Pattaya To Intensify Control of Motorcycle Taxis Again

Rimmer

Pattaya To Intensify Control of Motorcycle Taxis Again

3213.jpg
PATTAYA – July 9, 2014 [PDN];- Mr Sakchai Tang-Ho-chief district of Bang Lamung- disclosed the solutions for controlling motorcycle taxis in Pattaya after they had opened a registration centre but there were still only 1,000 riders that had registered when there are around 100 motorcycle taxi stations and around 4,000 motorcycle taxi riders in Pattaya.

As a result they had concluded that they would use the data already collected and will put it into a data base. They will also send 3 teams of the officers out to inspect each motorcycle taxi station in Pattaya so they can collect the information from each rider, station and location to form a more realistic data base.
Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/pattaya-to-intensify-control-of-motorcycle-taxis-again/

pdnews.jpg
-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-07-11

and this is going to achieve what exactly - can someone with a brain please take over this operation and sort all of the transportation out in Pattaya - including MB taxis - bhat buses - metered taxi - speed boats - and last but not least jetski's

Lets get tariff signs on all the vehicles and MB taxi ranks clearly showing the price for various fares

They need to do exactly what they have already done in Phuket and Bangkok

• Like 1

Lets get tariff signs on all the vehicles and MB taxi ranks clearly showing the price for various fares

It's part of what Pattaya City Hall want to do. smile.png

They already did it for bahtbus a few years ago.

They already announce prices for motorbike taxis: 25 B up to2 km + 5 B/additional km

It's part of what Pattaya City Hall want to do. smile.png

They already did it for bahtbus a few years ago.

They already announce prices for motorbike taxis: 25 B up to2 km + 5 B/additional km

well out of 4-5000 riders only 1000 turned up - for me that is a middle finger salute

my next action would be imposing a 3000baht fine to those caught operating that had not registered, and a similar fine for taxi ranks not clearly displaying the fares

and if you don't mind me asking - where did they announce the fare tariff in pattaya

• Like 1

4000 MB taxis and only 1000 taking the law seriously?

Simple... outlaw the unregistered and have a swoop team confiscating all illegal MB taxis on the spot and auction the bikes of up north so the rider can't buy it back cheap.

Plow the money into improving transport.

4000 MB taxis and only 1000 taking the law seriously?

Nobody said such a thing! The registration has been asked by City Hall in June. They have until mi-July (?) to register. This article in June 26 said 1'091 had register at this time. This figure clearly has not be updated by the persone writing the article in July 9... rolleyes.gif

It seems obvious that if their is a limit date to register, their will be some kind of action against those who didn't register. w8.

Considering that half of them borrow the vests from a "friend" the 1000 is a pretty good turn out.

I think police may find that once they have to register, there would be less taxi's around

My cook use to do taxi after work. Usually tanked drunk by midday already.

I seriously doubt he would register or even provide his name.

PS. I know for a fact, he crashed one night with a customer,, but as per usual did the runner.

Considering that half of them borrow the vests from a "friend" the 1000 is a pretty good turn out.

I think police may find that once they have to register, there would be less taxi's around

PS. I know for a fact, he crashed one night with a customer,, but as per usual did the runner.

Then the Tabards (vests) should bear the the licences name too, basically they should have the same information you would find displayed in a licenced taxi. they should also have insurance, maybe even bikes should have to comply with extra safety requirements and have registration plate of a colour that denotes they are registered for taxi work.

Wonder if your cook actually has insurance or even a licence?

That's why not only the registration of operators is needed but enforcement too.

Here are examples of boards that are appearing at Motorbikes Taxi "stations" :

204.jpg

Wat Chai market station (South Road along Wat Chaimongkron)

Fares :

- Entrance South Road (Sukhumvit?) : 30 B

- Big C North Pattaya : 50 B

- Soi 7 : 30 B

- Sukhumvit Central Road : 40 B

- City Pattaya (North Rd?) : 50 B

25 B min up to 2 km, then 5 B/km. From 5 km agree with price before.

210.jpg

213.jpg

Having them all in Thai is fairly useless.

Useless? Only if you can't read it... wink.png

If you are a tourist, just learn to recognize the main locations :

Pattaya Tai, Pattaya Klang, Pattaya Nua, Jomtien

Far better to have them in Thai that to have nothing wink.png

So how many tourist come here can read thai then ?

Putting the signs only in Thai in a major TOURISM city (one that insanely lacks REAL car metered taxis) seems to me to INVITE the operators to overcharge NON-THAI people. Duh!

Not impressed. bah.gif

I'll believe this is for real when they deal with the issue of the baht buses and fake taxi meters being owned by the same so called cooperative and not offering any metered taxis (basically owning and controlling any potential COMPETITION).

That's the acid test.

No reason to be optimistic.

Would be thrilled to be proven wrong!

Edited by Jingthing

So how many tourist come here can read thai then ?

To-date I am not convinced they are insured, and as a Brit I have never seen any travel insurance that will cover me riding a bike as "driver" or pillion, best that tourists should keep away from them.

Then the Tabards (vests) should bear the the licences name too, basically they should have the same information you would find displayed in a licenced taxi. they should also have insurance, maybe even bikes should have to comply with extra safety requirements and have registration plate of a colour that denotes they are registered for taxi work.

Wonder if your cook actually has insurance or even a licence?

That's why not only the registration of operators is needed but enforcement too.

I can tell you, he does not have anything.

But just heard an interesting piece of information on the news.

As part of the changes, they are only allowed to charge a maximum of 25 Baht for journeys up to 2kms, then a further 5 Baht per kilometer. If the journey is over 5kms then the customer and taxi driver must negotiate a fee prior to undertaking the journey. - See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/134703/clampdown-on-pattaya-motorbike-taxi-drivers/#sthash.zdcFNiUz.dpuf

Edit: Just noticed someone already posted, but here is the link to English anyway

Edited by Pralaad

This is not working very well at all

I got a 1km MB taxi ride from two taxi ranks on two separate occasions and asked them the fair after the journey and both said 40baht, I challenged them with the 25baht and they looked completely puzzled as though they knew nothing about it - this was on Pattaya Klang area

And to display a yellow plate..... According to the Pattaya newspaper report.

If I have over-imbibed, I need to stagger about at 2 in the morning looking for a yellow plate and then negotiate the price? Sigh.

• 5 months later...

well it has been six months and i do not see any sign of changes to taxi fares. they still drink while working, charge farang what they want. live at pad condo pattaya and motorcycle taxis do what they want. does not look like police care about controlling them.