Advice for post-August 12 arrival at the airport

Dear All, I've been a long term tourist for ages, living in Bangkok for about 9-10 months/year on tourist visas. I guess I never had any problems only because every year I return to my home country in EU and get a 2 entries visa, then I get another 1 or 2 similar visas in Laos or Singapore and the problem of staying in Thailand for almost a year is solved. I suppose a tourist is someone who goes back home at least once a year for a while, rather than somebody collecting visas from SE Asian Thai embassies. But this may change after Aug 12.

Thsi summer, I'm able to obtain a 3 entries Tourist visa from a Thai consulate near my hometown. In September I'll arrive at Suvannapoum with it. I'd like to hear your opinion about the following:

1. is it better to get a 2 entries visa, rather than 3, as 3 entries seem quite rare and might be scrutinized/questioned/deemed fake by the immigration officer, who can surely see all my visa history by swiping the passport?

2. I won't have a flight back to my home country, which is required to get a visa. In 20 years nobody at airport immigration has ever asked me to show such ticket, probably because if you have a visa you already should have shown the two-ways ticket at the consulate. This time they may ask for it. Would a real airasia flight to say Phnom Penh or KL (bought online in advance) be considered as a flight out of Thailand? Or does it have to be a return ticket?

3. Can they refuse entry at the airport to a proper visa holder, or reduce the visa length at their discretion?

Now it seems it's getting personal: the immigration officer vs the hunted. Failure and success lie in the ability to persuade him/her that you are not working in Thailand and that you have money to stay for the length of the visa, so additional paperwork like bank statements, hotel bookings etc may help.

Looking forward to read your opinions.

Thank you for your attention.

1. triple entry is perfectly acceptable if you can get it. It is not even that rare, just that only some countries issue it.

2. any flight out of country is OK. You can buy a fully refundable ticket and have it cancelled when convenient to you.

3. yes they can, in practice they will not unless they have a very good reason to think you are working illegally in Thailand. So bring additional paperwork if that puts you at peace of mind.

I suppose a tourist is someone who leaves their home for a holiday and then goes home again. 9-10 months every year is stretching the definition I think.

actually...you might be right according to how immigration seems to view it these days. the general rule I've seen a lot this last year, is 'if you have a passport full of visas'. the OP is lucky to be an EU citizen, in my view. when I've tried to TR's in EU (as an American) I'm told lately I must prove permanent residence in whatever country I've tried - that was a change over the last year, also.

Edited by John1thru10

Query on this topic.

Australian pensioner if I stay in Thailand over 26 week I think I have to pay tax on all money I bring into the country. I would assume this is the same for other visas or does a visa run reset the count if not then staying over 26 week would put you in a tax bracket.

In practice you do not pay taxes.

Officially you need to pay taxes, if you bring in the money in the year it was earned. But there are also tax treaties with many countries to prevent someone paying double tax.

Thank you could make the difference between staying for a year or 6 month.