Does It Make Sense To Buy A House Here

bowerboy

what part of "there is a difference" in maintenance cost depending on the home is it you don't understand?

is there no difference whether a home is 2, 5, 10, or 20 years old?

is there no difference between a home that is fitted with a bunch of technical gadgets and a bread-and-butter house?

if a landlord (according to the OP) rents out a home for 420k p.a. will the assumed maintenance be 150k, i.e. ~36% of the rent?

does it require rocket science or just some basic arithmetic and logical thinking to conclude that the OP has no idea?

you Sir have nothing to add to this discussion than an unwarranted and totally irrelevant personal attack plus a little yada yada yakety-yak without substance.

i suggest you go back to your dark corner and froth around your mouth thinking of my electricity bill.

Yeah yeah nice try. The guy was talking about a 6 million bath house, there isn't an infinite range of different properties available at this price in the useful expats areas. Even if it varies, that's what estimations are for.

That's hilarious, the guy whose favorite pastime is to log in ThaiVisa to bash other posts without almost ever adding any useful information to a topic, is now whining about getting personal attacks. Boo hoo.

Wasn't that the only aim when you take some of your precious time to scan this famous bill, post it on every vaguely related topic and endlessly list your personal wealth? I can't believe it is actually for pure schoolyard bragging.

OP, I like your way of thinking. You seem to have figured out most factors, except income on your capital while renting.

Some spiteful remarks, like these doubts only bother those who have no money to buy, - ignore them.

Most people here give valid, friendly and serious advice.

Problem is - you will still have to make your own decision.

On a personal note - it is a mixed bag. There are pro's and con's. I have bought mine. And believe me it is completely mine, despite some people here think otherwise.

Pro's: in 6 years value gone up from 7 to 11; 24/7/365 great ocean views, beach walks, swimming, sailing - priceless!.. most neighbours absent (in BKK).

Con's: in 6 years fees gone up almost 70%; total paid in fees 250,000; Body Corporate/Management lazy ignorant thieving bums; most neighbours monkeys.

Use your power of calculations to work this one out.

And whichever way you do it - it will always be a mixed bag. Cheers! biggrin.png

Edited by ABCer

Properties are good deal only if you can rent for at least 0.7% to 1% of the value to local renters, even if you will buy for your residence. In Thailand that is happening in some areas with foreclosures properties or building by your self. Condos usually get better rentals. Example : If the property value is 3 miilions, rental value needs to be 21,000 to 30,000/month. That doesn't happen in most Thai cities.

Rental values are very low in Thailand. What some foreigners pay for rentals here, do not appy for the calculation. Most are overcharged, and vacation properties are not always occupied.

Right now, the best place to invest in real estate is the US. Values went down, rents went up. In the US still 30 years bank mortgages, no borrowers's age limitations, even for foreigners. In most cases monthly rental values are equal to the mortage's fixed monthly payments.

Chinesse and Russians are taking the opportunity.

Brand new 3 bed. 2 bath 3 floor townhouse (shophouse) on ring road rents for 8000 baht. in sakon city

Why ask here apparently people who used be a chef cook or a video rental shop owner in their respective home country's now own company's in Thailand selling houses and condo's .

Let me ask you op where do such people get or have the necesary expierence concerning Thailands housing market who sell to farang simple they don't just a bunch of cowboys .

Every time such a topic is started here you will always have the pro renters vs pro buyers and i am sometimes under the impression that some people are logging in on different profile's stating i used such and such company and found them very good to buy my house or condo just to get your hard earned in their pocket.

Be carefull and use youre wits concerning buying property in Thailand it can be a mine field.

• Like 1

Every time such a topic is started here you will always have the pro renters vs pro buyers and i am sometimes under the impression that some people are logging in on different profile's stating i used such and such company and found them very good to buy my house or condo just to get your hard earned in their pocket.

Be carefull and use youre wits concerning buying property in Thailand it can be a mine field.

I'm a pro buyer for Thai nationals.

And a pro renter for foreigners.

Not much point in buying a property in a country you have no right to live.

Houses and land are best value for money, and foreigners aren't allowed to legally buy.

Condos are wildly over priced. Nobody (foreigner or Thai) should be buying condos in the current market.

• Like 1

Condos are wildly over priced. Nobody (foreigner or Thai) should be buying condos in the current market.

Do you think a new build, fully furnished condo built by a reputable name brand firm in Chiang Mai is overpriced at THB 40k per square metre, located inside the ring road in Muang?

Do you think a new build, fully furnished condo built by a reputable name brand firm in Chiang Mai is overpriced at THB 40k per square metre, located inside the ring road in Muang?

