Starbucks looks to 400 outlets in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starbucks tried to go big time in Oz but we know what good espresso tastes like as pretty much every shop that sells food sells espresso coffee. A few years after they arrived they closed up several hundred shops and left with their tail between their legs. Even McDonald's makes better coffee in Australia.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In blind taste-tests, McDonalds rates higher than Starbucks in the US. http://www.foodfacts.info/blog/2007/02/mcdonalds-coffee-ranks-high.html

I buy my coffee from a roaster in New Orleans who mixes the coffee with roasted chicory root. The chicory makes the color darker and the flavor richer without the bitterness of straight double strength coffee. I use it to make New Orleans' style Café au lait (double strength coffee with equal part scalded milk). Nectar of the Gods. I tried Starbucks coffee a few years ago, when a friend treated me, and it was weak as dishwater and tasted a little burnt. I haven't been back. I'm happy Starbucks is doing well as it means more employment in the Kingdom.

400 stores? Starbucks is a perfect example of quantity having nothing to do with quality.

It's also an example of how a Western company is allowed to put small Thai businesses out of business, while individual Westerners can not work for fear of taking a job from a Thai.

Starbucks virtually created the boutique coffee shop market in Thailand with hundreds of new competitors having sprung up to take advantage of the demand created by Starbucks. I see coffee shops now like never before. Many thousands of people have good paying jobs with benefits because of the new markets Starbucks created. They are the Microsoft of coffee. What coffee shops were put out of business? Did McDonalds put Thai burger companies out of business? Did Pizza Hut put Thai pizza companies out of business? No. They created a market where there wasn't one. Now Thailand has its own, indigenous The Pizza Company. Live and let live.

had one once never again overpriced rubbish its just people go there thinking in crowd place to be seen bullsh..t hope parsites go belly up

hope parsites go belly up...and all their Thai employees have to go find work in some 'parasite' factory, right? So, which do you hate more 'parasite' companies or Thai people wanting to have a job with benefits?

You do know if Starbucks goes 'belly up', the hi-sos might come 'slumming' to places where you hang out? What are you going to do then?

• Like 1

I have been to a Starbucks a few times, a coupe of years ago. I am NOT a stingy person at all; however - once I realized how ridiculously over-priced they were and the very mediocre quality of their coffees - I have stayed away from Starbucks out of sheer principle ! ! !

If I want to waste money; I'd rather it went to a worthy charity: NOT to Starbucks ! !

coffee1.gif

I'd rather it went to a worthy charity

It does go to charity in the form of higher wages and benefits for the employees. A company can't afford to pay those kind of benefits on discount products.

Seems to be unanimous on here, Starbucks is crap coffee and food.

I don't drink coffee, but going on what I have read here, Starbucks are just a typical capitalist company who I hope go the same way as they did in Australia.

but going on what I have read here

My, unsolicited, advise is for you not to make judgments/decisions based on what you read on this forum LOL

I hope go the same way as they did in Australia

Yep, just what Thailand needs; fewer good-paying jobs with benefits. /sarcasm

just a typical capitalist company

And maybe Toyota should move out too, right?

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 2

I don't drink coffee, but going on what I have read here, Starbucks are just a typical capitalist company who I hope go the same way as they did in Australia.

You will be healthier by not drinking coffee.

I hate to tell you but most companies are capitalist..

the ones that aren't capitalist aren't in business anymore

although a government run chain of coffee shops could be a good thing.whistling.gif

a government run chain of coffee shops could be a good thing

You mean like a SRT of coffee?

• Like 1

I hate to tell you but most companies are capitalist..

the ones that aren't capitalist aren't in business anymore

although a government run chain of coffee shops could be a good thing.whistling.gif

a government run chain of coffee shops could be a good thing

You mean like a SRT of coffee?

actually it was a joke about capitalist coffee shops...I have no intention of going or supporting a government run chain of coffee shopswhistling.gif

• Like 1

I know coffee is bad for me

That was also debunked earlier w/ a couple of references, one from Mayo Clinic. Mere repetition doesn't prove your point.

Next.

Caffeine in coffee is a mild diuretic so going to take a piss alot more.

Coffee contain acids that can cause heartburn.

Caffeine in coffee can raise your blood pressure& adrenaline levels.

