Reincarnation - have you changed your mind?

Neeranam

Being here has not changed my mind on reincarnation but I do find it rather petty that folk risk or give over their current life on a gamble that there could be another, better one. It's akin to the nutty Muslims and their virgins in heaven. One should probably enjoy what they have now the best they can just in case there is nothing else.

Personal belief: something funny is going on behind the scenes way above our comprehension. Brain/matter isn't part of the equation and neither is what you do in this life. But if there is a sliver of a chance of returning to this vs nothing, I choose the latter thanks. It's not all a bed of roses for everyone.

Here're some of the virgins willing to wait for the holy warriors. All virgins and not younger than 69.

post-158336-0-86787900-1405324395_thumb.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Religion is child abuse pure an simple and that includes the Thai Buddhist system, its a disgrace.

Please, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. smile.png

My wife has two kids, they are Buddhist, and I would hate to think they were ever abused.

Put me down for no reincarnation

no gods

no devils

no spirits

no ghosts

no heaven

no hell

no angels

no witches

no magic

no tooth fairy

no santa claus

no horses with wings

no coming back from the dead

but in saying that the most proof I've seen for any of the above was finding 20 cents under my pillow a few times in place of a lost tooth

I do believe in stupid, gullible people though

• Like 2

i changed to islam some years ago and promised all these virgins what can i do with them at old age? also what about all irate wives there to? cheers

There's been a misprint in that book. The correct "reward" is seventy two Virginians -- foul-smelling toothless hillbillies, each and every one of them.

T

i changed to islam some years ago and promised all these virgins what can i do with them at old age? also what about all irate wives there to? cheers

There's been a misprint in that book. The correct "reward" is seventy two Virginians -- foul-smelling toothless hillbillies, each and every one of them.

T

MV5BMTI5NDY5NjU3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzQ0 Sandra Bullock

MV5BNDY2NjYxMDY0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDc3 Rob Lowe

MV5BMTkyMTMyNTQxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjEw Donna Dixon

MV5BODQ1NjY3ODcxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQ2 Warren Beatty

Folks from Virginia.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Living in Thailand didn't change my beliefs about reincarnation, but i think there must be something in it, which of course i can't fully understand, or believe.

My question is, can the consciousness exist after the end of the physical body ?

I think possibly yes, but just in very few cases..

To ask a common guy to explain the possibility of the transmigration of the souls, is , more or less , like to expect a dog to explain the mechanics of a Jumbo Jet.. Most likely the dog will just bark..wai.gif

• Like 1

no gods

no devils

no spirits

no ghosts

no heaven

no hell

no angels

no witches

no magic

no tooth fairy

no santa claus

no horses with wings

but in saying that the most proof I've seen for any of the above was finding 20 cents under my pillow a few times in place of a lost tooth

Hahahahahahah! You sound like the kind of guy who believes in the tooth fairy!

Living in Thailand didn't change my beliefs about reincarnation, but i think there must be something in it, which of course i can't fully understand, or believe.

My question is, can the consciousness exist after the end of the physical body ?

To ask a common guy to explain the possibility of the transmigration of the souls, is , more or less , like to expect a dog to explain the mechanics of a Jumbo Jet.. Most likely the dog will just bark..wai.gif

Does consciousness exist in people who believe in make believe things? I guess on a certain level. Depends really on the amount of education of the average Thai. Not including engineers of course. wai2.gif

I believe in reincarnation. I do not have any personal experience with reincarnation, nor do I profess to know how it works. I believe that it is probably more complicated than I can comprehend. I remember reading Rene Descartes proof for the existence of God, and remember a quote by a Pope (I don't remember who) who likened that the universe being created without a God was analogous to spilling sand and it forming a masterpiece (something to that effect at least). It made sense to me, so I do believe in "something beyond".

From reading alot of posts, I have the distinct impression that most people on TV are either atheists or agnostic and I certainly don't think it is right to tell anyone that there beliefs are wrong.

I also believe that alot of things that Thai people do that Westerners are puzzled at, are based on the belief in reincarnation. As a people and compared to people in the West, Thais are extremely religious in terms of the percentage of people that believe. It's not hard to find an atheist/agnostic in the West, much harder to find a Thai atheist. So when I see posts about how life is cheap in Thailand, or why don't Thais wear helmets, or why are Thais so careless in doing such and such when it could cause death, my thoughts are well it's because virtually all Thais believe in reincarnation and believe that some things like your death are predestined, and (if you made merit in this life) your next life will be better so why ake a big deal about it.

If what you say abot making merit is true, why is there so little, compassion and courtesy in Thailand while corruption thrives. I don't see much merit earned so I guess there won't be many thais coming back.

• Like 1

T

Folks from Virginia.

No need to be touchy. If the promise were "72 Lap Dancers" I would've said that's a misprint of "72 Laplanders--foul smelling toothless whale eaters, each and every one of them."

Good grief, I hope there are no Laplanders on this forum.

T

• Like 1

For my part I have no idea of whether reincarnation is real or not. But I hope it is not real because the way this world is going I would not want to be here. Living under sharia does not appeal to me one bit.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

no gods

no devils

no spirits

no ghosts

no heaven

no hell

no angels

no witches

no magic

no tooth fairy

no santa claus

no horses with wings

We as I posted, i have seen more proof of tooth fairy than of any god or reincarnation. But no, maybe you don't get the humour......it's all superstitious crap.

