Why do they re-enact crimes on TV?

pinkpanther99

Why is that they show reenactments of crimes on TV in Thailand?

Is it something to do with the legal system in Thailand?

What are the reasons behind it, what purpose does it serve?

Surely these images could impact on a trial or do things not work like that in Thailand?

Does this kind of thing happen in other countries too?

I ask the question following the terrible news about the murder of the girl on the train.

Today I turn on the TV to see a news report which showed the murderer standing over a police man (who was meant to represent the victim) mimicking how the murderer held the victim down and strangled her.

I found it quite disturbing.

Do they not care how the victims family and friends might feel when they see these images? Or is this type of thing just the norm.

I'm not Thai bashing and I hope this thread isn't derailed by Thai bashing, all my questions are genuine.

I just don't get it.

• Like 1

It is the norm, and has been since the year dot, but what it is meant to accomplish is beyond me. I find it utterly grotesque and can only see one point: that it might encourage witnesses to come forward, having had their memories jogged by seeing the reenactment on TV or in the papers.

• Like 1

I could understand the re enactment to jog peoples memories etc for more information, but not when they already caught the guy!

And using him to re-enact it is like showing everyone, "this is what he did" as though the wider audience can understand images but not written or spoken descriptions.

Either way I think its very odd to use the actual perpertrator in that way.

• Like 1

While they are ridiculous and mostly insensitive, some of these reenactments do provide some amusement.

I remember a PDN news report which showed a police reenactment where the head policeman was pointing to a TGAU.

What a fool he must feel every time that gets dragged up at the policeman's ball every year.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

While they are ridiculous and mostly insensitive, some of these reenactments do provide some amusement.

I remember a PDN news report which showed a police reenactment where the head policeman was pointing to a TGAU.

What a fool he must feel every time that gets dragged up at the policeman's ball every year.

I actually remember that one to it happened outside The TGA, and If I am not mistaken the TPV Howard was involved, saying "do not resist" It was pretty hilarious - just as most things on PDN.

• Like 1

I could understand the re enactment to jog peoples memories etc for more information, but not when they already caught the guy!

And using him to re-enact it is like showing everyone, "this is what he did" as though the wider audience can understand images but not written or spoken descriptions.

I seems odd to me as well. However it's just part of his confession. He shows, for the record, how exactly he did it.

Crime reenactments are common in many police investigations throughout the world.

However, in most places this is usually never done in public and may not even involve a suspect him or herself.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree - if they are looking for more information then a reconstruction, similar to what you would see on Crimewatch in the UK is probably very effective.

But when they already have they guy they are looking for...

Re-enactment is part of the criminal code, and has been since Kings Mongkut and Chulalongkorn put it together. It's a bit of a hybrid system but there is strong French influence. In France, crimes are re-enacted as in Thailand... or I guess it's vice-versa. The goal of the system is to work a case so precisely and exactly that few or - better - no innocent people are actually taken to court. So a pre-trial investigation goes on and on, and re-enactment is part of that.

There is a very good, one paragraph explanation in this document, just search for "reenactment"

http://goo.gl/Km2hBv

Thanks, this is the kind of answer I was looking for. I had no idea a similar system was used in France too.

really very simple answer really ..... ITS JUST AS THEY SAY ......THA INESS .........nothingh makes any sence here ...............thumbsup.gif

Yes, I'm sure there is an element of Thainess to it too.

But there must be some kind of reasoning behind it.

That said, everyday in Thailand I am left with more questions than I have answers!

• Like 1

Then there was the one with the rapist straddling a huge teddy bear on the bed. Even the rapist was smiling in that photo op.

Then there was the one with the rapist straddling a huge teddy bear on the bed. Even the rapist was smiling in that photo op.

I've known people who actually have sexual relations with a Teddy bear, so don't knock it. They were though detained in a Psych Hospital laugh.png

• Like 1

I actually remember that one to it happened outside The TGA, and If I am not mistaken the TPV Howard was involved, saying "do not resist" It was pretty hilarious - just as most things on PDN.

Excuse my ignorance but who is Howard?

Are you talking about Howard the Duck?

Excuse my ignorance but who is Howard?

Are you talking about Howard the Duck?

