Out-in visa hoppers now being barred from entry to Thailand

Plans do change but mindful

adults do not concoct subterfuges to trick, insult and disrespect officers of the Royal Thai Department of Immigration.

if the officer cannot understand that many tourists stay with friends, own their own place or do not book hotels in advance preferring to get a hotel wherever they happen to be, then that is the only way to satisfy his ignorant request.
I dont have any hotel bookings. I stay at my own condo in Chiang Mai which I own in my own name freehold. That is the only thing I will be telling immigration unless I will be staying in Bkk for a few nights which I do so occasionally, no lies.

and perhaps they will refuse you entry!

• Like 1

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plans do change but mindful

adults do not concoct subterfuges to trick, insult and disrespect officers of the Royal Thai Department of Immigration.

if the officer cannot understand that many tourists stay with friends, own their own place or do not book hotels in advance preferring to get a hotel wherever they happen to be, then that is the only way to satisfy his ignorant request.
I dont have any hotel bookings. I stay at my own condo in Chiang Mai which I own in my own name freehold. That is the only thing I will be telling immigration unless I will be staying in Bkk for a few nights which I do so occasionally, no lies.

and perhaps they will refuse you entry

According to the immigration department rules, a maximum of one 30 day entry stamp is permitted. That's right, the rule just says one stamp. I have no idea if that means in a lifetime, in a passport, per year, per two months or what. But that's the rule, as stupid and senseless as it seems. So, if an Immigration officer wants to be strict, just don't bother visiting Thailand, the risks are simply too high for legitimate tourists.

That is what their rule appears to amount to, incredibly. Which means in theory, somebody who visited once, last year say, for a few weeks, could be barred from entry if they don't have a tourist visa and would just have expected another 30 day stamp.

Or, people who regularly visit for a few weeks at a time and then return home to work for a few weeks, or do whatever, would be barred. That could impact oil rig workers for example, or just wealthy people who like to spend a few weeks at home followed by a few weeks in Thailand etc.

Although the stated aim is to prevent people from obtaining back to back tourist visas or entry stamps, assuming that these people are illegal workers, there is no clarity, apart from what I said above, to define what too many visits means. One immigration officer may decide that back to back means out one day and in the same day or a day or so later, others may decide it just means several visits a year, without checking whether they have stayed out for days, weeks or months.

This level of uncertainty and hassle of now having to obtain a tourist visa even for a short visit is bound to deter many genuine tourists. Who will want to take the risk of being refused entry and essentially deported? And even if you have a tourist visa my understanding is there is still no guarantee you will be allowed entry. What of you have 3 tourist visas already, is that too many? Or two? If there is no clarity then there are risks that are unacceptable.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

where is this rule you refer to?

According to the immigration department rules, a maximum of one 30 day entry stamp is permitted. That's right, the rule just says one stamp. I have no idea if that means in a lifetime, in a passport, per year, per two months or what. But that's the rule, as stupid and senseless as it seems. So, if an Immigration officer wants to be strict, just don't bother visiting Thailand, the risks are simply too high for legitimate tourists.

That is what their rule appears to amount to, incredibly. Which means in theory, somebody who visited once, last year say, for a few weeks, could be barred from entry if they don't have a tourist visa and would just have expected another 30 day stamp.

Or, people who regularly visit for a few weeks at a time and then return home to work for a few weeks, or do whatever, would be barred. That could impact oil rig workers for example, or just wealthy people who like to spend a few weeks at home followed by a few weeks in Thailand etc.

Although the stated aim is to prevent people from obtaining back to back tourist visas or entry stamps, assuming that these people are illegal workers, there is no clarity, apart from what I said above, to define what too many visits means. One immigration officer may decide that back to back means out one day and in the same day or a day or so later, others may decide it just means several visits a year, without checking whether they have stayed out for days, weeks or months.

This level of uncertainty and hassle of now having to obtain a tourist visa even for a short visit is bound to deter many genuine tourists. Who will want to take the risk of being refused entry and essentially deported? And even if you have a tourist visa my understanding is there is still no guarantee you will be allowed entry. What of you have 3 tourist visas already, is that too many? Or two? If there is no clarity then there are risks that are unacceptable.

Incorrect. The rule says eligible visa exempt persons shall "be allowed multiple entries". What exactly does that mean?

