Ielts In Thailand

Farma

I notice most of the posts on teaching in Thailand mention TOEFL/TEFL and there is very little emphasis or information on IELTS.

IELTS appears to be the preferred qualification for Thais wishing to study abroad especially to locations closer to home.

The IELTS qualification is increasingly required by many non US institutions and governments. TOEFL is not mentioned as an alternative qualification by many overseas education institutions.

In my opinion there appears to be a demand for IELTS that isn’t being addressed by the teaching community.

Is there a list of institutions in Thailand dedicated to IELTS tuition or is anything being done to improve the availability of IELTS tuition in Thailand?

Cheers

Farma

kenkannif

That’s my point. It’s around, but where? I saw the post you mentioned but didn’t want to hijack Bambinas request for help.

I know other people needing help with IELTS who have been unable to find a tutor in their area after months of searching.

This lack of IELTS tuition is delaying peoples further education and career ambitions.

Cheers

Farma

Thanks for the replies and links. Unfortunately the closest city, Ubon, offering IELTS classes is 1 hours drive away from where it is needed. I guess this is to be expected when away from the bigger cities.

Despite the local University and schools offering IELTS training in the city where it’s required, contact with the institutions indicates they can only offer Toefl. They just don’t have tutors in place to provide the service they claim they provide.

BC would be good if they were in more locations.

These people looking for IELTS qualifications are working professionals and not full time students. They’re interested in adding overseas qualifications to their degrees. They have to squeeze in studies after clinic hours. They can’t just pack their bags and spend time in Bangkok or elsewhere to study.

They’ve tried the local private English school to no avail. They did have an IELTS tutor, unfortunately he has since left.

This is just 1 example of what the situation is in one city. How many more cities in Thailand are in need of IELTS qualified tutors?

I think IELTS teaching qualifications could greatly expand the employment opportunities for someone willing to gain the qualifications.

Farma

^ I'm sure I've seen 'qualified IELTS teachers' advertised though???

Sorry about location....you said in Thailand, you meant in Ubon though really....right???

If you contact the BC they might be able to point you in the direction of people that do it???

There is no IELTS teaching qualification, there is only the qualification for those that are examiners.

Thanks, can you suggest how to go about preparing for the IELTS exam? They've been studying Ielts online and need personal tutoring prior to taking the exam.

Is the difference between Toefl and Ielts so great that a person training under Tefl guidelines could be disadvantaged in the Ielts test or wouldn't the difference matter?

I’m not a teacher; my qualifications are in a different field. I’m open to any suggestions that will assist these people prepare for their Ielts test. If the 2 systems of testing are close I will suggest they prepare via Toefl.

Cheers

Farma

^ I'm sure I've seen 'qualified IELTS teachers' advertised though???

Sorry about location....you said in Thailand, you meant in Ubon though really....right???

If you contact the BC they might be able to point you in the direction of people that do it???

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. The city is Sisaket but I feel the lack of tutors familiar with Ielts extends to other cities too. I'll contact BC and see if they can help.

Cheers

Farma

I'm sure I've seen 'qualified IELTS teachers' advertised though???

Real examiners will have a letter from the UK or Australian embassy which has a unique ID to identify them. If they don't have this letter then they are not qualified. There are no 'qualified IELTS teachers' unless they are also examiners or have been examiners at some point in the past.

TOEFL and IELTS are sufficiently different to warrant a different approach to teaching for them.

I'm sure I've seen 'qualified IELTS teachers' advertised though???

Real examiners will have a letter from the UK or Australian embassy which has a unique ID to identify them. If they don't have this letter then they are not qualified. There are no 'qualified IELTS teachers' unless they are also examiners or have been examiners at some point in the past.

TOEFL and IELTS are sufficiently different to warrant a different approach to teaching for them.

I've never heard of the embassys having anything to do with the exam. It's run by University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, IDP, and the British Council. The confirmation of examiner certification is from:

Cambridge ESOL

1 Hills Road

Cambridge

CB1 2EU

United Kingdom

Telephone: +44 1223 553355

Facsimile: +44 1223 460278

and should be signed by the IELTS Administrator of Cambridge ESOL - used to be Simon Addocks.