Disabled have pension too young retirement visa

I'd say you're out of luck and you'd better deal with that now - while you can before you or your wife get told; "No! You're not coming in."

It sounds harsh but it's the unfortunate truth and no matter how much wishing you put in - it's not going to change. It is, as other posters have said, time to look to live elsewhere. Cambodia is cheap, you can access the medicines you need cheaply and neither you nor your wife will have problems with visas. Ecuador is cheap, you should have little issue getting both of you in there too. Laos, is a pain, and I suspect it's not the perfect destination for anyone but a small handful of folks - it's an immensely frustrating nation because of the combination of Laos laidback-ness and the communist regime's bureaucracy. Malaysia is probably not an option - though medical care in Malaysia is cheap but getting a leave to stay permanently is harder there than in LoS.

You cannot "piggyback" on your wife's ED-visa if you get one in Thailand and you are unlikely to get any other form of permanent visa you can afford. I'm sorry for that - it's not fair but it is a fact. Good luck.

So, for me to get an O as dependent, she has to get the Ed visa from another country's Thai embassy, not by being in Thailand already and traveling to another country for the visa?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say you're out of luck and you'd better deal with that now - while you can before you or your wife get told; "No! You're not coming in."

It sounds harsh but it's the unfortunate truth and no matter how much wishing you put in - it's not going to change. It is, as other posters have said, time to look to live elsewhere. Cambodia is cheap, you can access the medicines you need cheaply and neither you nor your wife will have problems with visas. Ecuador is cheap, you should have little issue getting both of you in there too. Laos, is a pain, and I suspect it's not the perfect destination for anyone but a small handful of folks - it's an immensely frustrating nation because of the combination of Laos laidback-ness and the communist regime's bureaucracy. Malaysia is probably not an option - though medical care in Malaysia is cheap but getting a leave to stay permanently is harder there than in LoS.

You cannot "piggyback" on your wife's ED-visa if you get one in Thailand and you are unlikely to get any other form of permanent visa you can afford. I'm sorry for that - it's not fair but it is a fact. Good luck.

So, for me to get an O as dependent, she has to get the Ed visa from another country's Thai embassy, not by being in Thailand already and traveling to another country for the visa?

They won't give you a dependent's visa for someone holding an ED-visa. No chance whatsoever. Dependent's visas are for people with legally working spouses, parents, etc.

Why so negative about the US? In the US you can get your drugs paid for by Medicare and 75K means about $2400. You can live in a place like FL well on that.

Agree with that. Plus, depending on what State you choose. You might be eligible for food stamps, rent & utility subsidies, since you are disabled, a free bus pass, and maybe Medicaid.

Hawaii would be a good choice, especially since you have a Filipino wife. Many Filipino people live in Hawaii. Your wife will love it. And, most probably will find it easier to obtain employment. Especially in the Hotel Industry.

Everyone thinks Hawaii is super expensive, however, once you get the lay of the land... You'll find it no more expensive, than other desirable States to live in. Having lived there for 22 years, the Big Island of Hawaii is probably the most affordable. Oahu is probably the most convenient. IMO.

Check out these links:

http://www.honolulu.gov/parks/dprpom.html

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/

From the little I know about Parkinson's, it is a manageable, yet progressive disease.

IMO. Asia or any third world country is not a place to retire to with what you have.

They won't give you a dependent's visa for someone holding an ED-visa. No chance whatsoever. Dependent's visas are for people with legally working spouses, parents, etc.

You are wrong.

From police order 777/2551

2.11 In the case of being a family member of an alien who has been permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom for enrollment in an educational institution according to Clauses 2.8 or 2.9 hereof (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children): Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) The alien must have proof of relationship.

(3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto; or

(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children, adopted children, and spouse’s children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age;

• Like 1

Ummm... yes, they are, but no for me. I have Parkinsons and the meds are unavailable there mostly and the few that are cost more than my pension. Not to mention I HAATE living there.

Any constructive ideas for staying?

did you and mrs. ever try your home country? do you have a reliable, affordable health service there?

Maybe we will both take Thai lessons for now. Some of the law agencies say can get retirement at 45 - 2.5years from now. Is there a Thai school where we can pay one semester at a time instead of the full year?