Somewhere between 5x and 10x overpriced (depending on location in ring road, and which ring-road).

I know a Thai lady that just purchased a 75m2 second-hand condo near the moat, last week, for 500k (about 8k m2)

She has the right to live here too!

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Somewhere between 5x and 10x overpriced (depending on location in ring road, and which ring-road).

I know a Thai lady that just purchased a 75m2 second-hand condo near the moat, last week, for 500k (about 8k m2)

She has the right to live here too!

You compare apples and light bulbs!

And indeed anyone can buy a similar unit to what you describe, being willing to live in it is a totally different story, for most westerners!

Inner ring road say, around 200 units with pool, security, fire detection, parking lift, gym etc, in the farang quota hence the buyer also has the right to live there!!

The problem i have is using the word reputable name firm because Thailand has very strickt libel and defemation laws so not allowed to name and shame and i find this off putting buying property in the west is very strickly regulated and for the right reasons luckely there are other website's telling horror story's about foreigners getting ripped of by certain cowboys when buying property in Thailand

And indeed anyone can buy a similar unit to what you describe, being willing to live in it is a totally different story, for most westerners!

Inner ring road say, around 200 units with pool, security, fire detection, parking lift, gym etc, in the farang quota hence the buyer also has the right to live there!!

Just outside the ring road, I paid 9k m2 for my new house build, and another 8k m2 for the land it sits on.

Just outside the ring road, I paid 9k m2 for my new house build, and another 8k m2 for the land it sits on.

I'm talking about condominiums, you live in a rabbit hutch located on a postage stamp, we're not talking about how cheaply a person can live, we're (you and I) discussing the value for money offered of buying a new condominium as described previously.

I'm talking about condominiums, you live in a rabbit hutch located on a postage stamp, we're not talking about how cheaply a person can live, we're (you and I) discussing the value for money offered of buying a new condominium as described previously.

I know we're getting off topic here but,

My house rabbit hutch is 145m2.

How big is your condo rabbit hutch?

And how is a house on a postage stamp plot worse than a condo half the size on no land at all?

PS

Completely out of interest, how often do YOU use a gym and swimming pool?

I get the idea you are too old for either, so why specify your condo needs them?

I know we're getting off topic here but,

My house rabbit hutch is 145m2.

How big is your condo rabbit hutch?

PS

Completely out of interest, how often do YOU use a gym and swimming pool?

I get the idea you are too old for either, so why specify your condo needs them?

You're correct, you are off topic but I'll play and keep you entertained until dinner is ready.

We were discussing condo values in CM, as stated previously (repeated for the third time) and the sample provided previously is not my condo.

My condo is 150 square metres and located in Watkate, but you knew that!

And since you ask: I use my gym membership four times a week for cardio., I swim as the need or want to do so takes me, typically twice a week, maybe more frequently in the hot season.

Do you have any further questions requiring answers that will help you clarify your response to my original question, given the additional information you have gleaned thus far:

"Do you think a new build, fully furnished condo built by a reputable name brand firm in Chiang Mai is overpriced at THB 40k per square metre, located inside the ring road in Muang?"

Edited by chiang mai

So my 145m2 house is a rabbit hutch, and your 150m2 condo isn't a rabbit hutch?

5m2 doesn't seem that significant a difference in floor area to me.

(That's if we ignore the 150m2 of grass in front of my place)

So my 145m2 house is a rabbit hutch, and your 150m2 condo isn't a rabbit hutch?

5m2 doesn't seem that significant a difference in floor area to me.

(That's if we ignore the 150m2 of grass in front of my place)

Ooo, nerve struck, payback, karma, too funny! giggle.gif

Last time of trying, dinners almost ready, answer the question or not?

BTW, how's the rental value on your house?

chiang mai,

How often do you, or anyone else, NOW use the tennis courts where you live?

My question to AOA previously did not mention tennis courts, personally I'm hopeless at the game and can easily find much more preferable ways to do cardio. But we have friends who play on a regular basis, the biggest fiend (not mispelled) I know plays twice a week, it seems to have that addictive quality similar to golf, to some people - most players I see here are Japanese.

Back to the original question: when in a country where you are not a citizen never buy anything you cannot take with with you if you were forced to leave (unless you could afford to lose it).

In a country where you are not permitted to own property, save as a minority shareholder, well, it takes a lot of trust. The possible negative is all too familiar.

Great thread and thanks to all who have contributed as I am in the same situation as the OP

Anyone that lives in CM what would a condo cost to rent near the night market? I was going to rent in Pattaya

but only been to CM once and could see myself there more often than Pattaya as I am getting over it now,been

there 15+ times in 5 years.

PM me if you want.

Cheers

KG