Concern over free flow of labour after AEC starts

Lite Beer

Concern over free flow of labour after AEC starts
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE Asean Economic Community (AEC) plan for a free flow of labour in eight professions may face problems, including |different regulations to allow skilled workers in each member country and different languages and culture, a Chulalongkorn University study revealed yesterday.

More-developed countries would benefit from the free flow most, the research said. The Thai service sector would be most affected by labour shortages, followed by agriculture and industry, it said.

While Thailand's doctors, dentists, nurses, engineers, plus those in the tourism and hospitality sector, are seen as being well placed, Thai accountants have some structural issues and lacking in their usage of modern technology, according to the study conducted by Faculty of Economics lecturers Danupon Ariyasajjakorn and Somprawin Manprasert. Two other professions were surveyors and architects.

The study, about the impacts from the flow of skilled labour after the AEC starts, at the end of next year, was funded by the Thailand Research Fund (TRF).

Positive impacts from the AEC included business operators having more opportunities to select good quality workers and to move their production bases, as well as cooperation in labour and human resource development, plus related academic |projects among Asean countries, Danupon said.

Negative impacts included business operators' fear of a "brain drain" - a loss of good quality skilled workers to other Asean countries that pay higher wages, he said.

The researchers suggested that the government to support workers' skill development in all fields, plus issuing regulations for professional standards, and promoting Thailand as an educational hub for doctors, dentists and nurses, as well as tourism and hospitality.

They also urged the government to promote foreign language skills and the usage of technology for Thai workers, while |setting up clear policies and regulations for migrant workers, especially unskilled migrants.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Concern-over-free-flow-of-labour-after-AEC-starts-30238365.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-13

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So are the Philippines, Indonesia etc gonna hire Thais? I think the traffic will be all one way, ending with a lot of Thais outa work

You said it , especially if they work for less. Just look at the maids in HK ,on a Sunday when they all gather in public places, looks like little Manila.

What year is this? And when was this study completed?

Once again, it shows how totally and utterly unprepared Thailand is for what is coming. Sad.

"Mai penrai" Thats why

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Negative impacts included business operators' fear of a "brain drain" - a loss of good quality skilled workers to other Asean countries that pay higher wages, he said.

The brain drain in Thailand started years ago, 8 a.m. Mon-Fri.

• Like 1

What year is this? And when was this study completed?

Once again, it shows how totally and utterly unprepared Thailand is for what is coming. Sad.

I sincerely suspect not 1 country is prepared for the AEC commitments and opportunities.

Thus wouldnt be surprised at all if another year delay would be implemented

If not it will take at least 2 years to adapt to the rising situation.

One of the reasons is the lack of leadership at this time in ASEAN community

The Vietnamese SG is low profile low key figure where Khun Surin (The Thai SG) was praised by all for his exceptional leadership and public profile.

Its the word market that is making its way through the investors ranks...NOT theAEC as a Community!

Thailand will deal with foreign skilled worker competition the way it always has, protectionism. For instance, it has barred foreigners from practicing law by requiring lawyers to be Thai nationals. It will do the same with doctors, accountants and any other trade or profession where they can impose a certification requirement.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Thailand will deal with foreign skilled worker competition the way it always has, protectionism. For instance, it has barred foreigners from practicing law by requiring lawyers to be Thai nationals. It will do the same with doctors, accountants and any other trade or profession where they can impose a certification requirement.

No they won't.

It will all be an ASEAN common agreement, and when you sign up, you sign up for the lot or nothing at all.

Thailand can't sign and then cherry pick what it is going to allow and not allow.

Yes, it can cherry-pick. For instance, a foreign accountant must meet all Thai national accounting certification requirements, including prior experience as an accountant within Thailand. You need to study up on the law dude.

Read condition #2: "The field of professions that will open opportunity to work freely such as medical services, dental services, nursing services, engineering services, architectural services, accountancy services, surveying qualification and tourism. However, we need to pass 2 conditions if we want to work in ASEAN countries: 1) we must have the qualification according to Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) and 2) we must follow the rule of country where we will enter to work and it is sure that each country may have the different conditions." http://www.aecnews.net/index.php/en/special-report-2/3806-free-mobility-of-professions-in-asean-community-opportunity-of-entering-to-asean

• Like 2

They will find a way to stop a mass invasion by foreign workers, competition is not one of the Thais strongest points.