Caffeine in coffee can cause sleep problems such as insomnia.

I agree there are some benefits but in the end it's still a drug...try quitting & see how you feel.

I also believe it's not for everyone so I said "I know coffee is bad for me"...it wasn't a general statement for everyone.

Like most things..in moderation...drinking more than 8 cups a day is probably not a good thing.

Best drink in the morning is warm water with lemon juice..not a coffee.

Do note I said "can raise" meaning that every person is different & one has to judge for their own.

But judging from your McDonalds as a healthy food statement I wouldn't be asking you for any healthy food advice.whistling.gif

Arabica has apprx half the caffeine that robusta has so you can get the benefits of coffee without as much harmful caffeine if you drink arabica instead of robusta. Luckily for us Arabica is grown here in northern thailand.

http://www.barkingdogcoffee.com/our-coffee/arabica-vs-robusta/

• Like 1

My personal opinion is that Starbucks is not bad coffee but the Arabica I get from my MIL tastes better.

Starbucks did expand the coffee market in thailand and helped create a shitload of good paying jobs at their own locations and the other coffee shops that sprang up so it is good that they came to thailand.

I do not buy coffee at starbucks nor do i take a johnny walker bottle with me when i go out at night but there are plenty of those that do so why not take advantage of that fact as long as it is creating more jobs for the lower class?

• Like 2

Somehow it is sad to see. 400 branches of a store which sells a big cup of coffee which costs more then a half of the minimum daily wage of the majority in this country sad.png

How to satisfy the Occupy Wall Streeters? I know: the gov't should offer vouchers, tied to Thai ID card, to all those you decide are too poor to afford a coffee at Starbucks. Good? Then there could be the Benz vouchers . . . .

It's good to see more Thais employed at a real company, more tax revenue generated, more opportunities for investment, and more satisfaction for the market for the Starbucks product.

It is not like this. We are talking about the 400th branch of some coffee shop where a coffee costs more then the most earn in this country in a half day of work. This is not a benz, this is not some coffee with caviar inside, this is simply just "coffee".

You are paying simple 4-5 times more because of the brand name. So I guess it is kind of social injustice if you live in a country where the "most" ( MOST ) people can't afford this simple coffee because it costs more then half of your daily salary. We are not talking about some parasites who want everything for free...we are talking about the majority of people in this country...

If you ask me. Small things like this are a mosaic stone of the problem what makes this country so split up.

Sounds like you would be happier if everyone was poor and no one could afford to pay higher prices for anything. Are there no other places in Thailand for coffee? Why begrudge those who want to spend extra money for atmosphere and cachet? Does it bother you that some folks spend 20 times what you paid for better seat on an airplane? I flew business class and the flight attendant told me they had just installed the same seats in business class as were in first class. I asked her what was the difference then, and she told me they got a salad cart and fewer seats in that compartment. First class was twice as expensive as business class and business class was ten time economy class. 'It's just an airplane' and it will get you all there at the same time. It's a big world out there so why not live and let live. At the end of the day, more working class people won't have to work for stingy Chinese bosses or rich, Thai Amataya; they can work at Starbucks, instead and make more money and benefits to boot.

• Like 2

I am not getting into a long draw out debate on Starbucks, afterall I have only had one coffee there when they were in Oz, but I would focus on the quality of the coffee I have drunk over the last 40+ years.

Here's where I started. Mum always had it in the cupboard. But back then it was a square glass bottle.

post-63954-0-86960100-1405129645_thumb.j

Over the years the were a number of instant brands tried and never really enjoyed.

Then in the 70's I can across the real coffee taste in a little cafe in Lygon St Carlton....and real pizza, but that's another story!

Once you have tasted the real coffee taste there is no turning back.

I've had 3 coffee makers: one dripper and 2 expresso machines....my little Krupps is 6 years old! 2 grinders a hand crank and an electric.

I buy beans only, not ground. Only small 250gm vacuum bags. And here in Pattaya Thailand there is a little cafe that roasts their own beans and bags them a short time later. Benjumit Coffee Shop is frequented by expats in droves. There are other good beans but none fresher than Benjamit beans.

post-63954-0-45031000-1405130312_thumb.j

The worse coffee I have ever had, I think was made with battery acid not water, was off a street vendor not far from JJ Market on Pharponythin Rd. bah.gif Terrible!

