Water at Bhumibol dam drops to critical level

webfact

Water at Bhumibol dam drops to critical level

7-13-2014-8-44-23-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Water stored at the Bhumibol dam has dropped to a critical level similar to the situation two years ago as no fresh water has flowed into the dam for a month onward until July 12, said Mr Rakchart Lekboonpetch, an electric engineer at Bhumibol dam in Tak province.

The dam is releasing about ten million cubic metre of water downstream every day for irrigation purpose and to install the invasion of sea water in the Chao Phraya river but daily water inflow per day since July 12 amounts to just 100,000 cubic metres.

Dry water storage at the dam now stands at 4,000 million cubic metres only and Irrigation Department has been notified to instruct farmers to use water very economically.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/water-bhumibol-dam-drops-critical-level/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-14

Went to see it yesterday. It's only 30 percent filled to capacity.

Spoke to a a group of rice farmers about it. They say it's not to be a problem this season, but next season there may not be enough water for irrigation.

Interesting point in the OP is a steady flow of water from the damn is needed to keep saltwater out of the Chao Phraya river. I'd never thought of that.

• Like 1

Well it rained for several hours in the village I live (every other month!) East of Wang Sai Phun. We had 3 ongs with water and the village piped supply. Now we have more ongs full and some water in the paddie fields!

It's a worry about the dams not receiving enough water.

Not to worry folks, the government/junta will pay the farmers to bring water from Burma/Cambodia

and will throw more money at them just so they keep farming a crop Thailand can not or

it's either get stolen or rots away in some shady people silos....

strange,

OP says dam now stands at 4000 million cubic metres and they release 10 million cubic metres a day... that's 400 day's worth .... So what's the problem?

I am assuming they mean it has 400 million cubic metres... 40 day's supply.

But even then, normally 20% is not usable as it is silty and sludgy and good for nothing but problems in the waterways.

• Like 1

I suspect the plan will be to nip down the temple and start some ruddy chanting or something.....thats sure to sort it all out.

So twice in 2 years....Hmmmmmmmmm I see a a pattern... or maybe its just me.

I know why not build a better water retaining infrastructure instead of a stupid <deleted> train which you can travel faster in if you dont get raped and murdered whilst it de rails

I know why not build a better water retaining infrastructure instead of a stupid <deleted> train which you can travel faster in if you dont get raped and murdered whilst it de rails

Ouch! blink.png

Even I myself am unsubtle at best, but that takes the biscuit.

• Like 2

Irrigation Department has been notified to instruct farmers to use water very economically.

Like thats going to happen farmers only care for there own interest, up my way they block and or divert the rivers, some dig deep pools more water for them... turn off each other pumps, cut hoses list goes on. and the ID think there instruction will be followed

Not a Chance,wai2.gif