Except when it comes to construction work (hard/dirty) and domestic work (hard/dirty).

I really think that the Thai govt ,nor the Thai people (most havn't a clue about it anyway) realize what is going to happen ,loads of low paid workers are going to flood into the country taking the Thais jobs ,they will be prepared to work hard and send most of their money home to their famillies ,who will later follow them and then there will be in influx of lazy sods that just want to claim a house and the social ,oh sorry i started thinking of the UK and us being in the in the E.U , just forget those coming in to claim benifits, just concentrate on the ones coming to work for less.sad.png

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Thailand has had the migrant labour scheme for yonks. The place hasn't fallen to bits.

Congrats also, 12 posts after the OP and you've managed to turn it into a foreigner in the UK bash. How appallingly predictable.

post-441-0-20789900-1405228934_thumb.jpg

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

All this talk of making trillions from tourism, how about getting their own people to do some work instead of allowing migrant workers to send home trillions every year.

Migrant workers in developed nations I can understand but here?

• Like 2

Utter nonsense of an article. What kurnell posted I reckon is bang on.

It going to be disastrous and quite sad witnessing how badly Thailand deals with competition.

Thailand doesn't understand competition. Only monopoly, cronyism and nepotism.

And now they are going to face the realty of it all and somehow will correct itself in the future.

well I remain skeptical about free labour flow in those 8 professions:

1) Thailand is a hub in Asia for medical services. Doctorsand hospitals are well known for good quality at reaonable prices. So many ppeople from all over Asia and the middle east come to Thailand for operations and other medical treatment. So what happens if a Thai doctor can go work in Singapore for a multiple of his salary in Thailand. He is likely to move to Sgp for sure. Same for nurses as well. I worry that Thailand will see an increaae in cost as a result of this in the medical sector.

2) Are we sure countries like Singapore who are becoming very restrictive on foreign labour employment will really allow any foreign in these 8 professions to go work there? I doubt they will allow that. They have become extremely protective of their labour market and I cannot imagine that they will allow free labour flow into Singapore in those 8 professions.

"The researchers suggested that the government to support workers' skill development in all fields, plus issuing regulations for professional standards, and promoting Thailand as an educational hub for doctors, dentists and nurses, as well as tourism and hospitality."

About 5 years ago, I was attempting to set up a heath tourism center in Thailand. I have a Dr. friend who is one of the top renoun plastic surgery people in the world and has trained 100s of other doctors around the world. After many attempts to contact the medical society of Thailand, who refused my calls and correspondence several times, I finally received a letter with their reply "Glad to welcome your doctor friend to Thailand. However, he will need to take a medical qualifications exam (in spite of 30 years of global experience) and (by the way) this exam is written in Thai." This, in effect was a push off since my friend would have to learn to read and write in Thai to complete such exam. I don't know if the AEC rules will change such roadblocks, or not.

One attorney I know in Bangkok is also not a legit lawyer and cannot practice in a court of law and must be assisted by a Thai attorney for any litigation or other appearances, in spite of his reading and writing in Thai.

The hospitality industry will look to the Philippines for some of their staff since they speak English very well.

I hope it does cause a Thailand "brain drain" since this will allow those who migrate for work to increase their working skills including English, and they will probably come back at some point since they cannot stand not having Thai food and being with their families for very long.

With a little luck the ruling junta regime will just do away with such nonsense. An influx of low wage workers will cause an uprising of people the likes of which has not been seen - even in recent times... It will take a year for the impact to set it - but even moderate wage Thais will be losing jobs by the tens of thousands after a year or so. I for one - hope that the junta stays in power for 3-4 years and guts all such craziness... and throws it out the window ... all of it ... and let Thais get on with business... Any Thai who promotes this silliness is masochistic or suicidal.