Cambodia, I think, would not offer the quality of life we like, and the likelihood of them having Parkinson's meds cheaply is slim, but we will check it out. Mexico or other S.Am. countries would cost too much in flights and moving expenses.

Ummm... yes, they are, but no for me. I have Parkinsons and the meds are unavailable there mostly and the few that are cost more than my pension. Not to mention I HAATE living there.

Can't you just import the meds into the Phils?

That is easy in the USA, but Thailand and Phils stop them at customs. We tried smile.png

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Also, your wife may be able to get dependent benefits if she is your caretaker? Not sure about that one, but she would need to live in the US for a certain number a years to qualify for survivor benefits. Just something to keep in mind OP.

I sympathize with you as I am in a similar situation. Send me a PM if need be.

did you and mrs. ever try your home country? do you have a reliable, affordable health service there?

The problems with USA are many, not the least of which is cost of living, but the doctors will not give me the medicines that work and instead want me to take the experimental meds. Those mess my mind up SO BAD that I don't even know who I am. Medicare does not pay for all of the meds, there is a limit on $ amount and limited to certain meds. Need a car to go anywhere or rent is $1k+ to live in city... 100 reasons why want to avoid that option if I can.

Phils is simply not a good, healthy place for me. 100 reasons, some mentioned above. The visa is super easy being married to a native, but that is the least of my worries there.

We had plans to build a boat and sail around to many countries, but time is running out suddenly. Because of the savings of daily living, we could buy 6mo or more of meds each time we take off.

I am betting we will go the ed visa route for both of us, and hope we can do it in 3mo intervals instead of 1yr payments.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Also, your wife may be able to get dependent benefits if she is your caretaker? Not sure about that one, but she would need to live in the US for a certain number a years to qualify for survivor benefits. Just something to keep in mind OP.

I sympathize with you as I am in a similar situation. Send me a PM if need be.

I will reply here for now so others know the status on spouse benefits. There are none in USA unless you have children even if spouse is your caretaker. We are working on children :) and when we have one, my benefits go up 50%. Spouse caretakers can sue SSA for payment after death of the diseased if they kept an accurate journal of everything they did like every diaper changed, meal fed by hand, etc. but I don't even need caretaking yet and Parkinsons does not shorten one's life.

Maybe we will both take Thai lessons for now. Some of the law agencies say can get retirement at 45 - 2.5years from now. Is there a Thai school where we can pay one semester at a time instead of the full year?

Cambodia, I think, would not offer the quality of life we like, and the likelihood of them having Parkinson's meds cheaply is slim, but we will check it out. Mexico or other S.Am. countries would cost too much in flights and moving expenses.

So now you are 42.5 years old and will retire at 45. Before you said you were 33 with 6.5 years to retire.

Hmmmmm....something is not quite right here.

I recommended Malaysia,

check out: http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_My_Second_Home

Another option is Cambodia. Just across the border from Hat Lek is Koh Kong, which is definitely better than what I have seen in The Philippines.

Cambodia has a no hassle visa extension scheme (so does Laos), there are lots of farangs there, and the medical care you require is only a couple of hours away by road in Trat (Thailand). If you are living in Koh Kong frequent visa exempt trips to Thailand should not be a problem for you two.

On your budget you can easily afford to spend a month there to clear your passports of in-outs and check it out. I don't know if you will like it, however medicine there is as cheap as Thailand. I haven't been there in a couple of years.

More thoughts... if you money comes from overseas you need to talk to your bank and get a form called a TT3. It proves your life supporting income comes from overseas. It would be ammunition for you to fire at the border guards.

Also if you are on a disability pension I would recommend that you get an affidavit confirming that from your embassy as more ammunition to assure the border guards that you are not working illegally.

I hope I have given you some ideas.

I don't really know Malaysia that well, but reading the immigration regulations, if I were you, i would make my home there. Medical attention is as good and not that much more expensive than in Thailand and the climate is similar. You seem to have all the financial qualifications and I take it that you have some medical insurance cover (one of the qualification of the Malaysian immigration) whilst in Malaysia.

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do!

Thailand's cost of living is much lower than the EU, UK or USA for people on a fixed income. I think the Thai government should do a rethink on immigration for people who have sufficient and verifiable means of income, much like for the retirement visa because they are a one way flow of money into the Thai economy. They pay rent, buy food, clothing and necessities, dine out and all this goes into the economy unlike high end tourists who patronize the multinational hotels and resorts where a large portion of profits are repatriated and thus nontaxable.

