How much do you pay in monthy costs for an empty condo?

Since I'm not always in Thailand I'm wondering what you guys normally pay in monthly cost when the condo is empty?

I guess you need to keep paying for the Cable and Internet? Or do you reconnect these when you come into town?

Then there's maintenance fee, power and water bills keep coming in but guessing these are close to zero?

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks.

Power and water will be close to zero if the unit is unused. All other bills will continue, unless you take the trouble to have cable or broadband disconnected and later reconnected which may cost you more in fees anyway and may not even be possible.

The common fee will be due regardless of occupancy, and generally this will be somewhere between about 5000B-50,000B/year. Very big units or units in very luxurious buildings may be more.

My condo has free cable and the internet can be purchased by the day or month. Usually I use my phone as a hotspot and get unlimited internet through AIS. I turn the water off and trip the breakers to the A/C and water heater. The cost to run the refrigerator is next to nothing, keeps my beer cold for when I return.

• Like 1

We pay about 15,000 Baht a year for insurance, and you can't suspend the policy when you are away. Not to mention insurance for our car and motorbike, as well as yearly registration fees.

Edited by gjoo888

My condo has free cable and the internet can be purchased by the day or month. Usually I use my phone as a hotspot and get unlimited internet through AIS. I turn the water off and trip the breakers to the A/C and water heater. The cost to run the refrigerator is next to nothing, keeps my beer cold for when I return.

Your bldg must be pretty cool, I turned off my AirCon, came back a month later and had to throw out most of my clothes - mold had set in because it was so hot & humid in there..........the bldg manager ordered new curtains and tried to make me pay for them as well, I paid half since it was my fault. Don't turn off your aircon, just turn it down to about 25.......and suck it up.thumbsup.gif

I was away for 1 year and 3 months and my Electric meter was taken away by the Electricity Board as apparently there is a standard 40 baht charge per month that I was not aware of. So I TT some money to the Building manager to have refitted.and pay monthly until I returned.Other fixed costs are the usual usual suspects like Annual service and Management fees and Company accounts (as Condo in Thai Company name). I leave the Internet on a Direct Debit (even though there is free WiFi available - but poor quality). No Insurance No Cars or Motorbikes.

I have my aircon set to 28 degrees all the time because that's what I find to be the most comfortable setting. I was away for a week recently during which time everything was turned off, and there was no sign of mould or even any sense of humidity when I returned. I do leave my wardrobe doors open when away though.

Perhaps those large plastic seal-able boxes popular with Thais would be suitable for clothes in a condo that is subject to humidity? Or maybe they just need a better wash before being put away?

I purchased and now live in my second condo which is a bit larger. The first condo which remains vacant is about 62 sqm has internet and cable TV included in my yearly maintenance fee so there are no extra charges per month. I pay 25 baht per month for water and less than 100 baht for the electric. The refrigerator remains turned on. The yearly maintenance fee is 30 baht per sqm.

Truevisions allows people to suspend cable service for a few months, just paying nominal charge for box which stays there. I called up and gave my departure and arrival dates....am gone for 2 months...it was easily handled

• Like 1

Your bldg must be pretty cool, I turned off my AirCon, came back a month later and had to throw out most of my clothes - mold had set in because it was so hot & humid in there..........the bldg manager ordered new curtains and tried to make me pay for them as well, I paid half since it was my fault. Don't turn off your aircon, just turn it down to about 25.......and suck it up.thumbsup.gif

thanks for the tip. So how much are you paying monthly to run it at minimum like that?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Your bldg must be pretty cool, I turned off my AirCon, came back a month later and had to throw out most of my clothes - mold had set in because it was so hot & humid in there..........the bldg manager ordered new curtains and tried to make me pay for them as well, I paid half since it was my fault. Don't turn off your aircon, just turn it down to about 25.......and suck it up. alt=thumbsup.gif>

I've been living there for about a year and a half, no mold yet that I'm aware of. The clothes are mostly hung up in a wardrobe and no mold there either. I've read about the mold issues but have never experienced any. I'm on the 6th floor, maybe that makes a difference, don't know.

how much is the cable/internet bill per month?

and how do you guys arrange payment for these bills when you're out of the

E-banking would be the answer. Through internet you can pay anything

The condo office where I'm at will pay the electricity and water for you as long as you're on time and not behind. I usually keep several thousand baht in my account before I leave so there's little chance my stuff will get turned off due to non-payment.

I live in Lad Phrao. The monthly fees are 500 THB for maintenance, paid to the condo association. The other expenses (e.g., minimal electricity, TV & internet) run about 1,000 THB per month. My place is a studio, 34 sqm. I would guess that a condo with more rooms and amenities would have greater associated fees and expenses.