SRT governor sacked

Lite Beer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How exactly did the top guy screw up?

He ran a train service that allowed a passenger to be raped and killed comes to mind?

And how was he responsible for that gruesome act?

I thought they already caught the guy responsible?

From the news it appears the killer was employed by the railways. Any safety related incidents, whether it be a train crash or a methed up rail-worker killer rapist is ultimately the responsibility of the man at the top in the normal world. Perhaps the next SRT leader might better install procedures to vet their employees and install safe passenger environments to travel in - but i doubt it.

Hopefully the next Governor will create hiring guidelines that prevent the hiring of anyone with a criminal record and will make rules against workplace use of drugs & alcohol. Hopefully the next Governor will make it against the rules for anyone to edit an applicants criminal record to circumvent the rules.

As for the normal world, the CEO is not removed every time something bad happens at the company--in fact, its his job to see the company through such difficult periods and mitigate the possibility of a recurrence. That is exactly what this Governor was attempting to do.

The simple fact is no one can predict or stop a random act of violence like the one that occurred. The next Governor cannot prevent it either. They could place 10 cameras in every compartment and it would not have stopped this.

From the news it appears the killer was employed by the railways. Any safety related incidents, whether it be a train crash or a methed up rail-worker killer rapist is ultimately the responsibility of the man at the top in the normal world. Perhaps the next SRT leader might better install procedures to vet their employees and install safe passenger environments to travel in - but i doubt it.

- - - - - - - -

... but actions like this clearly increase the likelihood of such vetting being put in place, as opposed to what has gone on for the past several decades under the likes of that vile KhunT. It all adds up to Gen. Prayuth making Thailand a better place for everyone, even farangs (as long as they are staying here legally)...!!

• Like 1

The sacked SRT governor Prapat Chongsanguan is actually the former governor of two successful public transportation systems in Bangkok, the BTS Skytrain and the MRT Subway (Mass Rapid Transit Authority (MRTA)) and has been pretty popular and successful in these previous jobs, I believe.

His profile:

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Prapat-Chongsanguan/9766272

• Like 2

The buck stops with him.

Everybody says it but they don't know what it means.

It means that person will take action. That he won't ignore it.

There is no indication this Governor was ignoring it.

He was hired one year previous. If you had any upper management experience then you would understand that the top brass cannot possibly check the screening process of every bedmaker and laundry person within their employ. They have larger responsibilities.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

OK maybe I shouldn't be harsh i.e. my above comment, but first, to the folks saying he's not responsible, as the CEO he should in fact take full responsibility for such egregious things as the derailments and this horrible rape/murder. He seemed to be mostly trying to shirk that responsibility in his public statements, and I found that extremely unprofessional of him.

With great power comes great responsibility. If you want to pass the buck, don't take the top position. Simple.

Something bad happens down the line, the top guy falls on his sword. As it should be.

This wouldn't have happened before the coup. No matter how high you are, if you screw up, you will be held responsible. Well done!

Response self censored but we are all happy and everything is perfect.

Thank you TVGerry, you are enlightenment personified.

More sandwiches, anyone ?

• Like 1

Quote ClutchClark

Hopefully the next Governor will create hiring guidelines that prevent the hiring of anyone with a criminal record and will make rules against workplace use of drugs & alcohol. Hopefully the next Governor will make it against the rules for anyone to edit an applicants criminal record to circumvent the rules.

As for the normal world, the CEO is not removed every time something bad happens at the company--in fact, its his job to see the company through such difficult periods and mitigate the possibility of a recurrence. That is exactly what this Governor was attempting to do.

In the real world, if the CEO did nothing to stop nepotism and almost certainly got his job by the same means, which led to this monster being given a job with the the company which subsequently led to serial rape and murder, drug and alcohol consumption.... then add to that a public outrage threatening protests in the capital.... Then yes, they would either be forced to resign or sacked and in the UK and USA they would likely be facing big prison time on top.

I don't know where you come from, but it sounds either a worse place than Thailand or you have just gone through life wearing a blind

Intoxication of Employees
  • Section 93 Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003 (Stones 7-5732) provides that aircrew and controllers may be prosecuted if they are impaired from carrying out their duties by drink or drugs
  • Transport and Works Act 1992 (Stones 7-7079 - 7080) workers on railways or tramways may be prosecuted if they are unfit for work through drink or drugs.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_transport_offences/#intoxication

From network rail:

NR Drugs and Alcohol policy booklet (1).pdf

May be a good read for who ever is next boss of SRT

Maybe tomorrows headline will be a army division has been appointed to police the trains and railways, testing for drugs and drunk employees.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

Why is the relative of the rapist still not named and still employed?

He was the reason the assailant was hired. He was the one who fabricated the employment records.

He is the one who needs to be fired.

Didnt the SRT governer first claim the assailant was a contractor not an employee?

