High-endian Notebook Laptop PC

Phil Conners

I'm in the market for a high-endian Notebook/Laptop. Not too concerned with brand names as long as they don't include a fruit.

Problem is I don't really find anything I fancy in Pattaya, but maybe I'm not looking the right places.

- CPU: something like Core i7-4600M (~5000 passmarks) or better.

- Screen: Don't need touch screen, ~15" 13xxx7xx is fine, but preferably both HDMI and VGA connectors for external displays

- Disk: SDD, 250G or better

- CD/DVD/BR: Don't need.

- RAM: 16G, at least upgradable without having to throw things away (i.e. would probably have to have at least 8G standard plus a free memory slot)

- USB 2 + 3 ports, more is better

- Gigabit Ethernet port

- Wifi: 802.11n, preferably 802.11ac

- Price: I would think around 25,000 ought to cover something like this

- Availability: Thailand, preferably Pattaya, though not necessarily with Thai keyboard.

Any suggestions? What would you buy, and why?

Could it be it has been a while since you have been shopping notebooks last?

Take for example this notebook @ 18,590 in IT City, Tukcom. With a better CPU, an SSD drive and more memory it would fit my requirement.

The price difference between an i5-4200U and an i7-4600M is about 3000 baht.

The price difference between a 500 GB HD and a 250 G SSD is about 3600 baht.

The price difference between 4 and 8 GB ram around 1400 baht.

Total around 8,000 baht, add the cost of the laptop makes 26,590, so technically possible. The problem this is about as high-endian as I've been able to find here.

post-1539-0-90889500-1405161822_thumb.jp

I know Thomas well and his service and product list is very strong. I was able to find a Lenovo Z410 with an Core i7-4702MQ that way surpassed my CPU requirement, for 23,990. Unfortunately it has the usual problem of only 4GB RAM, which would need to be thrown away to be able to upgrade to 16G, and a 1 TB SATA disk that also had to be thrown away to upgrade to an SSD drive. The trick is to find one that has these components out of the box.

Of course one could just go sit in a corner and whine "it can't be done", but that wasn't how humanity managed to land on the moon. ;)

Alienware looks cool, but are actually not particularly high-endian. They have heavy graphics cards, which isn't something I particularly need - I'm not going to use it for gaming.

As for defining what is low-endian, normal and high-endian laptops, well of course these can be subjective labels, but when I say high-endian I mean relative to Thailand. If you disagree with that, fine, but it's really off topic. So is comments about how something is not possible and can't be found. Of course it can, I already listed something that was quite close and that I may end up buying, but I'm not in a hurry and will keep looking until I find the best deal. So, looking forward to more constructive ideas and suggestions, and will henceforth ignore the nay-sayers.

I got a HP Pavilion the other day with original win8 installed but only 8gb of ram as that is all I needed for the app I am running

Intel core i7-4500 64bit 2400 ghz 700gb drive DVD onboard, ethernet onboard plus the other things you asked about

At IT City in BKK 32,000

I've got the HP Envy 'ultabook'. It's i7 8GB 1TB hybrid drive, Bt36K on 10 months 0%. The big trouble you're going to get is trying to find laptops with SSDs as retail, they tend to stick with spinning rust to keep price down, or at least they did a year ago when I got mine.

For the record, it's still too big and heavy to carry around all the time and the hybrid drive slows everything down.

i bought a highend MSI machine approx 70,000 thb.. (thai /english keyboard)

used it for about 2 weeks.. its got raid 0 which doesnt really suit my needs + got 2 other newer ones after this ..

paid 70,000 thb

used 2 weeks..

dont know ? make offers ?

willing to part with it for a reasonable amount.

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT683.html#hero-overview

upgraded memory 12 gb expandable to 16

I'm based in Hong Kong but go to MBK and Pattaya and also Singapore and KL a lot so I definitely know what I'm talking about...you won't get anything like those specs for 25k ....you're about 8k short at best.

Like another poster said, please let us know if you do get one at that price and I will go buy one too!

• Like 1

I'm based in Hong Kong but go to MBK and Pattaya and also Singapore and KL a lot so I definitely know what I'm talking about...you won't get anything like those specs for 25k ....you're about 8k short at best.

Like another poster said, please let us know if you do get one at that price and I will go buy one too!

Also there's no point getting an i7 processor unless it's the latest Intel Haswell processor.....unless you're going to always leave the laptop plugged in.