Rica and other lovely places in the America. Costa Rica has no army, very high human development index, lots of medical tourism and very friendly professionally trained and "managed." hotel and travel industry. Costa Rica did very well in the Brazil 2014 World Cup and it received great publicity.

Yes Costa Rica did very well at the world cup.

Do you think a dysfunctional government the was openly controlled by a convicted criminal fugitive and that either permitted or was incapable of stopping daily shootings and bombings aimed at any who dared oppose it; whilst also openly stoking calls for civil unrest, insurgency and treasonable breakaway states may have affected the tourist levels here?

Hopefully the Thai tourist industry can be revamped and some of the less savory aspects associated with a culture prevalent in a Kleptocracy and based on the premise of corruption underlying everything can be removed.

Thailand, could if it got its act together, be one of the world's top destinations.

Nope, it was the Suthep fiasco followed by the coup. Pretty simple.

And which government caused the Suthep fiasco through their illegal acts and attempts to whitewash a crook? And then didn't manage the fiasco but presided over murders and violent attacks which strangely seemed mostly to happen against those who opposed them?

Nice to see that, in the interests of a balanced argument, there are still some supporters who believe that Thailand would be better under Shin rule.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

TAT expects that no one reads the uncensored news.

Does the uncensored news say that terrorist attacks are still happening everyday? Maybe that the baht is in free fall? Maybe the SET is at record lows? The below graph shows the Thai confidence index is on an upward rise since the coup. What does the uncensored news say about that? All these indicators cannot be controlled or censored by the Junta.

It is the narrative that the Junta cannot control that put it in a good light and show that Thailand is healthier today than it has ever been.

Of course if you read in the uncensored press that it is all doom and gloom then that supports the conspiracy narrative that so many in the PTP and the UDD adopt.

The Chinese are already back in droves and this trend will continue.

Well done to the Junta for their hard work and ability to bring Thailand out of shadows of a failed state.

Thai Baht. Where is the free fall?

SETOpen: 1,513.25 Day Range: 1,512.32 - 1,518.92 Year To Date:

+19.41%

Are you talking about Thaialand 2014? Sure?

There isn't which is my point. The uncensored narrative is simply fodder for conspiracy theorists.

So when people read the uncensored news, the news that the Junta cannot control it puts Thailand in a very strong and confident light.

The "other" uncensored news is an agenda driven propaganda narrative of a dying party and other entities.

You seem to live in a unique world that few of the rest of us are privy to. The flight from Shanghai was almost deserted last night. Have you spent anytime offshore since this all happened? The question you get everywhere is still "how dangerous is it?". Not "is it dangerous?" Nobody wants to come here despite the propaganda - Swampy is a ghosttown for large parts of the day.

You are not wrong there. I was there on the 9th and yes, ghost town is a more than apt description. I had a choice of four immigration desks (departure) where the officials were twiddling their thumbs - I was literally through in 90 seconds. Low season or not, I had never seen anything like it at the airport before..

There was another foreign press item, maybe one of the U&S papers had a story citing that thousands of tourists planning to visit Thailand had instead canceled re-booked to Costa Rica and other lovely places in the America. Costa Rica has no army, very high human development index, lots of medical tourism and very friendly professionally trained and "managed." hotel and travel industry. Costa Rica did very well in the Brazil 2014 World Cup and it received great publicity.

Yes Costa Rica did very well at the world cup.

Do you think a dysfunctional government the was openly controlled by a convicted criminal fugitive and that either permitted or was incapable of stopping daily shootings and bombings aimed at any who dared oppose it; whilst also openly stoking calls for civil unrest, insurgency and treasonable breakaway states may have affected the tourist levels here?

Hopefully the Thai tourist industry can be revamped and some of the less savory aspects associated with a culture prevalent in a Kleptocracy and based on the premise of corruption underlying everything can be removed.

Thailand, could if it got its act together, be one of the world's top destinations.

Nope, it was the Suthep fiasco followed by the coup. Pretty simple.

And which government caused the Suthep fiasco through their illegal acts and attempts to whitewash a crook? And then didn't manage the fiasco but presided over murders and violent attacks which strangely seemed mostly to happen against those who opposed them?

Nice to see that, in the interests of a balanced argument, there are still some supporters who believe that Thailand would be better under Shin rule.

Nothing to do with supporting one group or another.

Unfortunately I cannot say what I and many others want to say, that is the situation we are living under now.

And the current situation,that is contributing to the current downturn in just about everything.

Is my life dramatically affected,not really, but then I,and nobody else can't really say can we.

Would I recommend friends and family to visit, possibly, but then if something goes seriously wrong because of the military occupation how would I forgive myself?

We are currently recommending wait and see if the country returns to genuine democratic rule, next year October, I believe?

Just occurred to me. Right up until the result of elections, whenever they may,be people will not be able to say/do what they want etc as the military will still be in control, basically they have already confirmed this?

Post election, will people be able to say/ do what they wish within legal restrictions? Will things be that different within such a short timescale,1 day basically.

Or will certain/many restrictions still be in place from the old guard?

Edited by Thailand

Free drinks for all arriving passengers.

As they wait in the deportation lounge before being shipped out for having overstayed in the past/having no visa/having the wrong visa/having the right visa but the immigration officer is in a bad mood.

Strangely, on my latest deportation the immigration at Chiangmai airport gave me a meal, then told me get a new visa and come back soon. A female immigration officer of course.

Free drinks for all arriving passengers.

As they wait in the deportation lounge before being shipped out for having overstayed in the past/having no visa/having the wrong visa/having the right visa but the immigration officer is in a bad mood.
I won't be waiting with that crowd.

Perhaps because I have the proper visa and obey/comply with the immigration laws and requirements.

Simple really, make it easier for tourists and all ex-pats to stay longer. If the reason for the recent visa run crackdowns is to stop

those working illegally in Thailand do more of a crackdown on businesses using foreign workers. Offer a reward for information

of foreigners working illegally. coffee1.gif

Costa Rica has become a target destination for American expats and visitors--for all the reasons you mention. It has also become quite expensive, which means mostly wealthy American expats are coming in these days. As the wheel continues to turn, expect these relatively wealthy Americans to begin to make life for expensive for Costa Ricans. And then watch as resentment builds and things aren't nearly so nice as they seem to be right now. At least in Thailand, we Americans already have the benefit of knowing both our government and the Thai government don't like us. And we can plan accordingly, instead of fooling ourselves about safety and security.