did air asia make the right decision by moving to DM airport

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also less congested so easier to keep on schedule and small (estimated at 1-2%) fuel savings because of less circling wait for air traffic clairance. The new airport is operating above design capacity. It's difficult for a low cost airline in those circumstances because of shorter aircraft turnaround times.

If they would have built the third runway (have a google earth look, you will see it) and a second terminal there would be no need for two airports and no one would need to get their schedules <deleted>-up and travel 50kms between two airports

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Air Asia at DM is great...if web check-in and print boarding passes at home and no checked bags can go straight to immigration, where there is almost never a line for departure (can be on arrival) and there's a Fuji (none at Swampy) without outrageous prices and a MickeyDs for the kids and Starbucks, s&p or black canyon for a cuppa. What's not to like?

• Like 2

Air Asia at DM is great...if web check-in and print boarding passes at home and no checked bags can go straight to immigration, where there is almost never a line for departure (can be on arrival) and there's a Fuji (none at Swampy) without outrageous prices and a MickeyDs for the kids and Starbucks, s&p or black canyon for a cuppa. What's not to like?

You might be there...w00t.gif .................laugh.png

They must have lost a lot of customers. I for one will never fly with them again as it is too difficult to get to and from Don Meung.

Not based on the 3 flights I had with them from DM in the last month.

Not full (one was nearly full) but well subscribed.

Edited by Jip99

You might be there...w00t.gif .................laugh.png

I'm not getting the humor?? I was a couple days ago for my flight to Phnom Penh.

went from there a few weeks ago, i drove based on that never again. All old signs still up terminal 1 terminal 2 Domestic etc. Eventually found a car park in T 2 walked to old T1 to check in then back to gate 75 T2. On return same in reverse accept it pay in terminal not on exit, as ticket was in car so back to T1. Should have checked price on parking but on here some time ago free, I paid 1520 baht for just over a week. Cheap airlines but as usual soon a cock up and expensive place.

Ignore all airport signs around DM as they are for swamppy.

I also thought they had to relocate due to congestion at main airport which has about 250 runway closures a year due to cracks, hence cannot handle the traffic.

By taxi fine.

Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

coming from chiang mai and continuing international makes flying into DM counter productive.

Those are really the only people affected. I live in CM too. And that's only if you're connecting to a non-Air Asia flight. Connecting to an Air Asia intl flight at DM is easy.

So they lost a few customers like you and me but more than made up for it by the cost savings at DM. And with so many intl flights out of CM now, it's rare that I have to connect in BKK.

• Like 1

Smart move, I think, lower costs mean lower fares. Scoot are moving there from September. I think the government want all LCCs to operate from there eventually.

WOW ... I had to check this out.

Muck of the chatter was that they were moving in May ... but the latest is "Scoot will start using Don Muang Airport from 1st September. Flight still arriving at 7PM from Singapore."

That quote is from another website and not officially from Scoot.

Scoot used to code share with Tiger Airlines on some flights so I wonder if that has gone by the wayside?

Try parking in the airport car-park, then you'll change your mind about DM.

Not only that, the ways you have to go, to reach you Gate, when you are unlucky by foot,

without any people movers - old airport design, are to far! blink.png

Prices,

-Krisby Kreme Doughnuts- seems to run good in Domestic with Isaanis flying home as a present,

good to, but, wanted to charge me 80.- Baht for a small, 0,3 l Fanta can.

No thanks, I replied. blink.png

Assuming they are making more money at DMK compared to what they would make by charging the same fares at BKK, then they absolutely made the right decision.

They received substantial fee discounts for three years, newly remodeled areas for passengers, less air congestion (which leads to less fuel costs) and room to grow.

• Like 1

I think its great, domestic & close asian destinations from the one LCC, beats the shit out of A.A. LCC base in K.L.

The only problem i've encountered is one flight from ubon landed @ don muang 1600hrs on a friday, the traffic was horrendous into the city, maybe 11/2 hours to the nana, but i've learnt from that, time your arrivals accordingly.

cheers songhklasid.coffee1.gif

Bit of a hassle getting a taxi back from DM after you land, they have this makeshift taxi

stand that you have to queue for half hour or mere at times to get a ride back,

More arrivals than available taxis, not enough coming into DM...

They didn't make the decision, they were told to move there!! I fly into Bkk monthly with either AA or Nok and I prefer it to Swampy. I only drove there once and wouldn't do that again as the parking is terrible. Why all the complaints about getting there by taxi?? It's not that far to Bkk unless you go at rush hour, isn't that the same as every airport in every city in the world?

They even have a cheap voucher restaurant for all you cheap farang out there smile.png

• Like 2