Sloping shoulders - needs firing

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

OK maybe I shouldn't be harsh i.e. my above comment, but first, to the folks saying he's not responsible, as the CEO he should in fact take full responsibility for such egregious things as the derailments and this horrible rape/murder. He seemed to be mostly trying to shirk that responsibility in his public statements, and I found that extremely unprofessional of him.

With great power comes great responsibility. If you want to pass the buck, don't take the top position. Simple.

What buck did he pass? Please tell me.

Perhaps you don't realize he has only had the position for a bit over one year.

Perhaps you don't understand that fixing track issues to prevent derailments takes alot of time, money and manpower. Entire sections of track have to be identified and replaced and before that can happen, money has to be budgeted and that budget has to be approved. Efforts of this magnitude take years to execute even in a functional society and with a properly maintained railway...neither of which existed here.

But, hey, the guy is sacked and now public confidence can be restored. There will be no more derailments. There will be no more violent acts. There will be no more acts of nepotism. Problem solved.

I just read that a schoolboy was electrocuted at his school. Are you going to petition for the head monks dismissal? Maybe the head of the electrical company?

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

Having worked in the Marine industry in the Government for over 30 years in a western country I can say that everything safety related is to minimum standards.Drinking on the job when I was younger was almost standard practice.......many times I came to work & the Captain was wasted...someone covered for him while he slept it off.

Luckily I was never involved in a disaster...& looking back I still wonder why I never reported a potential disaster in the making...but like others you cover for your crew mate...

In fact any new regulation usually comes about because of death...like a ship sinking etc. since the dawn of time for ships.

For sure a despicable act by the employee but people even in the west get hired because they know someone..this is not unique to Thailand.

Not every employer checks for previous crimes..I'm not justifying it...just saying it happens.

People do the same job day in & day out & some get lazy in the routine...most times everything goes right.

People sitting in their chair behind a computer don't know the whole story.......

even if it is a story in the newspaper...

but it's always easy to say what should have been done & to blame someone...it's only human.

My thoughts are for the family of this young girl..& hopefully justice will be served

but she will never come back & the family will always feel the pain.

Edited by iphad
  • Like 1

@ ClutchClark

Of course he couldn't fix the broken train system in one year. But it appears nothing at all was done. He also made public statements to the effect he shouldn't be held responsible, rather than do the honorable thing and accept responsibility (never mind the inappropriate remark about "knowing how the family feels"). That's what honorable executives do, not pass the buck, even if their resignation is refused.

And as was pointed out, he earlier agreed to resign vis a vis derailments but reneged on that promise.

Obviously, the folks above him agreed with me :-P.

Of course it's not a solution, but it's an action that demonstrates remorse, in contrast to his excuse-making, which sent exactly the wrong message.

But AFAIC you're welcome to your opinion, and I'm welcome to mine. We've both expressed our views. Case closed, it's not worth arguing about--at least for me. Feel free to continue if you wish but I'm signing out for the day!

@ ClutchClark

Of course he couldn't fix the broken train system in one year. But it appears nothing at all was done. He also made public statements to the effect he shouldn't be held responsible, rather than do the honorable thing and accept responsibility (never mind the inappropriate remark about "knowing how the family feels"). That's what honorable executives do, not pass the buck, even if their resignation is refused.

And as was pointed out, he earlier agreed to resign vis a vis derailments but reneged on that promise.

Of course it's not a solution, but it's an action that demonstrates remorse, in contrast to his excuse-making, which sent exactly the wrong message.

But AFAIC you're welcome to your opinion, and I'm welcome to mine. We've both expressed our views. Case closed, it's not worth arguing about--at least for me. Feel free to continue if you wish but I'm signing out for the day!

What excuse did he make? I never heard him make an excuse.

And it is not correct to say nothing was done to improve track conditions. Much was done. The line to CM was closed for several months while repairs were being made. The number of derailments are way down on that line. Lets atleast stick to the facts.

Honorable executives? Isn't that called an oxymoron? Seriously though, what I read is that he asked how his dismissal would fix the problem--which seemed a reasonable question to ask.

As for the folks above--come on, they just want this story to end and his dismissal was the most expedient way to accomplish that. Its called scapegoat.

I am about to wrap it up for the evening myself.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

Obviously he is not high ranking enough to be moved to an inactive position! Would this constitute a loss of face? Is this Thainess. whistling.gif

I think they will sack almost anyone they want to. Not too long ago the Prime Minister and her entire government got sacked.

Even the constitution got sacked.

and for good reason

• Like 1

Something bad happens down the line, the top guy falls on his sword. As it should be.

This wouldn't have happened before the coup. No matter how high you are, if you screw up, you will be held responsible. Well done!

he was also one of Thaksin man and thought he is safe. a good wake up call for all government official who were put in place by the old regime

• Like 1

Response self censored but we are all happy and everything is perfect.

Thank you TVGerry, you are enlightenment personified.

More sandwiches, anyone ?

He didn't so much fall on his sword as have it rammed up his jacksie but you're right this wouldn't have happened before the law returned to Dodge.

And things are not perfect, just a lot better than they were.

