Are Hangover Good?

Neeranam

I am an alcoholic(recovered/ing) and basically never got hangovers. I only got withdrawal which was fixed by drinking more. A buddy(doctor) once remarked that  he was grateful that he got hangovers unlike me as he couldn't imagine drinking any more when he had them really bad.

Are hangovers good? Can they prevent you from becoming an alcoholic?

Are hangovers good? Can they prevent you from becoming an alcoholic?

If the hangover is really bad the morning after a drinking binge, suffering people often swear they'll not drink again. But for many, by the following night or the next weekend, they'll forget about the pain, the shakes, the nausea and start working on another drunken night ... or afternoon ... or even have a drink in the morning because they think that will make the hangover more bearable.

I only got withdrawal which was fixed by drinking more.

Yes, the hangover may make some people feel horrible, but the addiction & feeling of withdrawal can still be a stronger force.

So a bad hangover might discourage some people from drinking again soon, but it doesn't stop others from repeating the same self-destructive behavior over and over again.

Hope you continue your recovery. 

• Like 1

I may have bad hangovers......If really really too much I feel I must die all the next day......leave bed only for vomit but can't sleep.

That teaches you something......Some like me are slow learners but with mid 30 I never had it again.......

Well my experience was just keep on drinking nightly and eventually I didn't get them any more. Problem was not only did I lose them but I lost my friends and my family my home as well as work.

Then the horrible part set in when I tried to stop drinking. I used to quit every morning when I got up. Some times up to 14 hours.

I found my way into the rooms of AA and they gave me a new way to live. Got the job back the family came back got new friends and found out some of my old friends were more than willing to help me stop drinking if there was ever any thing they could do let them know.

As I look back on it and remember the beginning and the end where the hangovers were I can not see how any thing that painful could be good for me. Maybe others but defiantly not me. You know there is some thing wrong when every thing you try to do leaves you still sick feeling all over. Even if I could have levitated it would not have helped.

• Like 2

I suppose it might stop a normal drinker. Alcohol damages tissue and is generally unhealthy - expensive too. So quitting might be good even for a normal drinker.

For me it was the price of admission. And I paid... a lot.

Hangovers let me know my body was rejecting the toxin. But I had flicked the 'I don't give a switch' and was off to the races with no brakes.

The flu stopped me for a day or two. But as soon as the fever started to come down a bit - I was drinking again.

• 5 weeks later...
I get the shakes, insomnia and a bad constant headache for 4 or 5 days after just one heavy drinking session. I'll stop drinking for 4 to 6 weeks, then have one big night out again. I think the reason I get such bad, long lasting hangovers, is because I have a long period without any alcohol at all. So, for me, although the hangovers aren't nice, I think they're a good thing!
  • Like 1

I've found drinking German beers and not mixing the beers with other beers, I get next to no hangover at all.

It's that German beers don't use chemicals and other various poisons and preservatives in their ingredients.

There are some hangover cures that really work, and some people like yourself who get very mild hangovers or none at all even after getting wasted.

But a hangover is one of the worst motivations to quit drinking, even though it seems like a no brainer when actually suffering a hangover. Simply because, you will forget it. The human brain is wired to remember pleasure and forget pain. You will remember the good times but not the hangover, so after it fades you will eventually drink again.

If a guy like you who doesn't suffer severe hangovers finds it within you to stay clean for a while, you have a much better chance at making the most of sobriety and a longer clean run- because your motivation doesn't stem from temporary suffering.

• Like 1