Extension after using 15 months from visa?

Hi, just a wee question. Can I apply for 12-month extension after my 15-month stay based on the multi-entry non-imm O visa?

Just want to double check that as borders now seem to be getting tougher blink.pngsad.pngblink.png

Edited by nabbie

Be careful. You can stay for fifteen months on a non O visa but the last three are obtained by getting an entry stamp just before the visa expires, meaning during months twelve to fifteen you've actually got no valid non O visa to apply for an extension on.

To get an extension (based on marriage or retirement) it's your non O visa that must be valid, not you're entry stamp.

So you must apply for an extension before the 'enter before' date on your non O visa.

Edited by sumrit

Be careful. You can stay for fifteen months on a non O visa but the last three are obtained by getting an entry stamp just before the visa expires, meaning during months twelve to fifteen you've actually got no valid non O visa to apply for an extension on.

To get an extension (based on marriage or retirement) it's your non O visa that must be valid, not you're entry stamp.

So you must apply for an extension before the 'enter before' date on your non O visa.

This is incorrect. I am sure Ubinjoe will be around soon to confirm.

You only need to have entered on a non-immigrant visa to apply for extension; you are not extending the visa but in fact extending your permission to stay date.

There are many posts confirming this.

Edited by ParadiseLost

The extension of stay must not necessarily be applied for prior to the "enter before" date stated on the visa. You can apply any time during the last 30 days of the 90-day permission to stay received on any entry made with the visa.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"To get an extension (based on marriage or retirement) it's your non O visa that must be valid, not you're entry stamp."

Sumrit, this is not true, as already mentioned, but if it were, how would a person getting a single entry visa extend it?

"Can I apply for 12-month extension after my 15-month stay based on the multi-entry non-imm O visa?"

Yes you can. Your visa can be expired. The important factor is that the entry you are here on at the time you apply for the extension was granted based on NON-IMM "O". It sounds like yours will be.

You also have the option of applying for a 60 day extension if you can't yet meet the requirements for the 12 month extension. In that case you would carry over your NON-IMM "O" status for an additional 60 days. Then within this 60 day extension you can apply for your 12 month extension. Essentially you can buy yourself 60 days for 1900 baht and use the time to get your paperwork prepared for the 12 month extension.

UJ will correct me if I'm wrong, however the above is exactly how it worked for me recently.

Edited by 96tehtarp

Exactly, that is my question...but how can you prove this is really true?

This is incorrect. I am sure Ubinjoe will be around soon to confirm.

You only need to have entered on a non-immigrant visa to apply for extension; you are not extending the visa but in fact extending your permission to stay date.

There are many posts confirming this.

You are probably correct but I want to be absolutely sure about that. Therefore I am hoping Ubinjoe will second you too. thumbsup.gif

You are extending your permit to stay not a visa so the visa validity does not matter.

You can extend any of the 90 day permit to stays that the visa allows.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank account in your name only for 60 days or proof of 40k baht income.

Apologies if I'm wrong, but that's the way it was explained to me by Si Racha Immigration office last year.

It was either an immigration officer that did not know what they were talking about or a misunderstanding.

You are extending your permit to stay not a visa so the visa validity does not matter.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank account in your name only for 60 days or proof of 40k baht income.

Does that mean the 12-month extension after 15 month stay from Multi Entry Non-Imm O visa (marriage) is possible?

Does that mean the 12-month extension after 15 month stay from Multi Entry Non-Imm O visa (marriage) is possible?

Your visa entries in no way affect your ability to get a one year extension of stay.

You have not stayed in the country for 15 months you have only been staying in the country for a maximum of 90 days at a time unless you got a 60 day extension for an entry..

Yes. I did. Did the marriage extension on month 14.

Apologies if I'm wrong, but that's the way it was explained to me by Si Racha Immigration office last year.

It was either an immigration officer that did not know what they were talking about or a misunderstanding.

I went to Si Racha Immigration and asked specifically about this when I realized I'd have to go back to the UK again for a few weeks. I had about two months left on my entry stamp with my non O visa expiring about two weeks after that. If I returned before my visa expired it would only be by a few days, and a big rush to do the extension, but the entry stamp would give me another ninety days (ie: plenty of time).

I was told I must apply for my extension before the 'enter before' date on the visa.

This is the second time this Immigration office has given me the wrong information.

Your visa entries in no way affect your ability to get a one year extension of stay.

You have not stayed in the country for 15 months you have only been staying in the country for a maximum of 90 days at a time unless you got a 60 day extension for an entry..

Your explanation has certainly reinforced my understanding on this issue and more importantly it is good I have an ability to obtain a 1-year extension of stay based on my visa. Thank you wai.gif

Yes. I did. Did the marriage extension on month 14.

Ah, that is good to hear. I guess best to have a go. wai.gif

I remember my last non-B multi had a condition "no extension". I was a bit confused because my first non-B multi entry didn't specify that, but I now understand that to mean that while the visa won't be extended, the entry stamp can be. However, to qualify for that the same qualifications as for a 90 day non-B are required and you should end up with a 1-year extension starting from the end of the 90-day period you are on, hence you could get up to 15 months before that stamp expires. The visa itself however can't be extended as such but since you don't have to leave the country if you don't want to (after you get the 1-year extension) it's actually a better deal, unless you do a lot of travel in which case a multi re-entry permit can be applied for.