South African couples dream vacation turns into a nightmare after a motorbike accident

Glad they're alive and kicking but they can't blame anyone for this situation but them selves. They're also lucky not to get arrested for their volunteer work as I'm sure they didn't have a WP for this (just speculating here).

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is a very common occurrence in Thailand. Foreign tourists getting creamed on rented motorbikes. It is painful every time it happens.

After reading the linked article I noticed:

"Their insurer has refused to pay their medical costs as Marius did not have a license to drive the scooter."

Tourists need to read their insurance policies. There are always a zillion exclusions in there. Most common exclusion is breaking the law. For example: driving without a licence.

Also: 

"Marius told reporters that the hospital took their passports. “Now they say we cannot get our passports until we make a partial payment. They said they would call the police to arrest us if we did not pay the bill within five days ” "

Shouldn't the South African Embassy be assisting in threatening the hospital director with arrest for illegally confiscating their passports. This is a civil matter.

Also:

"With their visas due to expire on Tuesday they were very concerned about how they could legally remain in the country with their passports being held by the hospital."

The hospital should be arranging extensions of stay for them. They are entitled to one.

I hope they sue the motor scooter vendor for renting them a scooter when they had no licence. It'll never happen, but I wish it would.
Edited by 96tehtarp

Unfortunately this is a very common occurrence in Thailand. Foreign tourists getting creamed on rented motorbikes. It is painful every time it happens.

After reading the linked article I noticed:

"Their insurer has refused to pay their medical costs as Marius did not have a license to drive the scooter."

Tourists need to read their insurance policies. There are always a zillion exclusions in there. Most common exclusion is breaking the law. For example: driving without a licence.

Also: 

"Marius told reporters that the hospital took their passports. “Now they say we cannot get our passports until we make a partial payment. They said they would call the police to arrest us if we did not pay the bill within five days ” "

Shouldn't the South African Embassy be assisting in threatening the hospital director with arrest for illegally confiscating their passports. This is a civil matter.

Also:

"With their visas due to expire on Tuesday they were very concerned about how they could legally remain in the country with their passports being held by the hospital."

The hospital should be arranging extensions of stay for them. They are entitled to one.

I hope they sue the motor scooter vendor for renting them a scooter when they had no licence. It'll never happen, but I wish it would.

I do know Bangkok SAMUI somehow get around this , many motor bike crash victims are there , but they do have a western insurance Clark who handles the cases so they pay out

Sent from my iPhone 6
using ThaiVisa app

I am not sure how they do it , but when you are first admitted they do check you full insurance docs .. Inthink they alter the accident to fit the claim ..

Sent from my iPhone 6
using ThaiVisa app

First off -sorry to hear abut their bad luck and glad that they both survived. Good luck on the recovery.

However, Darwin theories may apply here.

The article was obviously written to gain sympathy for the unfortunate couple. And they need it. However - a lot not said.

Time of accident.
Was speed/alcohol a factor?
Wearing helmets (I suspect not looking at the young girl's injuries.)
No license
Have they ridden a bike before etc etc

The costs are not horrific in my opinion. The young lady had brain surgery - 600,000 baht. Over 10 years ago I had a finger tip replace in Bangkok at Bangkok General Hospital (including evac from Samui) 300,000 baht!

Both of them were evacuated from KPN - not a cheap venture.

My gut feel is that Bandon Hospital has not been too naughty over costs. (Road rash last year for me taking myself to Thai Inter Hospital after being run over by a pack of dogs and dropping the bike - 25,000 baht.  And I am a local who argued about being given paracetamol at an exorbitant price.)

Hopefully lots of other tourists will read the article and think twice about doing an Evel Knievel.

They were jumping busses?

I thought they were just riding a motorbike like 100,000 other couples on Samui every year?

Hopefully it will be a wake-up call for other tourists assuming their insurance covers them.
[attachment=274801:image.jpg] Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

I thought it was illegal to take away passport even in Thailand, after all the law requires its carried at all times. Sure they should pay the bill bu in my experience the immigration log passport details and block leaving if requested by the hospital pending a civil action that could see them being here for a year until it gets to court as they are not allowed to leave if involved in a civil law case.Yes immigration should cover visa down in Nathon.

They were jumping busses?

I thought they were just riding a motorbike like 100,000 other couples on Samui every year?

Hopefully it will be a wake-up call for other tourists assuming their insurance covers them.

They were on KPN - not Samui, but less traffic, worse roads and same dingbat approach.

I thought it was illegal to take away passport even in Thailand, after all the law requires its carried at all times. Sure they should pay the bill bu in my experience the immigration log passport details and block leaving if requested by the hospital pending a civil action that could see them being here for a year until it gets to court as they are not allowed to leave if involved in a civil law case.Yes immigration should cover visa down in Nathon.

Technically correct - but we all know that many people hold passports here (and in other countries.)

If a crime was committed, the police can confiscate the passport until judgement is made.

Yes - Nathon immigration can sort this out. But will the birdman want his slice?

Never mind the fact that we might sympathise with them, bottom line - they were riding the bike illegally.  No surprise that the insurance company backs out.

First off -sorry to hear abut their bad luck and glad that they both survived. Good luck on the recovery.

The article was obviously written to gain sympathy for the unfortunate couple. And they need it. However - a lot not said.

Time of accident.
No license

The costs are not horrific in my opinion. The young lady had brain surgery - 600,000 baht. Over 10 years ago I had a finger tip replace in Bangkok at Bangkok General Hospital (including evac from Samui) 300,000 baht!

