Life is cheap in Thailand (someone said).

Wopanese

I am a teacher. A few days ago one of my students was in a scooter accident with his father. Neither one of them was wearing a helmet. The student received a few stitches on his chin, and the father shattered some teeth. I recounted this story to a neighbor, and he replied: "Life certainly is cheap here in Thailand, isn't it?" I thought about that remark, and I personally don't agree. Thais love and value the lives of their friends and family as much as anywhere else, no doubt about it. I really don't know why Thais don't helmet their kids on scooters. I've never asked. Is it a matter of cost? Is it the herd mentality (that is, most of the other people don't seem to have a need to do it so why should I)? Or do they find it too cumbersome to have to fiddle with three or four helmets while running errands? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You have to remember that it hasn't been law for that long that people have to wear helmets. Besides, if the two people in the accident weren't wearing full facial helmets, then it wouldn't have stopped them receiving the injuries they did.

Not so sure about the OP title either, Life is cheap in Thailand. Maybe it is just me, but i always reckoned that if you took out a contract on someone it would be cheaper here than in "1st world countries".

• Like 1

How much is it these days for a hitman?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would like to know as well.

Your questions will be answered soon, as most of the tv members are well connected in that circuit.

Of course

How much is it these days for a hitman?

I would like to know as well.

Your questions will be answered soon, as most of the tv members are well connected in that circuit.

I hope your missing remote controls dont get implicated in any hits ☺

Now you remind me, I'm also interested to know the price

• Like 2

Jessee i hope i didnt upset you

Lets wait first what the price is before I answer that question.

<deleted> i knew it.

Life can not be too cherished when parents give motorbikes to 10 year olds to ride

Mine are banned from having motorbikes, know why and surprisingly agree.

Over the past ten years I've noticed a push away from "life is cheap, never mind" to one of personal safety and responsibility.

Shamefully, where my Thai neighbours will wear helmets even for short journeys round the corner it is me who doesn't bother.

You have to remember that it hasn't been law for that long that people have to wear helmets. Besides, if the two people in the accident weren't wearing full facial helmets, then it wouldn't have stopped them receiving the injuries they did.

Not so sure about the OP title either, Life is cheap in Thailand. Maybe it is just me, but i always reckoned that if you took out a contract on someone it would be cheaper here than in "1st world countries".

5000bht and up according to a local Policeman.

• Like 1

<deleted> i knew it.

Looks from the post above that you're safe, no way I'm gonna spend 5K to get rid of a toad.

• Like 1

Life can not be too cherished when parents give motorbikes to 10 year olds to ride

Over the past ten years I've noticed a push away from "life is cheap, never mind" to one of personal safety and responsibility.

Shamefully, where my Thai neighbours will wear helmets even for short journeys round the corner it is me who doesn't bother.

Oh well.

post-187908-0-98940300-1405090628_thumb.

Oh well.

I don't think you can get an Angel's patch if you ride a Honda Click.

• Like 1

Oh well.

I don't think you can get an Angel's patch if you ride a Honda Click.

Aw shucks

post-187908-0-12714600-1405091226_thumb.

• Like 1

Plenty of Thais in Pattaya wearing helmets now - I think its as much about the cops revenue raising as any genuine concern for their safety although I do notice that many of the younger women ride far more sensibly than their male counterparts.

Is it a matter of cost?

Nothing to do with cost. I mean they can afford 30k for a bike, they could afford a few hundred for the helmet if they wanted.

They don't wear them because they think they don't look good and can't be bothered. They believe in fate and think they don't need to wear one. The police don't enforce the regulation so most people don't bother to wear one. Most people would rather pay the occasional fine for not wearing a helmet than wear one all the time. I've even seen people who will put on their helmet when in town, where there might be a police checkpoint, and as soon as they leave town they immediately take it off. It's collective insanity

• Like 1

<deleted> i knew it.

Looks from the post above that you're safe, no way I'm gonna spend 5K to get rid of a toad.

cheesy.gif