I agree after some of the replies.

Read up on the laws of thermodynamics.

I believe in reincarnation. I do not have any personal experience with reincarnation, nor do I profess to know how it works. I believe that it is probably more complicated than I can comprehend. I remember reading Rene Descartes proof for the existence of God, and remember a quote by a Pope (I don't remember who) who likened that the universe being created without a God was analogous to spilling sand and it forming a masterpiece (something to that effect at least). It made sense to me, so I do believe in "something beyond".

From reading alot of posts, I have the distinct impression that most people on TV are either atheists or agnostic and I certainly don't think it is right to tell anyone that there beliefs are wrong.

I also believe that alot of things that Thai people do that Westerners are puzzled at, are based on the belief in reincarnation. As a people and compared to people in the West, Thais are extremely religious in terms of the percentage of people that believe. It's not hard to find an atheist/agnostic in the West, much harder to find a Thai atheist. So when I see posts about how life is cheap in Thailand, or why don't Thais wear helmets, or why are Thais so careless in doing such and such when it could cause death, my thoughts are well it's because virtually all Thais believe in reincarnation and believe that some things like your death are predestined, and (if you made merit in this life) your next life will be better so why ake a big deal about it.

If what you say abot making merit is true, why is there so little, compassion and courtesy in Thailand while corruption thrives. I don't see much merit earned so I guess there won't be many thais coming back.

You know little about the Thainess in Thai people. Some of the most compassionate people I know.

no gods

no devils

no spirits

no ghosts

no heaven

no hell

no angels

no witches

no magic

no tooth fairy

no santa claus

no horses with wings

Are you trying to say that people believing in reincarnation, including me, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Jains, many Jews, Christians etc are stupid gullible people?

Are you saying that scientists such as Ian Stevenson are fools?

What scares you so much about it? Open your mind.

• Like 2

no gods

no devils

no spirits

no ghosts

no heaven

no hell

no angels

no witches

no magic

no tooth fairy

no santa claus

no horses with wings

We as I posted, i have seen more proof of tooth fairy than of any god or reincarnation. But no, maybe you don't get the humour......it's all superstitious crap.

Ummm, I got it, guv. Did you get mine?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

no gods

no devils

no spirits

no ghosts

no heaven

no hell

no angels

no witches

no magic

no tooth fairy

no santa claus

no horses with wings

Some think it relates to using this more than once:)

150818b.jpg

Personally, I embrace both science and spirituality (not religion). I used to be atheist until I had a profound experience. After that I just couldn't deny that there was something more. So I started reading everything I could put my hands on, trying to make sense out of what happened. I found that others had had the same or similar experiences.

My 'believe' is rooted in first hand experience and mixed with knowledge from many very special people who have walked the path before me and I feel I can trust them.

This is no different from what atheists do, by the way. Their believe also is a mix of their own unique experiences and data they take from reliable sources, which they assume to be true.

I have no problems with people who deny the existence of something beyond our 5 senses, as long as they don't try shove it down my throat. Sadly, many do.

Regarding reincarnation, I have no doubt I've been here many times before.Thailand didn't change that.

I don't identify with my believes. If there would come along a better explanation (even a scientific one), I would gladly accept it.

Many people are afraid of dying and they do anything possible not to think about it. I think this is the time to learn as much as we can about death. Once you lose the fear of death, you become free to live.

• Like 2

Karl Marx was spot on when he described religion as Opium for the masses. I used to believe that belief in reincarnation was harmless but my views have changed over time. There is little doubt that in Thailand both social mobility and social responsibility have been seriously hindered by current interpretation of Budhism.

• Like 1

Are you trying to say that people believing in reincarnation, including me, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Jains, many Jews, Christians etc are stupid gullible people?

Are you saying that scientists such as Ian Stevenson are fools?

What scares you so much about it? Open your mind.

Reaction to his work was mixed. In his New York Times obituary, Margalit Fox wrote that Stevenson's supporters saw him as a misunderstood genius, but that most scientists had simply ignored his research, regarding him as earnest but gullible.

• Like 1

These 2 old time friends--who had a belief in the after life, made an agreement, that whoever went first, would try to come back & contact the other, in the park on Wednesday at 11, am exactly.
A short while latter one dies peacefully in his sleep. Every week for several months, the other took up his station at the park bench at 11:00 a.m.
Then one Wednesday, at the appointed hour, he hears a voice, as though from afar.
"Harry, Harry, can you hear me?" the voice says. "It's Joe."
"Joe, for heaven's sake, what is it like?"
"You wouldn't believe it, Harry, about the only thing you do up here is make love. They wake you up at seven in the morning and you make love until noon. After lunch and a nap, you're at it again right through until dinner time."

"Good gosh, Joe, is that what Heaven is like..?..................................................No Harry , I am not in Heaven---------I'm a rabbit in Australia"......................................coffee1.gif

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

T

Folks from Virginia.

Thanks for standing up for Virginia.

My great-grandfather was one of Mosby's Rangers. He wasn't toothless, but he did live with a Yankee bullet in his back until the day he died at the age of seventy-three in 1912.

Maybe I'm his reincarnation... a born rebel.