My gut feel is that Bandon Hospital has not been too naughty over costs. (Road rash last year for me taking myself to Thai Inter Hospital after being run over by a pack of dogs and dropping the bike - 25,000 baht.  And I am a local who argued about being given paracetamol at an exorbitant price.)

Hopefully lots of other tourists will read the article and think twice about doing an Evel Knievel.

Totally agree that the costs involved sound reasonable, in fact could you imagine the costs for brain surgery and an extended stay in a western hospital? I'd bet it would be a lot more than 600,000 baht.

While it is a tragic accident it will make no difference at all to so many tourists who continue to risk their lives hiring scooters, not wearing helmuts and being oblivious to conditions of their travel insurance.

It's hard to be sympathetic to people who should know the risks involved yet choose to totally ignore them.

This kind of case is why TAT last year wanted to impose a fee for all incoming foreign passengers (from memory)

This kind of case is why TAT last year wanted to impose a fee for all incoming foreign passengers (from memory)

...and that didn't go down too well in some quarters on this forum.

My wife and I are fully covered with a UK annual travel policy which also covers motor biking in LOS provided we wear secured helmets and the pilot is licenced and insured.

If we survive a road traffic accident in LOS then full coverage is standard.  If we die, then throw us on the pyre and save the cost of repatriation as we've no requirement.

The cost of comprehensive annual travel insurance for us both is akin to three or four rounds down the pub on a Saturday afternoon.
I renew our subscription every year for continuous coverage even though we only travel to LOS twice a year as this also covers all travel bookings in the interim.  It's well worth it.

Could you elaborate on, "assuming the pilot is licensed and insured"?

Is your motor vehicle insurance a policy found in Thailand? Or one you acquired at home?

Thanks

Why did he get the bike if he did not have a licence ????

This happens too often.... Sad as it is...

How true. I would hazard a guess that no more than 20% of the farangs on motorbikes have an endorsement to operate them.

How about the Russians? Do they have a strict drivers license application/permitting department?

I fear its like the beach drownings here. So many tourists come here wrongfully assuming all these activities are safe and they underestimate the risk.

My wife and I are fully covered with a UK annual travel policy which also covers motor biking in LOS provided we wear secured helmets and the pilot is licenced and insured.

If we survive a road traffic accident in LOS then full coverage is standard.  If we die, then throw us on the pyre and save the cost of repatriation as we've no requirement.

The cost of comprehensive annual travel insurance for us both is akin to three or four rounds down the pub on a Saturday afternoon.
I renew our subscription every year for continuous coverage even though we only travel to LOS twice a year as this also covers all travel bookings in the interim.  It's well worth it.
Could you elaborate on, "assuming the pilot is licensed and insured"?

Is your motor vehicle insurance a policy found in Thailand? Or one you acquired at home?

Thanks

My wife is licensed and insured in LOS and she drives and I'm pillion.

Just make sure it's legal and your policy covers all eventualities.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My wife is licensed and insured in LOS and she drives and I'm pillion.

Just make sure it's legal and your policy covers all eventualities.

Thanks. My wife has the same coverage but I do not have motor vehicle insurance, although I still have an MC endorsement on my US license.

My wife was kind when I first met her and allowed me to drive...but after the first day or two the pain from where she dug her fingernails into my sides was enough that I switched to pillion.

Ofcourse, I eventually caught onto the nuances of local traffic habits but I won't ride a motorbike in BKK even now. I also won't take a motorbike taxi or a tuk-tuk. I suppose I am risk-averse nowadays.

Thanks for the info.

hospitals are no charity organizations,same applies all over the world- therefore travel insurance are in place!

They had insurance

Sent from my iPhone 6
using ThaiVisa app

Most travel insurers will not insure you for driving or riding on a motor bike in asia

Time of accident.
No license

Totally agree that the costs involved sound reasonable, in fact could you imagine the costs for brain surgery and an extended stay in a western hospital? I'd bet it would be a lot more than 600,000 baht.

While it is a tragic accident it will make no difference at all to so many tourists who continue to risk their lives hiring scooters, not wearing helmuts and being oblivious to conditions of their travel insurance.

It's hard to be sympathetic to people who should know the risks involved yet choose to totally ignore them.

Considering the fee they wanted to impose was something like 20 times higher than the actual money needed to cover expenses, the real reason was probably something else :-)
  • Like 1

Lucky you are not over 70. If you get there you are in for a "travel insurance" shock.

Those of you saying you are insured need to quieten down or more people will end up in this mess. Most insurance policies for travellers and expats list motorcycle's aswell as other activities as high risk and subsequently do not cover it regardless of your domestic qualifications.

I have held a full UK bike license for 12 years and i am not cover for motorcycle accidents of any cc.

This forum is full of alot of helpful information but there is also alot of rubbish and know it all's which know squat.

The small print is if in doubt ring your insurer, better still have them email you the proof. Then you are safe financially.

Always insure you have the adequate certification for the vehicle you are driving, for both practical and legal reasons.

Drugs, alcohol, speeding, drunk passengers, taxi's, drunk pedestrians, kids, dodgy roads, sand, leaves and many other dangers presented to riders here. Even us licensed drivers get a headace, i hate to think how it feels to drive here without a license. My brain would melt.

Sent from my HUAWEI G610-U20 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...