Supposedly wealthy Sino-Tycoons fly in from Singapore and Shanghai to play golf "almost every weekend". Do you think Immigration intends to interfere with their vast spending? For what purpose?

We all get it - you're fabulous and most of the rest of us are lower than whale crap. Now can you please give it a rest?

Illegals are lower than whale crap (lol, does a whale crap in the ocean?). They are criminals who are trespassing. They spread disease and undermine wages for residents. They are parasites that use up the resources of the host country. It takes officers to round up illegals, it takes diesel to ship them to the port, and it takes fuel to send them back to their country.

Don't be an illegal. Go through the proper channels that the government has setup.

u are that idiot who dressed an army uniform to impress her girlfriend and has been arrested few days ago,are you?free bird again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Thailand

you know that in your country somewhere the law is being violated every day of the yeat(except public holidays),and police does not give a monkey...

Edited by kaobang

So far, five pages of comments. Get a grip everyone. They have begun to enforce the law. If you have been violating the intent of the law with regards to tourist visas, you know it. What's with all the comments and questions? If you have based your life on violating the law, who is supposed to feel sorry for you? You have probably had a good run over the years and now it's time to either get with the program or move on. What's so difficult?

no law was violated.show me this law

Already being enforced at Mae Sai border. Friend was denied another 30 days this morning (July 16th) entry after only having ONE other I/O in his passport. This would have been his 2nd time to the border and was denied another 30 days. They said they would give him 7 days, then he has to leave for good. No one could tell him how long he would have to leave for or if he flew in and out if there would be a different result.

He is not working, is not a free loader, just saved up for a year for finances so he could come on a three month holiday to enjoy the "land of smiles" everyone has been going on about for years. As if writing this, he has to leave the country within 6 days even though his air ticket isn't for another month, and he has to fly out of BKK. He's totally bummed and no one, not even immigration, can tell him if he will be permitted to enter again to fly out once he leaves.

This is going to be a huge mess for many innocent people who are able to take extended holidays. It doesn't make a lot of sense to sell Thailand as paradise to tourists if all they are wanted is 30 days. Some people save up for dream vacations / adventures that last longer than 30 days. My first trip here was 45. Well done Thailand.

At the same time, news today says they are registering thousands of ILLEGAL WORKERS near Phuket so they can enjoy their cheap slave labor.

so 1 stamp is enough.

Already being enforced at Mae Sai border. Friend was denied another 30 days this morning (July 16th) entry after only having ONE other I/O in his passport. This would have been his 2nd time to the border and was denied another 30 days. They said they would give him 7 days, then he has to leave for good. No one could tell him how long he would have to leave for or if he flew in and out if there would be a different result.

He is not working, is not a free loader, just saved up for a year for finances so he could come on a three month holiday to enjoy the "land of smiles" everyone has been going on about for years. As if writing this, he has to leave the country within 6 days even though his air ticket isn't for another month, and he has to fly out of BKK. He's totally bummed and no one, not even immigration, can tell him if he will be permitted to enter again to fly out once he leaves.

This is going to be a huge mess for many innocent people who are able to take extended holidays. It doesn't make a lot of sense to sell Thailand as paradise to tourists if all they are wanted is 30 days. Some people save up for dream vacations / adventures that last longer than 30 days. My first trip here was 45. Well done Thailand.

At the same time, news today says they are registering thousands of ILLEGAL WORKERS near Phuket so they can enjoy their cheap slave labor.

so 1 stamp is enough.

he had two. his original entry, his first O/I and was refused his second

• Like 1

so 1 stamp is enough.

When they do stamp that I/O ??

Every time you enter on visa exemption ?

If I have a double visa, would they put me an I/O on my second entry ?

Why 30 days ? At land borders , wasn't it reduced to 15 days ?

Edited by max72

We all get it - you're fabulous and most of the rest of us are lower than whale crap. Now can you please give it a rest?

Illegals are lower than whale crap (lol, does a whale crap in the ocean?). They are criminals who are trespassing. They spread disease and undermine wages for residents. They are parasites that use up the resources of the host country. It takes officers to round up illegals, it takes diesel to ship them to the port, and it takes fuel to send them back to their country.

Don't be an illegal. Go through the proper channels that the government has setup.

