Passenger van services to be regulated by the Army: Thailand

webfact

they should also stop the driver using mobile phones as well, i got a van from bkk 2 hour trip the driver was on the phone the whole time he drove the whole trip with one hand on the wheel swerving in and out of traffic

So what did you do about it? Ask him to stop? Report him? Get off the van?

Or did you just let him carry on breaking the law and not bother doing anything? How does the driver know that anyone cares if no-one says anything.

What could he do about it? Smack him over the head with a steel rod?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about any driver caught on the phone gets a 100k fine as they are ALL on the phone, sometimes for the entire journey.

Also how about a full safety check monthly for tyres brakes etc

Every single one of the safety controls implemented on the Victory Monument to Thammasat Rangsit van after the tollway accident have been abandoned. No seat belt inspection, no GPS tracking, no buzzer over 90 kph, no sign with complaint number etc. All gone after the 2nd month.

You wouldn't think safely driving 30k down a half-empty straight highway at 90 kph would be so damn difficult, but it's beyond most of the drivers' emotional capabilities.

They are loosing money when they only go 90. Its crazy I mean putting in gps tracking and some software would catch them all.

Dont give them more ideas they arnt capable of using properly for god sake...

Its not my idea.. it was an idea floated after a previous accident of high speed vans. It was proposed by Thais.

LOL facepalm.gif

Public Van drivers are the worst / most dangerous on the road.

I challenge anyone on on their daily drive to come back with a photo of a van driver A) using a signal at all or before changing lanes.

This is something we agree upon, they are real dangerous and will cut you off anytime. They are also the most anti social of all. You will see them pass traffic only to try to merge at the last possible opportunity blocking the lanes going straight.

Even when they can stop near the kerb they wont because it takes more time to get back in traffic better to stop on the road and block it for others so they can depart faster.

Unfortunately they are used a lot and if all the people in those vans had cars traffic would be even worse.

How are those speed limiters working that were installed after the Chachoengsao accident coffee1.gif

I was also going to ask, where are the speed radar traps? I see plenty of "warning" signs in Thai, but always laugh them off. Despite many claims there are now fixed speed radar traps (or speed cameras as they are known in Australia) I have only ever received one ticket this way and I suspect the camera might have been mobile rather than fixed (I believe it was on the southern outer ring road), which was sent to my address. As I generally do 20-40km/h over the speed limit on that road and other expressways, there can't be any fixed cameras because otherwise I would have received a lot more fines in the mail.

It's quite amazing how low a priority stopping speeders seems to be in Thailand. In Vietnam, the police set up radar traps all over the country at regular intervals. On any given road trip you're guaranteed to see at least a couple such traps. The Vietnamese police strike fear in the hearts of motorists over there. The Thai police merely strike up an attack of laughter. Consequently, I generally drive whatever speed seems to be reasonable for the conditions because 1) there's hardly any speed limit signs in Thailand anyway, so how is one supposed to know the speed limit and 2) speed limit signs, where they exist are contradictory (such as a 90km/h side on the left and a 120km/h on the right on the Bangkok-Chonburi motorway) and since there is almost no enforcement, chances are you'll never get caught anyway. So speed on I'd say, lol.

20-40 kmh over the limit on a regular basis? You obviously consider yourself the best just of safe driving speeds and I am sure you would never comment on anybody else's bad driving. Having said that, since you don't see any speed signs it must be OK to do whatever speed you wish. And since you seem to be boasting about this I can only assume you have no respect for the law. I believe the open road speed limit is 110kph (except for a couple of exceptions) just like it is in Australia so there is no need for signs.

Edited by rethaier

How are those speed limiters working that were installed after the Chachoengsao accident coffee1.gif

I was... ...y, lol.

20-40 kmh over the limit on a regular basis? You obviously consider yourself the best just of safe driving speeds and I am sure you would never comment on anybody else's bad driving. Having said that, since you don't see any speed signs it must be OK to do whatever speed you wish. And since you seem to be boasting about this I can only assume you have no respect for the law. I believe the open road speed limit is 110kph (except for a couple of exceptions) just like it is in Australia so there is no need for signs.