So, I can say with some confidence I have tasted the best and worst the world has to offer.

And if Starbucks can open 400 outlets here in Thailand I take me hat off to em! I won't be seeing the inside of any of them but I am sure many will. biggrin.png

• Like 1

That was also debunked earlier w/ a couple of references, one from Mayo Clinic. Mere repetition doesn't prove your point.

Next.

I agree there are some benefits but in the end it's still a drug...try quitting & see how you feel.

I also believe it's not for everyone so I said "I know coffee is bad for me"...it wasn't a general statement for everyone.

Like most things..in moderation...drinking more than 8 cups a day is probably not a good thing.

Best drink in the morning is warm water with lemon juice..not a coffee.

Do note I said "can raise" meaning that every person is different & one has to judge for their own.

But judging from your McDonalds as a healthy food statement I wouldn't be asking you for any healthy food advice.whistling.gif

Arabica has apprx half the caffeine that robusta has so you can get the benefits of coffee without as much harmful caffeine if you drink arabica instead of robusta. Luckily for us Arabica is grown here in northern thailand.

http://www.barkingdogcoffee.com/our-coffee/arabica-vs-robusta/

Robusta coffee is cheap bitter coffee usually used in instant coffee etc..& house brands at grocery stores.

Darker the coffee roast is less caffeine too..

But there is still caffeine in coffee.

But I am not against drinking coffee..I drink it everyday & at home I use fresh ground arabica beans...

but that doesn't mean that coffee is healthy for everyone..as the symptoms I pointed out.

having 1 or 2 cups a day I'm sure is ok..having 10 cups a day..which I have done...probably isn't.

Point is as I think you'r making..drink quality coffee & enjoy it.

Matter of personal choice and opinion if Starbucks is quality coffee...but I always enjoy going there...

even if it isn't my favourite coffee.

Edited by iphad
  • Like 1

the most extortionate of coffee outlets ,i never use them as theres cheaper outlets

Very wise of you, too.

A penny spar'd is twice got.

--George Herbert's Outlandish Proverbs (1633)

Thanks for the introduction of George Herbert. Mr. opalred is a prime example of 'there are non so blind as those who will not see'.

Depressing news, I don't want to see Thailand look even more like a watered down version of the states. I never go into one, nor Mcdonalds or kfc etc. I prefer to give my custom to small Thai coffee shops where the coffee is better at less than half the price.

Don't worry. As long as Thailand is full of Thai people, it will NEVER be like the US. I commend you for spending you money at small mom and pop shops, as I do, myself. I hope you aren't having trouble finding outlets for Thai food (what with all the US franchises moving here).

I am not getting into a long draw out debate on Starbucks, afterall I have only had one coffee there when they were in Oz, but I would focus on the quality of the coffee I have drunk over the last 40+ years.

Here's where I started. Mum always had it in the cupboard. But back then it was a square glass bottle.

attachicon.gifCropperCapture28.jpg

Over the years the were a number of instant brands tried and never really enjoyed.

Then in the 70's I can across the real coffee taste in a little cafe in Lygon St Carlton....and real pizza, but that's another story!

I've had 3 coffee makers: one dripper and 2 expresso machines....my little Krupps is 6 years old! 2 grinders a hand crank and an electric.

I buy beans only, not ground. Only small 250gm vacuum bags. And here in Pattaya Thailand there is a little cafe that roasts their own beans and bags them a short time later. Benjumit Coffee Shop is frequented by expats in droves. There are other good beans but none fresher than Benjamit beans.

attachicon.gifCropperCapture29.jpg

The worse coffee I have ever had, I think was made with battery acid not water, was off a street vendor not far from JJ Market on Pharponythin Rd. bah.gif Terrible!

So, I can say with some confidence I have tasted the best and worst the world has to offer.

And if Starbucks can open 400 outlets here in Thailand I take me hat off to em! I won't be seeing the inside of any of them but I am sure many will. biggrin.png

Good post...Starbucks is a US success story I guess...although the US is a coffee nation since Independence partially due to throwing Tea overboard in Boston 1 night...but they have never been quality coffee drinkers compared to Europeans.

Starbucks was quite instrumental in advancing America's awakening to ...hmmm dare I say ..quality coffee...compared to what was generally available.at the time.

