Out-in visa hoppers now being barred from entry to Thailand

Thanks Paz , appreciate the advice

I've got the missus and kids coming to Penang during the Thai school holidays in October, which is supposed to be my last Month here , so I'm going to get a 90 day O to start of with. Thats the plan anyway but my company are on about extending my contract so I may have think about something else.

Mario2008 ,thanks, yes I now have a "Folder" with all sorts of ID,Proof of address,Bank statement, Kids cert, custody papers, contract in it. If I lose it I'll be nailed on for identity theft

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now we will here from all the cry babies who been living in Thailand with these tourist visa. Either get a proper visa or go home.

Any advice for someone under 50 that isn't married with no Thai children, that working outside of Thailand on a 6 week on 6 week off rotation, that wishes to spend his time off in Thailand??? Any suggestions???

Alternate with another country,

Thailand, Philippine, Nepal all have a great climate.

What's so special about Thailand?

I really don't understand the desperation foreigners have to stay in Thailand, it ain't that great a place.

There are dozens of countries that offer the same or more, for a similar price.

The thing that separates los from all other countrys is the BarGiRls. Dont underestimate the pull of thai girlz.

So very glad to see this coming into effect. Now maybe all these sots trying to cheat the system will finally come into line with reality.

I suspect this attitude is coming from the retirement community, who think their visas are safe.

I think you'll find that those that are here on legitimate visas, extension of stays, work permits are quite right to be glad to see that immigration are clamping down on the visa abusers. Why should others think they should be treated differently, because they don't qualify under the current regulations.

We all have a choice to be here, and we all have a choice to leave.

So very glad to see this coming into effect. Now maybe all these sots trying to cheat the system will finally come into line with reality.

I suspect this attitude is coming from the retirement community, who think their visas are safe.

I think you'll find that those that are here on legitimate visas, extension of stays, work permits are quite right to be glad to see that immigration are clamping down on the visa abusers. Why should others think they should be treated differently, because they don't qualify under the current regulations.

I'm just about as legit as one can get on marriage extensions, but I'm not glad to see immigration clamping down. All it takes is for them to cut deeper into the flesh and poof, there go my extensions. Be it by collateral damage or on purpose. No news from the immigration front is good news.

DT i understand that, i dont believe though that immigration are going to go after legit visa holders such as yourself. If they do then ALL foreigners are under threat.They are going after the abusers. What is apparrent is that the implemenation could have been done better IMHO

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Then they should go after the companies employing people illegally.

Rather then attacking people at the borders, where they have no proof either way if someone is working illegally.

Even if you don't work illegally. It's not allowed to do 10 border/touris visa runs like a lot of people do

Rather then attacking people at the borders, where they have no proof either way if someone is working illegally.

Even if you don't work illegally. It's not allowed to do 10 border/touris visa runs like a lot of people do

There has never been a law against that.

• Like 2

Well Lars you seem like a pretty good fellow. But If it had not been allowed -- people would have never done it. They would have been stopped ... there was no trickery, no subterfuge, no forged passports or fake visas ... Thai Immigration allowed it and even facilitated the ins and outs for anyone and everyone... Please think about that for a few minutes ...

• Like 2

Well Lars you seem like a pretty good fellow. But If it had not been allowed -- people would have never done it. They would have been stopped ... there was no trickery, no subterfuge, no forged passports or fake visas ... Thai Immigration allowed it and even facilitated the ins and outs for anyone and everyone... Please think about that for a few minutes ...

I'm talking about the rules today. Not about the rules 1 or 5 years ago

I understand that now Lars - thanks for clarifying your statement...

And right now.. Eg today.. Some borders still say it's allowed..

Just read a Facebook report of a totally as normal 30 day visa exempt entry visa run at Mai said for someone with a large history of them.

So allowed, not allowed, the lack of clarity is the problem.

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1

Does anybody have a rough idea of how many farangs are dependent on visa runs to stay in Thailand .Is it thousands, tens of thousands , hundreds of thousands ?

Wild guess but I'd say it's tens of thousands.

Does anybody have a rough idea of how many farangs are dependent on visa runs to stay in Thailand .Is it thousands, tens of thousands , hundreds of thousands ?

Good question. I think less than it was 10 years ago. Certainly with 30 day runs, but then it went to 60 dsy double entry tourist visas.

I would sugesst thst it is up in the tens of thousands

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A year ago or so ... I researched the number of Expats in Thailand. There is not any single reliable source - so I used several sources and cobbled together an estimate (actually guestimate) of about 550,000 Western Expats living in Thailand ... (Note: I do not state that this number is the end all - it is a 'guestimate') - hopefully TVF members understand what that is... And if anyone knows what a more accurate number is please post it.

Anyway... if others believe that the above is somewhat close to being correct - then perhaps it can be used to derive an estimate of those 'beautifulthailand' questions about.

edited to correct an error

Edited by JDGRUEN

So all us offshore workers are screwed rolleyes.gif again common sense must prevail here TIT

All of the Asian countries have offshore oil workers living there. Not all of these countries have a visa waiver when you enter the country. The alternative is to just get whichever visa is required to allow you to live there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm just about as legit as one can get on marriage extensions, but I'm not glad to see immigration clamping down. All it takes is for them to cut deeper into the flesh and poof, there go my extensions. Be it by collateral damage or on purpose. No news from the immigration front is good news.