(meant to say for: Australia):

Actually, 110 applies to the Freeways/Expressway, that are specifically Signed as such.

Default is 100, unless otherwise Posted, or individual States that sort of stuck to their guns: i.e. N.T. still has the higher 110

Residential is 50 unless otherwise...

Edited by tifino

I was... ...y, lol.

Actually, 110 applies to the Freeways/Expressway, that are specifically Signed as such.

Default is 100, unless otherwise Posted, or individual States that sort of stuck to their guns: i.e. N.T. still has the higher 110

Residential is 50 unless otherwise...

My last driving experience in Oz was when I lived in WA until 3 years ago and the "open road" speed limit except for areas close to cities was 110. When did that change?

I challenge anyone on on their daily drive to come back with a photo of a van driver A) using a signal at all or before changing lanes.

This is something we agree upon, they are real dangerous and will cut you off anytime. They are also the most anti social of all. You will see them pass traffic only to try to merge at the last possible opportunity blocking the lanes going straight.

Even when they can stop near the kerb they wont because it takes more time to get back in traffic better to stop on the road and block it for others so they can depart faster.

Unfortunately they are used a lot and if all the people in those vans had cars traffic would be even worse.

Rob, we agree on more than you care to admit but I digress.

Back to Minivans. This last Sunday morning 8am I on the expressway heading towards the Zoo with the family. I am in the middle lane doing about 90kmh or thereabouts. In front of me to my left a hundred meters or so is a slower moving vehicle (around 80kmh I estimate. Faster cars are passing me on the right.

Enter the minivan on the left and behind me. As he is racing up towards me and the car that I am gradually overtaking on the left, the minivan driver thinks it's better to try to squeeze between us than go around me to the 'fast lane'. At the very last second he swerves to avoid the car left and still a bit in front of me and manages to do so by less than a couple of feet - his van (not a ferrari btw) can't handle this manouever and he starts fish-tailing uncontrollably while applying the brakes.

I run it through my brain and for the life of me cannot understand why he would risk such a thing and those in his van, and other drivers...his little move may have saved him a few seconds, nothing else... and could have very easily ended up tragically.

My last driving experience in Oz was when I lived in WA until 3 years ago and the "open road" speed limit except for areas close to cities was 110. When did that change?

...it may? not have?

I used NT as an example that State(s)/Trerritory(s) can/have gone it alone from the National norm... Mind you, NT back in the 80's had Unlimited Speed Restriction, but Police kept watch on HOW well/badly someone handled themselves on the Open Road

I see an article like this where it says the army is going to be in charge of something, and it makes me wonder; with the army being in charge of so many things like this, how in the world will they be able to turn things over to a civilian government in a few months?

Rob, we agree on more than you care to admit but I digress.

Back to Minivans. This last Sunday morning 8am I on the expressway heading towards the Zoo with the family. I am in the middle lane doing about 90kmh or thereabouts. In front of me to my left a hundred meters or so is a slower moving vehicle (around 80kmh I estimate. Faster cars are passing me on the right.

Enter the minivan on the left and behind me. As he is racing up towards me and the car that I am gradually overtaking on the left, the minivan driver thinks it's better to try to squeeze between us than go around me to the 'fast lane'. At the very last second he swerves to avoid the car left and still a bit in front of me and manages to do so by less than a couple of feet - his van (not a ferrari btw) can't handle this manouever and he starts fish-tailing uncontrollably while applying the brakes.

I run it through my brain and for the life of me cannot understand why he would risk such a thing and those in his van, and other drivers...his little move may have saved him a few seconds, nothing else... and could have very easily ended up tragically.

Yes we agree on a lot of things, it was just tongue in cheek.

Anyway yes those minivans do real dangerous things on the road. I always pay extra attention when I see them. On a bike I often see a lot things as I am more moving through traffic as in a car. There are some pretty scary drivers out there, most of them are minivans, but I often see cars driving as if they were still on scooters (zig zaging through traffic).

Its always a bit of adventure when I go into traffic and many new things to see each day. Its a good thing i ride defensive and really look out. So many cars will just cut you off because what is behind is of no concern.

