Starbucks looks to 400 outlets in Thailand

webfact

400 stores? Starbucks is a perfect example of quantity having nothing to do with quality.

It's also an example of how a Western company is allowed to put small Thai businesses out of business, while individual Westerners can not work for fear of taking a job from a Thai.

Wouldn't that be true for a number of other (UK, US, Japan, etc.) companies here?

All of which employ Thais and are available for Thais to share in profits through stock purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Starbucks is not just only providing a premium coffee experience,..."

He could get a job as a politician. Or else he went to politician's school. Either way, his level of spin and outright deceit makes one of those options probable.

You should feel petty for the guy, he has to drink this brackish water at his employer's outlets every day. Or does he sneak across the street into a small mom and pop coffee shop with a halfway decent coffee machine using a halfway decent coffee blend however fabricating a much more decent brew than what you get at Starbucks at a hyper inflated price!?

• Like 1

It amazes me what a huge upswing coffee suddenly had in Thailand, the trend started I think roughly in 2006. Not only chains like Cafe Amazon, but all over the country specialized coffee shops selling like cappuccino's, lattes and so on. And that after all those years when you could with good luck only get nescafé, apart from the traditionally made coffee early in the morning in market areas. I noticed that Thai people mainly seem to order cold coffee.

I don't care for Starbucks. I think the US Dunkin' Donuts coffee is far superior (never tried the Thai Dunkin' Donuts coffee? Do they even sell it?) Anyway, I don't like Starbucks coffee, but the procedural nonsense is just wacky. It's been a long time for me, but my first exposure to Starbucks was in a US airport, and I just wanted a cup of coffee on the run. I stopped at a Starbuck's. Hah! The interrogation began: Did I want vente? (or some such. As I say it was some time ago) Huh? I recall some other discussion about things I wasn't quite sure how to answer, but I finally got a coffee-like drink for something like $4 USD. I didn't really enjoy the coffee and the experience of even getting it was just silly.

I have been to a Starbucks a few times, a coupe of years ago. I am NOT a stingy person at all; however - once I realized how ridiculously over-priced they were and the very mediocre quality of their coffees - I have stayed away from Starbucks out of sheer principle ! ! !

If I want to waste money; I'd rather it went to a worthy charity: NOT to Starbucks ! !

coffee1.gif

400 stores? Starbucks is a perfect example of quantity having nothing to do with quality.

It's also an example of how a Western company is allowed to put small Thai businesses out of business, while individual Westerners can not work for fear of taking a job from a Thai.

Wouldn't that be true for a number of other (UK, US, Japan, etc.) companies here?

Yes. That doesn't exonerate any particular one, though, and Starbucks actually does affect Thai business owners very directly because they are coffee vendors. Speciality, say Japanese restaurants could be argued are providing variety.

Edited by Seastallion
  • Like 1

Starbucks tried to go big time in Oz but we know what good espresso tastes like as pretty much every shop that sells food sells espresso coffee. A few years after they arrived they closed up several hundred shops and left with their tail between their legs. Even McDonald's makes better coffee in Australia.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agree. Starbucks is just overpriced crappy American coffee and food. The yanks have a hell of a lot to learn when it comes to making a quality cup of coffee, not at rip off prices. That is the reason they failed in Australia.
McDonald's coffee is quite good and consistent across the globe. Not an easy task.

I wonder what the labor cost is in Australia is compared to Thailand? They seem to do well where the labor cost is cheap, but there are enough hi-so's to foot the bill like here in the UAE.

The exchange rate may have also played a part in SBX'S lack of business success in oz.

Edited by utkb

Oh, goody! Somebody done pushed the forum Starbucks hot button. clap2.gif It's been at least a month since we had our ol' recurring HATE STARBUCKS thread! Pile in, boys. Repeat it all again and again and again.

Sorry, the thread can't morph into the beloved DEATH TO THE GREAT SATAN and the silly DOWN WITH GLOBAL CORPORATIONS. Mods will get ya!

Seems to be unanimous on here, Starbucks is crap coffee and food.

And that opinion is SO irrefutable, widespread, and important that Starbucks is expanding to another 200 outlets, despite plenty of competition.

But, no. The Starbucks threads are always filled with trolls and haters while Starbucks outlets are filled w/ customers, both Thais AND farangs. Money talks, bullshit walks. It's not the best, but quite OK. I can afford it, no problem. I often stop by and enjoy Starbucks, the more for the hate from TV members, esp our rabid Brits and Ozzies. Cheers! smile.png

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

Thais love the brand and happily pay 3 times the price of better coffee at other shops just to be seen at Starbucks or arrive at the office with the cup.

From another perspective it's strange that the people are prepared to pay 3 times the price of a normal lunch for a coffee.