I'm also completely legit - but very unhappy to see this development.

The number of young adventurous foreigners will shrink and the pool of international talent, entrepreneurs, traders and generally interesting people will diminish and thus a certain "edge" will be blunted in Thailand's fledgling IT, creative, design, film and entertainment industries. And just when it was getting close to interesting.

Also Thailand as a hub for offshore workers and people who do business in the area will also diminish. Never mind, condos will become a lot cheaper.

I guess on the positive side, the place will get a good clean up. Corruption will be reduced, crackdowns on everything. And it will become a proper bloody country, run with some proper bloody discipline. And it will be about bloody time too.

I often read amongst those foreigners who are the talented influx in Thailand that why should I set up a company and have to hire 4 Thai persons to sit around and do nothing? And I think, that if you DID hire the right Thai persons, why would they have to sit around and do nothing if you are so interesting and possess such a wealth of international talent?

• Like 1

I often read amongst those foreigners who are the talented influx in Thailand that why should I set up a company and have to hire 4 Thai persons to sit around and do nothing? And I think, that if you DID hire the right Thai persons, why would they have to sit around and do nothing if you are so interesting and possess such a wealth of international talent?

Because without falling into the xenophobe trap your obviously laying.. Finding 4 intelligent articulate service minded Thais, who can operate in an international market place, without the face and Thai way if doing things, isn't easy..

I have had to contract IT professionals in the last few years.. We dealt with Indians, Philippinos, and eastern euros.. Despite being here full time and lower labor rates.. Thais were not even in the running.

• Like 1

A young photographer, writer or designer with a capital of a few thousand dollars, limitless energy and some ideas ( often hair brained) doesn't need much support. They improvise. But they can't deal with setting up a Thai company (an epic nightmare) or permanently employing people.

But I'm not particularly batting for these people - because they will just move on. And they are moving on. What disturbs me is that the pool flexible, hip, edgy, talented, risk taking, energetic, creative people is diminishing. And that's not good for the cross pollination of ideas, creativity and even investment.

It's not good for the Thais either, because exposure to new ideas, skills and perspectives augments their capabilities. And a vibrant pool of interesting people is very stimulating for design and entertainment, which in time can mature into high end business's.

• Like 2

A young photographer, writer or designer with a capital of a few thousand dollars, limitless energy and some ideas ( often hair brained) doesn't need much support. They improvise. But they can't deal with setting up a Thai company (an epic nightmare) or permanently employing people.

But I'm not particularly batting for these people - because they will just move on. And they are moving on. What disturbs me is that the pool flexible, hip, edgy, talented, risk taking, energetic, creative people is diminishing. And that's not good for the cross pollination of ideas, creativity and even investment.

It's not good for the Thais either, because exposure to new ideas, skills and perspectives augments their capabilities. And a vibrant pool of interesting people is very stimulating for design and entertainment, which in time can mature into high end business's.

the problem being for every one of those allowed by the previous system, thailand got dozens of drones, which is NOT good for the thais.

Edited by AYJAYDEE

Because without falling into the xenophobe trap your obviously laying.. Finding 4 intelligent articulate service minded Thais, who can operate in an international market place, without the face and Thai way if doing things, isn't easy..

I have had to contract IT professionals in the last few years.. We dealt with Indians, Philippinos, and eastern euros.. Despite being here full time and lower labor rates.. Thais were not even in the running.

I've had exactly the same experience. And its not because there's anything wrong with Thais. They are as hardworking, ingenuous and as clever as any group. The problem is that there isn't much of a creative community. It was starting to develop, starting to get a bit interesting, even competitive on an international level.

The film biz here had some legs for a minute - but young movie makers, writers and talent generally find it too difficult to hang in here - some of the most interesting have already left. There was a brilliant set designer from LA - heaps of ideas, totally cool, not much cash - she's gone. One of the best young jewellery designers I've ever come across, has also left, because he could find no way to be legal. Another totally interesting Japanese artist was determined to stick it out and follow all the rules, he won't be here for much longer. Too much legal stress.

I know, I know - if you're not willing to follow the bloody rules, you can get bloody well out.

Fine. But the people here talking about the rules a few WEEKS before. Not Years.

the problem being for every one of those allowed by the previous system, thailand got dozens of drones, which is NOT good for the thais.

Many a drone has been inspired by their enviroment.

Permit a free and easy bohemian environment and you'll cultivate talent, ideas and creativity.

Place restrictions, make things difficult, lots of laws, lots of crackdowns and you'll create a breeding ground for drones.

It just occurred to me....I think that's what might be behind this crackdown.

Edited by Christie Paul

Many a drone has been inspired by their enviroment.

Permit a free and easy bohemian environment and you'll cultivate talent, ideas and creativity.

Place restrictions, make things difficult, lots of laws, lots of crackdowns and you'll create a breeding ground for drones.

It just occurred to me....I think that's what might be behind this crackdown.

Seems to me that describes a Communist country crackdown or regime.

Not a Thai style crackdown, that is normally done just for the looks. Once some modest results are achieved, and the problem becomes less visible, it will go away just as it started.

Then if Thailand is a culture conductive to creativity or not, it's a discussion that belongs elsewhere.