My impression in Aussieland is that Aussies are more European in their coffee drinking so Starbucks catching on there was probably doubtful anyways.

Since Thailand is a new to coffee drinking..Starbucks will probably do relatively well here.

Ah Lygon St, little Italy lined with cafe's which serve the best coffee in Melbourne.

There is a Starbucks in Melbourne on Southbank but it is surrounded by cafe's along the Yarra River. Starbucks is always deserted but the little cafe's are packed to the ceilings.

Thought you'd buggered off already as you said you were gonna.

None of the above proves or affirms that coffee does anything of the sort for yourself. Let's see the numbers. wink.png And even if it did, as I told you,

Is coffee good or bad for me? "The best answer may be that for most people the health benefits outweigh the risks."

6 Surprising Health Benefits of Coffee

I've quit briefly. No, I didn't feel better and I missed it and I find it rather helpful esp in conjunction w/ exercise. Yeah, always gimme my cuppa! smile.png And yeah, I'll take Starbucks if I happen to be in the neighborhood.

I also believe it's not for everyone so I said "I know coffee is bad for me"...it wasn't a general statement for everyone. Do note I said "can raise" meaning that every person is different & one has to judge for their own.

Whoops:

Oooh, nice backpedaling but which leaves you with merely a trivial, obvious, irrelevant point. Most anything can be bad for you, esp in excess. And everybody knows that, and anyone can figure out whether he likes coffee or not and whether, in an unlikely case, he's suffering health issues as a result of drinking it.

Now your post has got nothing to do w/ Starbucks in particular and the opening of 200 more outlets but really is a shift of topic to yourself--which I gather is one of your favorite topics, but on this public forum, who else cares? You got health concerns or issues, post in the health forum. 60 million people buy coffee at Starbucks weekly--but coffee MIGHT do something harmful to YOU. That is a MAJOR public concern, no? It so desperately cries out for publication on a public forum in a thread about more Starbucks outlets opening in Thailand.

And the answer for you, which you probably could have figured out, is that nobody's gonna force you to go to Starbucks and drink any coffee there. Period. And you're not gonna go, though they probably could make you some water w/ lemon, so what IS your problem exactly?

You could just as well have pointed out the health benefits of coffee. But you have just got to imply something, anything negative about the growing popularity of Starbucks in Thailand at least--the ol' Brit/Ozzie knee-jerk?--so we're left with this time-wasting irrelevant 'round and 'round. Aren't there a lot more coffee shops in Oz, the very epicenter of coffee drinking and superior coffee culture, than in Thailand? Don't Ozzies drink more coffee than Thais?

So you MUST be posting health warnings about coffee drinking in them on Oz forums, esp when a new outlet opens up, right? Well, no . . . . Now, why is that? wink.png Starbucks!

How to Avoid Spreading Myths and Misinformation Online

Next.

Edited by JSixpack

In some countries, a Starbucks shop is like a pseudo American Consulate - American tourists can pop in from the hectic streets of BKK/Shanghai/Tokyo/Riyadh and be transported back to Main Street USA for 30 minutes, and speak a strange dialect worthy of a Masonic secret society just to order a drink (e.g. Venti Iced Skinny Hazelnut Macchiato, Sugar-Free Syrup, Extra Shot, Light Ice, No Whip, whatever that means ).

• Like 2

Good post...Starbucks is a US success story I guess...although the US is a coffee nation since Independence partially due to throwing Tea overboard in Boston 1 night...but they have never been quality coffee drinkers compared to Europeans.

Starbucks was quite instrumental in advancing America's awakening to ...hmmm dare I say ..quality coffee...compared to what was generally available.at the time.

My impression in Aussieland is that Aussies are more European in their coffee drinking so Starbucks catching on there was probably doubtful anyways.

Since Thailand is a new to coffee drinking..Starbucks will probably do relatively well here.

Next time you are in Amarin Plaza note a place called The Coffee Spot ( 2nd floor on the left as you come in from the skywalk). It is always sad and deserted...but it is the place that first started to serve European style coffee, about 30 years ago when Amarin opened. Then, it was a huge success, even though the coffee was expensive ( something like 30 or 40 Baht, quite substantial then). Now it struggles to survive because people want these 2nd rate, trendy mega stores. Sad. Fortunately the trend in more sophisticated cities is the opposite.For example, New York is seeing a boom in European style coffee houses and a relative decline in the chain store model.