Thailand gives illegal workers almost free work permits, only 1,305 baht. So I believe what you mean to say is farang are lower than whale crap. Illegal Burmese, Cambodian, or Laotian workers are treated better. http://www.thephuketnews.com/big-drive-soon-to-register-illegal-workers-in-phuket-47378.php

Read your link that you posted. They are registering them and giving them work permits. Work permit means they are legally able to be in Thailand and work.

Also since they are fisherman, they are literally higher than whale crap. Unless they fall overboard, then they would be equal with whale crap.

• Like 1

Can someone define an O/I?

Does that literally mean enter Thailand on a 30 day stamp and then exit some time within 30 days? So if I visited in January for 3 weeks would that be one O/I? And if so then furthers trips to Thailand would be prohibited forever, if using 30 day stamps?

Or does it mean to leave Thailand and reenter the same day, obtaining a fresh 30 day stamp?

Or does it mean something else?

It's not very well known - but Western governments apply quite a bit of pressure on Thailand regarding their tourist visa policies. They are not too happy about losing their slaves from the plantation. As far as Thailand is concerned, Falangs offer very little threat to local employment. Even those who are raking it in, working illegally aren't a burden to the economy and end up supporting local people.

Thailand has to be able show their Western friends that they are indeed coming down hard on Westerners who are enjoying themselves too much. Hence the routine tourist visa scares and threats, along with a set of ever changing rules that no one can understand. The net result is tens of thousands of people living here on tourist visas. And its been like that for decades as far as I know.

How long is a holiday anyway. If you can afford it or organise it, why not be on holiday for years if you want.

so 1 stamp is enough.

on your double? no one knows yet. G7 countries get 30 days by land

I would wager that embassy and consulates are processing higher a than average number of lost passport requests in light of the visa crackdown... A clean passport gives you a clean start at the borders...

Not true at all. When they scan a passport, the history comes up. In fact a blank passport book is probably going to be under even further scrutiny.

Thai scan system is not very good.

Databases are not well connected. Someone spoke to office about it here already...

There is a chance with new passport.

Reading many of you guys looking to find a trick, a gap, to stay here, in a dishonest and illegal way, makes me nauseous, and wish the visa rules will be made far more stringent in the future, and of strict application. Go get a life, somewhere else, you sad bunch!

I hope you`re the first to follow your own advice and that the "future strictening of visa rules" will apply for you too.You seems to be very bitter and twisted,and in your posts you don`t seem to be interested at all giving people some advice,except "Go Home !!" coffee1.gif

so 1 stamp is enough.

Really ? I though it changed 1-2 years ago, with only 15 days given by land.

Anyway, I don't understand yet what is that I/O ....is that a new stamp they put when you entry by 30 days exemption by land, or by

both ways, or when you exit or what ??

Can't just do something SIMPLE ? Strict if they want, but simple. What is I/O, what is that red stamp they put if you are questioned but approved...

red stamp because you could show you are a real tourist ?

That's all insane.

so 1 stamp is enough.

Anyway, I don't understand yet what is that I/O ....is that a new stamp they put when you entry by 30 days exemption by land, or by

Can't just do something SIMPLE ? Strict if they want, but simple. What is I/O, what is that red stamp they put if you are questioned but approved...

That's all insane.

O/I means out and right back in. no one knows if it applies to 2nd and 3 rd entries on tourist visas yet. it looks like it applies to back to back visas and 30 day visa exempts. and they are also targeting too many visa exempts.

so 1 stamp is enough.

That's all insane.

The red O/I stamp is added to your entry stamp if you have over 6 months in the past 2 years of tourist visas and you are re-entering shortly after leaving the country. Yet you have managed to satisfy the border staff and have been allowed to re-enter.

I suppose it is a flag for the next time you try to do it or apply for another tourist visa from outside Thailand.

I am assuming it is either to alert the embassy not to issue another tourist visa within a certain amount of time out of the country (which i don't know what length of time that will be) or it is to tell the border guard that this is your last time allowed in.

Maybe it is to tell the border guard when you are leaving Thailand next, to inform you that you can't come back in for a specified amount of time.

This is supposition, but I am sure it will be there for one of those reasons.

You get that red stamp, I seriously think that is your last visit on a tourist visa for a while.

In all honesty.... I think this is going to cause so much fuss and get Thailand tourism a hell of a lot of bad press around the world, that they are going to back peddle on this.

I remember back in the UK if a bunch of Brits were stranded in a foreign country for whatever reason, it would make the news or at least the mainstream press.