85mHP1S.gif

Why do they point? We are talking about some very basic people here. Thailand ain't that sophisticated.

"Thailand ain't that sophisticated. "

They can only hope to rise to the level of sophistication exhibited on Thai Visa.

Apparently they are sufficiently sophisticated to explore the issue themselves, though.

The police handling of the investigation into the recent murder of Akeyuth Anchanbutr has whipped up controversy and criticism. The police are not required by law to include a crime re-enactment in their investigation, but why do they, including those handling the murder case of Akeyuth, still make suspects re-enact a crime they allegedly committed despite the risk of human rights violations?
Courts are no longer allowed to accept as evidence suspects' accounts during their re-enactment of serious crimes after laws were amended to prevent a repeat of some high-profile criminal cases in which scapegoats were convicted.
Edited by Suradit69

I've known people who actually have sexual relations with a Teddy bear, so don't knock it. They were though detained in a Psych Hospital laugh.png

You promised me you wouldnt tell everyone about how we met.

• Like 1

Young Thai kid murdered two Thai/Falang kids on our village. Over a thousand people waiting for him to come and do the show. Kid eventually (after 2 attempts) went in the house and the parents had to watch him do his little thing whilst the TV crews where everywhere. Crowd got rowdy and wanted some blood. Police did nothing if not egg them on. Bottom line, they could not (Hmmm) get this kid out of there. Over 5 hours and three attempts to get to him by the American father later! they still could not get them out. Had to put a police uniform on him and smuggle him out in the early hours of the morning. What those kids parents had to go through being locked inside that house with the man who just murdered their two babies is not worth thinking about. In my opinion it was the worst policing i have ever had the misfortune to witness in my life, disgraceful and they are not far behind the kid who did it.

I think you misunderstood the situation. The cops were actually giving the father a chance to exact revenge.

Could you be in the same room with someone who had killed your kids without tearing him to shreds?

No way I could. The whole crowd outside would stand up in court and say they watched the perp stab himself to death forty times. Job done.

• Like 1

Young Thai kid murdered two Thai/Falang kids on our village. Over a thousand people waiting for him to come and do the show. Kid eventually (after 2 attempts) went in the house and the parents had to watch him do his little thing whilst the TV crews where everywhere. Crowd got rowdy and wanted some blood. Police did nothing if not egg them on. Bottom line, they could not (Hmmm) get this kid out of there. Over 5 hours and three attempts to get to him by the American father later! they still could not get them out. Had to put a police uniform on him and smuggle him out in the early hours of the morning. What those kids parents had to go through being locked inside that house with the man who just murdered their two babies is not worth thinking about. In my opinion it was the worst policing i have ever had the misfortune to witness in my life, disgraceful and they are not far behind the kid who did it.

I agree, theres been many cases like that.

A few years ago there was a TVF member who was asleep in his house one night when it was raided by some nasty grubs who were there to rob him and his thai wife.

During the robbery one of the offenders hit the guy with a pot,saucepan,wok or something over the head and either knocked him out or knocked him silly, i cant remember which. Anyway, the were able to escape the home only to be apprehended a couple of days later by the Police. A day or two after that the Police brought this gang of thugs back to the victims house & armed one of them with a saucepan so he could re-enact the assualt. This thug was filmed holding the pan against the side of the victims head.. Anyway, what a joke, I wouldnt have any part of something like that, absolutely ridiculous, its beyond me.

I vaguely recall the farang ended up grabbing the thug by the throat or something and there were a few harsh words, I mean what do the Police expect.

Perhaps by reenacting these crimes they can cut down on paperwork. In western countries Police spend countless hours typing statements and preparing documents, maybe this somehow reduces that, I dont know, but I can tell you nobody would be bringing offenders back into my home, period!

• Like 1

I think you misunderstood the situation. The cops were actually giving the father a chance to exact revenge.

Could you be in the same room with someone who had killed your kids without tearing him to shreds?

No way I could. The whole crowd outside would stand up in court and say they watched the perp stab himself to death forty times. Job done.

I think YOU misunderstood the situation! he was stuck in there for over 5 hours and was not allowed to get near him. The cops where actually rubbing salt into his wounds.