• Like 1

Spurlock gained a huge amount of weight in his experiment,developed heart issues, a fatty liver, massively increased cholesterol and other serious health consequences.

Which put him the category w/ so many Thais who eat Thai food almost exclusively.

Health Ministry: 2 Thais Suffer Ischemic Heart Disease Every Hour

So? You're still begging the question of whether it's possible that McDonald's food can be healthier than the Thai food eaten by the average Thai nowadays (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/638349-is-thai-food-actually-healthy/)--and can even be healthier period. You so desperately want to cling to a simple little schoolmarm stereotype, and be a moral and health arbiter, but, trouble is, there's, ah, reality. Sorry!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/sparkdining-eatery.asp?id=3

http://www.drgourmet.com/health/fastfood/mcdonalds.shtml

http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Healthy-at-McDonalds

http://www.livestrong.com/article/417444-healthy-food-at-mcdonalds/

https://twitter.com/johncisna

Your glib denials ring hollow and the snide way in which you dismiss any contrary view reeks of vested interest. A shareholder perhaps?

Typical TV troll assertion. I say something good about Pattaya, I'm a real estate agent! Good laugh. Probably is a good time to invest in Starbucks, though. Make enough and you needn't worry about the price of coffee there. But I never do anyway.

Just educatin' ya, pal, benevolently savin' your soul from the torments of eternal damnation w/ all the other Starbucks haters, which include the miserable anti-americanistas, anti-globalists, Occupy Wall Streeters, 99 Percenters, nanny-staters, and the many little Che Guevaras who pop out of the woodwork in response to the magic hot button: STARBUCKS. You can thank me later. Cheers! smile.png Might I anticipate seeing your righteous scowl outside a Starbucks window?

Edited by JSixpack

Next time you are in Amarin Plaza note a place called The Coffee Spot ( 2nd floor on the left as you come in from the skywalk). It is always sad and deserted...but it is the place that first started to serve European style coffee, about 30 years ago when Amarin opened. Then, it was a huge success, even though the coffee was expensive ( something like 30 or 40 Baht, quite substantial then). Now it struggles to survive because people want these 2nd rate, trendy mega stores. Sad. Fortunately the trend in more sophisticated cities is the opposite.For example, New York is seeing a boom in European style coffee houses and a relative decline in the chain store model.

Amarin Plaza is an excellent place to observe the coffee price disparity. On the ground floor just outside Amarin, you can get a cafe latte for 35 baht at 7-11 new upscale coffee bar. You can walk a few steps to the ground floor McDonalds or its "gourmet" coffee bar on the 4th floor and get a latte for 75 baht. On that same ground floor, there is a Starbucks with its pricing, and about 6 other coffee bars in that relatively small mall selling the same latte for somewhere in between these prices. It does get confusing, but honestly a cheap quite good coffee that is drinkable is now available in that upscale Chidlom mall area.

this is excellent news and exactly what Thailand needs, more coffee shops!!! Am I just a conspiracy theorist or does every Somchai and his mother seem to be laundering cash from somewhere though coffee shops? There is no actual way on earth they could possibly be making any money from them, although this may just apply to Chiang Mai and surrounding areas...... Same applies to the limitless number of resorts in the middle of nowhere, with not a prayer of ever seeing a customer.

Do you have any idea what their profit margin is? Do you know what it costs them to create that 100 baht cup of Java? Not to mention the 90 baht fruit shakes, the 65 baht muffins, etc. All cheaper in the states. And labor costs? Are you serious with this question?

Spidermike007

Most Mocha seems to be tasting the same but when in Bangkok I am always dropping by at a Starbucks near my office to have a large Hot Mocha with cream and one of their sandwiches.

Coffee World is another one I like but nothing near my office.

If I want a another good coffee I just take by Red Super Coffee (87 Baht for 25 packs) and drinks it at home.

In my opinion coffee world makes Starbucks look really good. Very mediocre, poor service, and a horrifically bad selection of desserts. At least the Starbucks product is decent quality. And the location and spaces are usually nice. Coffee World misses every mark in my book. They even serve poor quality tea. They appear to have no self respect.

Spidermike007

• Like 1