After 12th August, if there are literally hundreds getting stranded, it is going to be publicised.

• Like 1

So far, five pages of comments. Get a grip everyone. They have begun to enforce the law. If you have been violating the intent of the law with regards to tourist visas, you know it. What's with all the comments and questions? If you have based your life on violating the law, who is supposed to feel sorry for you? You have probably had a good run over the years and now it's time to either get with the program or move on. What's so difficult?

What's so difficult?

To start with, your ignorance on the difference between legal and lawful.

The usage of the term "violation" in your context is actually a violation itself, from several perspectives. The first and most obvious is intellectual.

Basing one's life on violating the law?

Which law?

Common law? Admiralty law? Or statutes with the force of law? But what about International law? Or are you talking about regulations enforced by people who have simply have the power to detain and imprison?

You are aware that Thailand's law is Napoleonic. Virtually impossible to codify regulations - except for criminal matters in which someone has suffered damage, injury or loss - then your guilty till proven innocent.

Perhaps you refer to natural law and the law of precedent. In this case absolute consistency is the key. In which case the violators of this legal principle would be those in uniform. They have to follow the law too. Ah but which law...who knows?

You're not allowed to work in Thailand on a tourist visa - really? So if one makes a ten minute phone call home and effectively does business whilst here on a tourist visa, are they working? Have they violated some law? Which law actually? Would not authorities be obliged under torts and sequesters to notify every person who enters the kingdom of this fact.

They don't and for a reason. Because it breeches a legal principle itself. Precedent and practical reality.

Or someone purchases something here with the idea they might sell it when they get back home - do they need a business visa? There goes the another few billion baht in exports.

Everything is kept ambiguous - because the whole visa thing is nothing to do with law. It can't be. It's about control and issues with foreign governments which take exception to people escaping their slave plantains for too long.

As for getting with the program. The Thais are on it. They don't want real estate prices to tank. They don't want retail to tank. They don't want tourism to collapse. They have a very open door policy although they can't be seen to be to free and easy.

Chill. This is a storm in a teacup augmented by bitter old legalistic expats into Schadenfreude.

Excellent post.

Schadenfreude is the real motivation for most posters who tend to deride those who are not of their feather.

• Like 1

As for getting with the program. The Thais are on it. They don't want real estate prices to tank. They don't want retail to tank. They don't want tourism to collapse. They have a very open door policy although they can't be seen to be to free and easy.

Do you honestly believe the economy and tourism will collapse because of this?

so 1 stamp is enough.

That's all insane.

O/I means out and right back in. no one knows if it applies to 2nd and 3 rd entries on tourist visas yet. it looks like it applies to back to back visas and 30 day visa exempts. and they are also targeting too many visa exempts.

and what is exactly a back to back visa ?

That's INSANE.

I just want to have a holiday and i have to fear like i was a criminal ?

Is this the "welcome back" Thailand gives to you ?

Neighbour countries must be crazy happy....Thailand is doing them a great favour.

• Like 1

so 1 stamp is enough.

That's all insane.

The red O/I stamp is added to your entry stamp if you have over 6 months in the past 2 years of tourist visas and you are re-entering shortly after leaving the country. Yet you have managed to satisfy the border staff and have been allowed to re-enter.

I suppose it is a flag for the next time you try to do it or apply for another tourist visa from outside Thailand.

I am assuming it is either to alert the embassy not to issue another tourist visa within a certain amount of time out of the country (which i don't know what length of time that will be) or it is to tell the border guard that this is your last time allowed in.

Maybe it is to tell the border guard when you are leaving Thailand next, to inform you that you can't come back in for a specified amount of time.

This is supposition, but I am sure it will be there for one of those reasons.

You get that red stamp, I seriously think that is your last visit on a tourist visa for a while.

In all honesty.... I think this is going to cause so much fuss and get Thailand tourism a hell of a lot of bad press around the world, that they are going to back peddle on this.

I remember back in the UK if a bunch of Brits were stranded in a foreign country for whatever reason, it would make the news or at least the mainstream press.

After 12th August, if there are literally hundreds getting stranded, it is going to be publicised.

So, they basically punish you because you chose to come back to Thailand for a second time.

Because if you can come just once in 2 years it means they HATE REAL TOURISTS and doing so this will cause many people to get an unproper visa, like ED visas for people who are not studying.

