Why do they re-enact crimes on TV?

pinkpanther99

While they are ridiculous and mostly insensitive, some of these reenactments do provide some amusement.

I remember a PDN news report which showed a police reenactment where the head policeman was pointing to a TGAU.

What a fool he must feel every time that gets dragged up at the policeman's ball every year.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I actually remember that one to it happened outside The TGA, and If I am not mistaken the TPV Howard was involved, saying "do not resist" It was pretty hilarious - just as most things on PDN.
So now maybe you can explain TGAU, TGA and TPV to us. Oh, and PDV . Great post apart from being incomprehensible.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by cooked

Inappropriate post/images deleted.

Please remember this is not an adult only site.

Just curious - what percentage of users of Thai Visa are not adults, by Thai Visa reckoning. The above actually has more of the ring of my maiden aunt than actual research, but do tell.

What's to try in court once you have a reenactment. Guilty as charged, it would seem.

I recognise cynicism with I see it but yes, in fact you're at least partly right here.

Unlike most of the English speaking world, Thailand has no "right to a speedy trial". On the contrary. Systems like the Thai system use pre-trial investigation that goes on and on and which aims to weed out the innocent people along the way, so that only guilty people are taken to court. It is the opposite of English law, which is very confrontational, with the state "charging" the arrested person committed the crime and then confronting him in court. In the Thai (French) system, police and investigators attempt to know everything about the crime before it enters the court system and there is very little confrontation or drama in Thai courts.

Edited by wandasloan

I think you misunderstood the situation. The cops were actually giving the father a chance to exact revenge.

Could you be in the same room with someone who had killed your kids without tearing him to shreds?

No way I could. The whole crowd outside would stand up in court and say they watched the perp stab himself to death forty times. Job done.

I think YOU misunderstood the situation! he was stuck in there for over 5 hours and was not allowed to get near him. The cops where actually rubbing salt into his wounds.

Anyway I'd be more than happy to go to jail to sort him out and if I couldn't do that I'd be paying his family a visit.

Do you know what happened to the perp?

Re-enactment is part of the criminal code, and has been since Kings Mongkut and Chulalongkorn put it together. It's a bit of a hybrid system but there is strong French influence. In France, crimes are re-enacted as in Thailand... or I guess it's vice-versa. The goal of the system is to work a case so precisely and exactly that few or - better - no innocent people are actually taken to court. So a pre-trial investigation goes on and on, and re-enactment is part of that.

There is a very good, one paragraph explanation in this document, just search for "reenactment"

http://goo.gl/Km2hBv

Very interesting. And put like that, it makes sense.

I spotted in all of that, that in the French system it is usually a case of "One judges the man, not the facts".

I wonder if that concept was inherited by the Thais from the French also.

I think also as loss of face is a big thing here, it just might be the final humiliation of the person concerned

I could understand the re enactment to jog peoples memories etc for more information, but not when they already caught the guy!

And using him to re-enact it is like showing everyone, "this is what he did" as though the wider audience can understand images but not written or spoken descriptions.

Either way I think its very odd to use the actual perpertrator in that way.

I seems odd to me as well. However it's just part of his confession. He shows, for the record, how exactly he did it.

Re-enactment is part of the criminal code, and has been since Kings Mongkut and Chulalongkorn put it together. It's a bit of a hybrid system but there is strong French influence. In France, crimes are re-enacted as in Thailand... or I guess it's vice-versa. The goal of the system is to work a case so precisely and exactly that few or - better - no innocent people are actually taken to court. So a pre-trial investigation goes on and on, and re-enactment is part of that.

There is a very good, one paragraph explanation in this document, just search for "reenactment"

We'll have less of the common sense and informed comments if you don't mind, it's unsettling for the Thai bashers.

While they are ridiculous and mostly insensitive, some of these reenactments do provide some amusement.

I remember a PDN news report which showed a police reenactment where the head policeman was pointing to a TGAU.

What a fool he must feel every time that gets dragged up at the policeman's ball every year.

I actually remember that one to it happened outside The TGA, and If I am not mistaken the TPV Howard was involved, saying "do not resist" It was pretty hilarious - just as most things on PDN.
So now maybe you can explain TGAU, TGA and TPV to us. Oh, and PDV . Great post apart from being incomprehensible.

You will need to joins the TVF GAS club, before those secrets are revealed.

Being an American myself and having traveled to many countries and lived/taken part in many cultures and traditions I have learned to not gauge/judge or criticize the ways of one country against that of the one I was raised in. (USA) Who is to say that one is any more of a model or right/wrong than the next. The USA by far is no model to compare perfection or what is right.

A reenactment is a visual confession acted out by the accused whereas in the west we use words or audio to suffice. Censorship has both its pros and cons. Sure lets all respect the family and loved ones of a victim of a crime or accident but what are we really doing. If we show such images we fear desensitizing people but I believe its just the opposite.

FOR EXAMPLE:

Take the "SURGEON GENERAL" warning on a pack of cigarettes in the USA. Just a bunch of big words that most people can't truly interpret its true meaning and dangers of the words contained within that short sentence. Now replace those words with a gruesome, actual image and you might actually convey the message more accurately.

I'll take a confession to a gruesome crime by any means I can.

Thanks, this is the kind of answer I was looking for. I had no idea a similar system was used in France too.

Yes, interesting idea, isn't it? That so many TV members were baffled as to the possible value of a reenactment - though it could be that so many assume that the Thais must always do things in a stupid way.

Thanks, this is the kind of answer I was looking for. I had no idea a similar system was used in France too.

Yes, interesting idea, isn't it? That so many TV members were baffled as to the possible value of a reenactment - though it could be that so many assume that the Thais must always do things in a stupid way.

Are you suggezting that The Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys are intelligent?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by mrtoad

Are you suggezting that The Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys are intelligent?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ah, you'd be British then? Been singing "Two World Wars and One World Cup" recently? Don't you lot ever get just a tiny bit bored with repeating the same handful of racist "witticisms"?

Edited by Globeman

You will need to joins the TVF GAS club, before those secrets are revealed.

Please Mr. Toad, the first rule of TVF GAS is 'we don't talk about TVF GAS'.

I recall one that produced a near riot when the accused was brought back to a Moo Baan in Pattaya to do the re-enactment.

Surely it is an invitation for a lynching.