I do like how the military is trying to get the minivans moving instead of bloking roads. Near where I live the minivans and taxis block the roads so the bus stops in lane 3 leaving 1 lane for traffic going through. During rush hour they deploy a cop and traffic then moves better as outside of rush-hour as the taxis and minivans are not allowed to stop for long periods.

I see an article like this where it says the army is going to be in charge of something, and it makes me wonder; with the army being in charge of so many things like this, how in the world will they be able to turn things over to a civilian government in a few months?

Maybe the army should run in the election.

can see it now: van driver has wife and six kids, and gets delayed every day going shops, going school - having to prove he's not carrying a van of screaming passengers...

One can imagine and create a scenario for any event in life I suppose.

they should also stop the driver using mobile phones as well, i got a van from bkk 2 hour trip the driver was on the phone the whole time he drove the whole trip with one hand on the wheel swerving in and out of traffic

One Day At A Time. One Thing At A Time.

One Day At A Time. One Thing At A Time.

Talk Mobile now. Drive Van later

Please, please, also intensively regulate, check and deal with all those minivans used for transporting school children to and from school.

I've seen very old vehicles, carrying well in excess of 14 passengers. Two little bottoms to one seat, and some sitting on laps seems quite common.

Don't know if these are licensed or not? Suspect not, as many have the name of the school stencilled on the side.

• Like 1

This is a country, where you can drive your vehicle out of the showroom without proving that you have insurance or a license.

I never realised that it was the function of a car salesman to ensure you had a licence and insurance, maybe they are now a part of the police force.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Shouldn't they be governed as well? Say a max of 80kph?

I'll support that. In April, I was driving down to Koh Chang when on Route 36 (I think) I came up fast behind me. I was overtaking slower moving vehicles in the outside lane driving at about 90 - 100 km / hr (the same as the traffic ahead of me) when a Bangkok - Rayong van came up behind me fast blasting his horn and flashing his lights. I pulled over to the left as soon as it was safe to do so. Extremely dangerous driving!

How are those speed limiters working that were installed after the Chachoengsao accident coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

I was also going to ask, where are the speed radar traps? I see plenty of "warning" signs in Thai, but always laugh them off. Despite many claims there are now fixed speed radar traps (or speed cameras as they are known in Australia) I have only ever received one ticket this way and I suspect the camera might have been mobile rather than fixed (I believe it was on the southern outer ring road), which was sent to my address. As I generally do 20-40km/h over the speed limit on that road and other expressways, there can't be any fixed cameras because otherwise I would have received a lot more fines in the mail.

It's quite amazing how low a priority stopping speeders seems to be in Thailand. In Vietnam, the police set up radar traps all over the country at regular intervals. On any given road trip you're guaranteed to see at least a couple such traps. The Vietnamese police strike fear in the hearts of motorists over there. The Thai police merely strike up an attack of laughter. Consequently, I generally drive whatever speed seems to be reasonable for the conditions because 1) there's hardly any speed limit signs in Thailand anyway, so how is one supposed to know the speed limit and 2) speed limit signs, where they exist are contradictory (such as a 90km/h side on the left and a 120km/h on the right on the Bangkok-Chonburi motorway) and since there is almost no enforcement, chances are you'll never get caught anyway. So speed on I'd say, lol.

So you drive between 140 and 160 km / hour on Route 7? Remind me never to travel anywhere with you.

Alan

On one hand i feel a lot of the plans of teh Junta are just and should create a safer and better society. However i think they fail to understand how much money is involved with only making sure all these rules are obeyed . There is a vast system in western countries to ensure all laws are folowed and all companies are checked etc etc. This is the beginning of major increases in prices for everything here in Thailand. How else is the government later on able to ensure the safety and uphold a better system....

On one hand i feel a lot of the plans of teh Junta are just and should create a safer and better society. However i think they fail to understand how much money is involved with only making sure all these rules are obeyed . There is a vast system in western countries to ensure all laws are folowed and all companies are checked etc etc. This is the beginning of major increases in prices for everything here in Thailand. How else is the government later on able to ensure the safety and uphold a better system....

Haven't read all posts so not sure if this had been covered, will the control / licencing etc be extended to the vast number of overcrowded school buses (vans) racing around the country side with little if any thought for the kids?