I have spent in Thailand 7 months in the past 2 years, if they think I am suspect of working illegaly, by staying 17 months outside and 7 inside that's madness.2012-2013 holidays, total 4 months in Thailand, than 8 months OUTSIDE, 2013-2014 holidays total 3 months in Thailand.

Am I an illegal ??? No, but i will get a red stamp, because i DARED to come back, and this is not acceptable in the country which hates tourists and don't want them to come back , ever, in your lifetime.

I will red stamped because i made the mistake to come back next winter rather than going to Cambodia or Malaysia.

They should put a sign "We hate you, farangs. Spend all your money at once and leave forever. Never come back again". It would be cleaer and that's it.

Edited by max72
  • Like 1

Replacement passports for lost / stolen / damaged passports in the UK have your old passport details on the page opposite the new details. Be quite easy for Thai immigration to check details off both. That might be problematic for some.

"Replacement passports for lost / stolen / damaged passports in the UK have your old passport details on the page opposite the new details."

What about renewal Passports? Having recently renewed a UK Passport,there is nothing on the the "Page Opposite" other than a partial copy of the first page,strange eh? so do'es renewing an expired Passport not count, in your statement above???

How did I compare the 2 Passports? well as they have always done, the Passport Office,cut off the corner of the expired passport and send it back to the applicant, i.e me!

Edited by MAJIC

Do you honestly believe the economy and tourism will collapse because of this?

No, but it can seriously hit tourism severely if word spreads around that people are having big problems being barred entry from Thailand on tourist visas. It can have a negative ripple effect on tourism in general if horror stories start being publicised in the western press.

Those press clippings won't bother going into detail as exactly what the reasons were for stranding westerners at land borders and the airports. Especially when people actually get a visa and still turned away.

It could put off a lot of tourists who will be stumping up a lot of cash for flights and hotels when they don't feel 100% confident about being admitted to the country.

Tourism accounts for 2.2 trillion baht a year, that is just less than the government budget for 2015, so yes.... Thailand needs its tourists like you need your blood.

Thailand is making a big mistake tinkering with the tourist visa criteria just to stop a few from working when all illegal workers that I know personally in Thailand are actually on non imm O visas and not a single one on a tourist visa.

Sledgehammer to crack a nut.

And no.... They are not 'enforcing the rules'.... they are making NEW rules.

2.2 trillion a year?.... if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Edited by lostsoul49
  • Like 1

So, they basically punish you because you chose to come back to Thailand for a second time.

Because if you can come just once in 2 years it means they HATE REAL TOURISTS and doing so this will cause many people to get an unproper visa, like ED visas for people who are not studying.

I have spent in Thailand 7 months in the past 2 years, if they think I am suspect of working illegaly, by staying 17 months outside and 7 inside that's madness.2012-2013 holidays, total 4 months in Thailand, than 8 months OUTSIDE, 2013-2014 holidays total 3 months in Thailand.

Am I an illegal ??? No, but i will get a red stamp, because i DARED to come back, and this is not acceptable in the country which hates tourists and don't want them to come back , ever, in your lifetime.

I will red stamped because i made the mistake to come back next winter rather than going to Cambodia or Malaysia.

They should put a sign "We hate you, farangs. Spend all your money at once and leave forever. Never come back again". It would be cleaer and that's it.

no , its MORE than once in One year

I really do not understand two facts...

1- If I do not work, my whole life is an holiday... and I like to stay as a turist 4 years....what do they want from me?

2- I am married with a thai lady, they just give me maximum 3 month Non Immigrant visa, what is that? It is a pitance? I'm not begging anyonoe, I am married with a thai! Why only 3 month? No sense... really no sense...

no , its MORE than once in One year

It is not more. If you come here with a simple double entry visa you have already 4 months ,even without using the extension. In 2 years it totals 8 months. Enough to be RED STAMPED and warned your time in Thailand is end. All that because one holiday a year. Congratulations, Thailand !

The only country in the world who said to tourists "Don't ever come back here. We don't want you".

Good news for Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc.... They must be laughing like crazy.

1- If I do not work, my whole life is an holiday... and I like to stay as a turist 4 years....what do they want from me?

2- I am married with a thai lady, they just give me maximum 3 month Non Immigrant visa, what is that? It is a pitance? I'm not begging anyonoe, I am married with a thai! Why only 3 month? No sense... really no sense...