house ownership

I have some questions re. ownership of a house. My son has a thai mother and thai ID. He is 7 yrs old.

Q1: Can he be an owner of the chanote?

Q2: If my GF (not mother of my son) would become the owner of the chanote and my son (or I) rhe owner of the house built on this land can she sell the property w/o my and my son's consent?

What's the best solution to protect the property?

I also heard that any minor 7 yrs old or above can be a sole chanote owner. Is it true?

I would appreciate a help on these questions.

Thank you

All the transfers I have dealt with has been the mother purchases in her name and the same time then gifts it to the child and is transferred to their name same day with minimal tax. Just remember if in a childs name, no loans or mortgages allowed and cant sell/transfer until of age unless under exceptional circumstanses granted by court. Whether only family members can gift to a child or not or the child can purchase outright is another question maybe better posed to ask the lawyer.

suggest you speak to a lawyer to understand all the options you have for your specific circumstance. However my understanding is

1) yes, a 7 year old can be the owner of a property but the legal right until 18 remains with the parents of the child.

2) not sure, check with a lawyer, but I would be careful about this assuming that you would like in the long run for your son to inherit the house & land and as he is not descendant of your girlfiend, this may get complicated.

There might be an alternative option that you buy the house through a company. Again check with a lawyer the options.

suggest you speak to a lawyer to understand all the options you have for your specific circumstance. However my understanding is

1) yes, a 7 year old can be the owner of a property but the legal right until 18 remains with the parents of the child.

2) not sure, check with a lawyer, but I would be careful about this assuming that you would like in the long run for your son to inherit the house & land and as he is not descendant of your girlfiend, this may get complicated.

There might be an alternative option that you buy the house through a company. Again check with a lawyer the options.

NO.

1. Legal rights over a property owned by a minor are with Thai court until child is aged 20.

2. Son can own outright (but not with any loan or debt attached to the property).

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

• 5 months later...

To be 100% certain, go to the land office where you will make the transaction.

They will show you exactly what they will do and what they will not do.

No lawyer required.

They will also have the forms you need and direct you to any other government office which you may need to go to for any additional forms.