• Like 1

Obviously he is not high ranking enough to be moved to an inactive position! Would this constitute a loss of face? Is this Thainess. whistling.gif

I think they will sack almost anyone they want to. Not too long ago the Prime Minister and her entire government got sacked.

Even the constitution got sacked.

Troll, much?

• Like 1

- - - - - - - -

... but actions like this clearly increase the likelihood of such vetting being put in place, as opposed to what has gone on for the past several decades under the likes of that vile KhunT. It all adds up to Gen. Prayuth making Thailand a better place for everyone, even farangs (as long as they are staying here legally)...!!

Actually George I like this x10, but I can't click it up - right on!

• Like 1

How exactly did the top guy screw up?

He ran a train service that allowed a passenger to be raped and killed comes to mind?

Your answer is complete nonsense! So he should be held personally responsible for everything that any one of thousands of employees might do? Perhaps you can reveal to us your plan for stopping bad stuff from happening in the world.

Far from it Mate!

in many countries Politicians who are usually blameless in these situations resign on mass when there's a terrible tragedy (Japan Passenger plane crashes) Granted there isn't a high death toll here but as must be clear to anyone this crime has quite understandably outraged a great deal of the Thai population.This guy is much more strongly connected to what happened and by rights should have resigned bearing in mind Thai accountability or lack of that was never going to happen So the General did the decent thing.

To buttress you argument: South Korean prime minister resigns over ferry disaster response http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/27/world/asia/south-korea-ship-sinking/

And the PM is above the transport ministry. There is a habit in Thailand of politicians/officials/everybody not taking responsibility. The rapist assumed more responsibility than the SRT governor who immediately, when confronted with the facts, went into denial mode.

• Like 1

No surprises with the public outrage, the buck stops at the top and this incident was too high profile to be ignored.

The head guy to blame directly but hes taken the pay check so it falls to him to take professional responsibility anyway.

Would have seen the same result no matter what,with such a high profile incident his time was done and this way he gets the payoff rather than has to break a contract which he may well have cost him money by resigning.

dosnt look like hes anyones fool by his track record and people need to remember hes not the one who killed anyone nor likely to have ever stopped it happening no matter what.

People just like to blame anyone remotely connected to such a murder but the truth is only the guy that did it is a murderer

• Like 2

@ ClutchClark

I think that despite it being a harsh decision in comparison with others in thailand it is time that the idea of accountability started to come into these issues in thailand.

It's a start. Good.

Can you provide me an example where this has been a standard practice in the Western World?

Lets see, there was the Deepwater Horizon Oilspill in the Gulf of Mexico. How many workers died in that incident, how many barrels of oil and environmental degradation occurred? An accident that resulted from pure negligence and profit motivation. (Where was the profit motivation for Governor of SRT?)

The Deepwater Horizon incident was both a US & British corporate affair...and, yet, Tony Hayward was allowed to remain in office for two months after the spill.

Why? So that a proper hearing could take place after a thorough investigation. Thats how its done in the real world.

So, your intention is good to suggest the buck stops with him, but your execution is a knee-jerk response to populist pressure and emotion and not carried out in the professional and responsible manner all of you continue to hold as your gold standard of responsible corporate culture.

BTW, Tony Hayward was "forced" to step down--he did not "take the sword" as several of you suggest is standard.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

Would have seen the same result no matter what,with such a high profile incident his time was done and this way he gets the payoff rather than has to break a contract which he may well have cost him money by resigning.

dosnt look like hes anyones fool by his track record and people need to remember hes not the one who killed anyone nor likely to have ever stopped it happening no matter what.

People just like to blame anyone remotely connected to such a murder but the truth is only the guy that did it is a murderer

Exactly...well stated.

- - - - - - - -

Actually George I like this x10, but I can't click it up - right on!
Do you not understand that the vetting already was in place and clearly defined in the employee hiring rules.

However, it was intentionally circumvented by a relation of the assailant. It was performed illegally and without the knowledge of anyone but the assailant and the relative and possibly someone at that lower level who chose not to whistle-blow.

The hiring practice rules, the vetting, already existed but were circumvented--they were intentionally cheated by removing any record of his arrest history.

Edited by ClutchClark

The due process should be that the actual people, I.e Human Resources Manager, the relative of Wanchai and the supervisor should take the fall, if this is a direct result of the murder of the poor little girl. However, SRT is a failing company that needs a massive overhaul , if they get the right person in, that clears the decks then so be it.

• Like 1

The due process should be that the actual people, I.e Human Resources Manager, the relative of Wanchai and the supervisor should take the fall, if this is a direct result of the murder of the poor little girl. However, SRT is a failing company that needs a massive overhaul , if they get the right person in, that clears the decks then so be it.

Thanks, MrToad, for acknowledging the proper procedure.

The sad thing is the more you research the accomplishments of the now "sacked" governor, the more one realizes he was just the guy to make the major overhaul and had started in that Herculean effort in his one short year at the SRT.

But its done now and he is gone. I am just relieved someone here on TV actually knows how its supposed to be done.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark