Non Immigrant `B` extension possible?

Hi everyone,

my husband has a Thai company and a work permit and a multiple entries one year non-immigrant B visa.

we are from the Netherlands and he is 59 years old. We travel back and forth to the NL.

We are currently in the Netherlands, we will go back to thailand and the visa will expire a few weeks before we want to head back to the NL again.

He will stay in Thailand for about 3 months and 1 week. The visa will expire after about 2 months and 2 weeks, so 3 weeks before we want to leave thailand.

Question: could he get an extension at a local immigration point? For the visa? Or is, when the year is over, the visa not valid anymore?

If it is possible to get an extension at a local immigration office, will he still be able to keep his work permot and permission to work there?

And then he wouldn't have to leave the country after 90 days for a visa run?

Usually, we make visa runs after 90 days but it seems such a waste as we just cross the 90 days rule with a bit more than1 week.

Thanks for thinking with me!

• Like 1

Thanks, so 7 days he could get at local office. but is that 90 days + 7 or is that until visa expries (after 1 year of issue date?)

or is it like this: if you entry thailand within 90 days of expiring visa, you get 90 days anyways? and are allowed to work then?

thanks, i find it complicated so am thankful for any help

If he leaves and re-enters just before his visa expires he will get another 90 day entry. He could get a 7 day extension of that 90 day permit to stay or his current permit to stay if his visa has already expired.

The visas use before date is the last date he can use the visa to enter the country and obtain a new 90 day entry it does no limit the amount of time you can be in the country.

Ubon Joe, What is needed for this, and I quote from one of your above posts: "If he has at least 8 months of validity on his could get a new multiple entry non-b visa in Penang."

I assume you mean 8 months validity on his passport, correct? Or is it on the work permit? I have a non-b and a registered Thai company but no work permit. I have a US passport and the last visa I got was in Boston which is a bit of a hike. If I could get a new visa in Penang, well, that is certainly closer. My visa is up next month and I'll go for the extra 90 days just before it expires. However, a new visa would be even better. Any chances for me?

Thanks and cheers, Bam

Ubon Joe, What is needed for this, and I quote from one of your above posts: "If he has at least 8 months of validity on his could get a new multiple entry non-b visa in Penang."

I assume you mean 8 months validity on his passport, correct? Or is it on the work permit? I have a non-b and a registered Thai company but no work permit. I have a US passport and the last visa I got was in Boston which is a bit of a hike. If I could get a new visa in Penang, well, that is certainly closer. My visa is up next month and I'll go for the extra 90 days just before it expires. However, a new visa would be even better. Any chances for me?

Thanks and cheers, Bam

Oops not enough coffee I guess. It should of been work permit which have now added into my post.

No work permit no visa in Penang or anywhere nearby.

Thanks Ubonjoe! and when he has his 90 days (or 90+7), he is allowed to work? (he does have a work permit) so, in theory, a multiple one year visa can be used for nearly 15 months? that would be interesting! Can you please confirm this? Then I know enough! thank you so much!

angela

The visa can only be used for one year from date of issue. It is possible to get almost 15 months of total stay from a one year visa.

As long as he has a valid work permit and permit to stay he can work.

When does his work permit expire?

his work permit will be renewed in the beginning of his stay this time, so that shouldn't be a problem....

i just don't understand, you say the visa is valid one year but one can stay nearly 15 months. so if you enter the country before it expires, it shouldn;t be a problem to stay and work a little longer (max 90 days then), just as long as you have a work permit?

THANKS so much, I feel like a burden but am very grateful for your help...

his work permit will be renewed in the beginning of his stay this time, so that shouldn't be a problem....

i just don't understand, you say the visa is valid one year but one can stay nearly 15 months. so if you enter the country before it expires, it shouldn;t be a problem to stay and work a little longer (max 90 days then), just as long as you have a work permit?

THANKS so much, I feel like a burden but am very grateful for your help...

Yes you can get almost 15 months of stay from a 12 month valid Non Immigrant visa, just exit and re-enter Thailand before your 'Use Before' date and you will get another 90 days Permission to Stay.

However there is a potential catch:

Your Work Permit must be renewed before it expires, else you loose it. Depending on your contract, renewal will normally be one year after WP issue; the chances are that if you do the 15 month stay trick, then when you need to apply for a new 12 month non immigrant 'b' visa, you will not have the >8 months validity left on your work permit which Penang require to issue a new 12 month Multiple entry non immigrant 'b' visa.

The longest extension he can get is 7 day unless his salary and company can qualify for a one year extension of stay under clause 2.1 of Thai Police Order 777/2551 .

If he has at least 8 months of validity on his work permit he could get a new multiple entry non-b visa in Penang.

Yeah I did the 15 month trick and got out of sync

However I just got a 1 year multi with just under 7 months left on WP so there is some leeway although a factor might have been they were a bit puzzled why I did not qualify for extension from local immigration. Told them I'd run out of palm grease.

Was told next time 8-9 months validity on WP.

Edited by EBlair48