The number of coffee outlets in Thailand exploded in the past years in a way that it's by now almost impossible to make a decent living of it, but the vendors and lessors of expensive coffee machines are laughing their but off!

Yes. That doesn't exonerate any particular one, though, and Starbucks actually does affect Thai business owners very directly because they are coffee vendors. Speciality, say Japanese restaurants could be argued are providing variety.

I think the answer for Thai business owners has already been pointed out ... make a better (and cheaper) cup of coffee than the big guys. It shouldn't be difficult, according to a number of Starbucks critics on this thread.

Work permits are a whole other problem.

• Like 1

All of which employ Thais and are available for Thais to share in profits through stock purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Careful, you are being too logical for the whingers! :)

• Like 1

I enjoy the Starbucks experience, so nope, you are wrong, not unanimous. Plus Starbucks created the motivation for Thai coffeeshops to flourish, so, Thank you Starbucks!

• Like 2

It amazes me what a huge upswing coffee suddenly had in Thailand, the trend started I think roughly in 2006. Not only chains like Cafe Amazon, but all over the country specialized coffee shops selling like cappuccino's, lattes and so on. And that after all those years when you could with good luck only get nescafé, apart from the traditionally made coffee early in the morning in market areas. I noticed that Thai people mainly seem to order cold coffee.

All the "coffee shacks" in Thailand sprung up immediately after after Starbucks came here. We can thank Starbucks for plentiful good coffee in Thailand. Before that, you only found nescafe. I know, I was here.

• Like 1

I don't care for Starbucks. I think the US Dunkin' Donuts coffee is far superior (never tried the Thai Dunkin' Donuts coffee? Do they even sell it?) Anyway, I don't like Starbucks coffee, but the procedural nonsense is just wacky. It's been a long time for me, but my first exposure to Starbucks was in a US airport, and I just wanted a cup of coffee on the run. I stopped at a Starbuck's. Hah! The interrogation began: Did I want vente? (or some such. As I say it was some time ago) Huh? I recall some other discussion about things I wasn't quite sure how to answer, but I finally got a coffee-like drink for something like $4 USD. I didn't really enjoy the coffee and the experience of even getting it was just silly.

You can order a House Coffee. You could have said "I want a cup of black coffee". They would give you the choice of medium or large.

Not so difficult.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He could get a job as a politician. Or else he went to politician's school. Either way, his level of spin and outright deceit makes one of those options probable.

And this quote: "grow the market as well as consumption frequency,"

Not sure why, but that term really irritates me...

• Like 1

I drink coffee at Starbucks...they usually have a newspaper to read too...was cheaper back home with my Starbucks card & free refill...maybe not my 1st place for a coffee.

I have tried McDonalds coffee..I like the coffee & atmosphere better at Starbucks.

I welcome more Starbucks outlets..more jobs,more coffee..

I like the competitors too..but it's trial & error to find a good one at least one knows what to expect at Starbucks.

Cheaper to drink good coffee at home but one must go out sometimes.

• Like 2

Why, you poor dear. Gettin' confused, head spinnin' 'round and all! I can just imagine. Probably what happened in Australia.

Maybe next time you could ask one of the other of the 60 million customers who visit Starbucks weekly to order for you or guide you through the hellish process.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

I don't drink coffee, but going on what I have read here, Starbucks are just a typical capitalist company who I hope go the same way as they did in Australia.

I don't drink coffee, but going on what I have read here, Starbucks are just a typical capitalist company who I hope go the same way as they did in Australia.

You will be healthier by not drinking coffee.

I hate to tell you but most companies are capitalist..

the ones that aren't capitalist aren't in business anymore

although a government run chain of coffee shops could be a good thing.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Somehow it is sad to see. 400 branches of a store which sells a big cup of coffee which costs more then a half of the minimum daily wage of the majority in this country sad.png

How to satisfy the Occupy Wall Streeters? I know: the gov't should offer vouchers, tied to Thai ID card, to all those you decide are too poor to afford a coffee at Starbucks. Good? Then there could be the Benz vouchers . . . .

It's good to see more Thais employed at a real company, more tax revenue generated, more opportunities for investment, and more satisfaction for the market for the Starbucks product.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And this quote: "grow the market as well as consumption frequency,"

Not sure why, but that term really irritates me...

How may we help you get over it, princess?

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

You will be healthier by not drinking coffee.

Nonsense.

Is coffee good or bad for me? "The best answer may be that for most people the health benefits outweigh the risks."

6 Surprising Health Benefits of Coffee

How to Avoid Spreading Myths and Misinformation Online

although a government run chain of coffee shops could be a good thing.whistling.gif

Screw that, unless your taxes, not mine, are paying for it.

• Like 1