homeless dog with insects flying around his body

There is a dog at my work place that looks like it has a healthy coat. However there are numerous small insects flying around his body. He doesn’t smell and there are no visible open wounds. Maybe just a small healed scar. Why would these insects be flying around him?

I pulled off a huge tick and will apply frontline tomorrow. Would putting on a tick colar help? Or is he simply in need of a bath.

Thanks for your advice

Using Ivermac without have his blood checked to see if he has heartworm could be very dangerous. It shgould not be used in an animal that already is infected..

Using Ivermac without have his blood checked to see if he has heartworm could be very dangerous. It shgould not be used in an animal that already is infected..

I live in the sticks,been here for some years, basically, no where locally to check for heartworm,our local vets use Ivermac all the time, do not,could not, and do not have the facillity's to check for heartworm.

This area is a big cattle area you can not get any blood tests done on dairy cattle(The local DLD do check for TB,but not in my area,).

Nothing more I would like than a metabolic profile done on some of the local cows would help a lot with some of the problems,especially infertillty .

So if some thing like a valuable cow can not be sampled, some soi dog with a few fly's would be a long way down the list for blood sampiling .