• Like 2

Thailand's cost of living is much lower than the EU, UK or USA for people on a fixed income. I think the Thai government should do a rethink on immigration for people who have sufficient and verifiable means of income, much like for the retirement visa because they are a one way flow of money into the Thai economy. They pay rent, buy food, clothing and necessities, dine out and all this goes into the economy unlike high end tourists who patronize the multinational hotels and resorts where a large portion of profits are repatriated and thus nontaxable.

I agree, the Philippines has a such a visa if you are over 35 with a $1500 pention, but Thailand you must be 50.

She could study in Ramkhamhaeng's International Program. There are a few Filipinos studying as well as people from all around the world. She could string out a Bachelor's degree over 5 years (the max limit, i believe).

I just finished a B.A. English. It would be piece of cake for a Filipino (lots of Thais there too).

They also offer business degrees and mass communication degrees.

The total cost is about 230,000 for the degree. I did it over 3 years. It worked out at about 6k per month. All the teachers, except one, are western. The Thai teacher only teaches the mandatory Thai courses. Decent education for Thailand (you are actually encouraged to think for yourself and be creative).

The visa is a breeze because it's Ramkhamhaeng University, not some language school just making money off visas.

Although, it can be quite demanding. Lots of projects and assignments. Having to speak and give presentations to a class of 100+ students. It can be fun though.

I don't know how old you wife is, but there are quite a few older students (up to about 50 years old, some of them).

The evening&weekend program has more mature students and smaller class sizes. The daytime program has mostly 18-22 year olds with a few senior guys and gals sprinkled in.

It could be an option anyway - if you really wanna stay in Thailand. The university is, of course, located in the Ramkamhaeng area of Bangkok.

Google IIS-RU (Institute of International Studies at Ramkhamhaeng University)

Edited by Water Buffalo

sorry i have not read all the post's back to you but option is to purchase thai elite card which is bat thb2 mill for 20 years...

or a friend told me there is the same card for 5 years but thb500,000 which you can upgrade to at a certain stage for the balance funds..

maybe look into this if someone else hasn't mentioned this already to you...

good luck

500 000 baht? Where have you heard that?

This is what i read on their website:

5.1 Membership Fee

THB 2,000,000 (two million Baht only) exclusive of value added tax per Membership or an equivalent amount in USD pursuant to the Exchange rate which will be notified by the Company or the Sales Agent (as the case may be) to the applicant/ the Member.

5.2 Annual Fee

THB 20,000 (twenty thousand Baht only) exclusive of value added tax per annum or an equivalent amount in USD pursuant to the Exchange rate which will be notified by the Company or the Sales Agent (as the case may be) to the applicant/ the Member.

5.3 Membership Transfer Fee

The Membership transfer fee shall be at the rate of twenty (20) percent of prevailing rate exclusive of value added tax.

5.4 Card Reissuing Fee

THB 4,000 (four thousand Baht only) exclusive of value added tax or an equivalent amount in USD pursuant to the Exchange rate which will be notified by the Company or the Sales Agent (as the case may be) to the applicant/ the Member.

So now you are 42.5 years old and will retire at 45. Before you said you were 33 with 6.5 years to retire.

Hmmmmm....something is not quite right here.

Lol. Glad you caught that. I am 43.5 years, so only 1.5 years to go for an "early" retirement visa. Parkinsons affects cognitive more than physical - must be one of my bad days.

You are wrong.

From police order 777/2551

2.11 In the case of being a family member of an alien who has been permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom for enrollment in an educational institution according to Clauses 2.8 or 2.9 hereof (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children): Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) The alien must have proof of relationship.

(3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto; or

(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children, adopted children, and spouse’s children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age;

And I just got emailed the following from one of the schools:

"Answer : about Non- O visa, you can apply the visa along with when your wife apply ED visa at Thai embassy/ consulate outside Thailand.

The required documents are as follows:

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
  • Visa application form completely filled out
  • Recent (4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant
  • Company or school's guarantee letter addressed to the Royal Thai embassy stating that the applicant is spouse or family members of those working or studying in Thailand
  • Copy of passport pages of those working or studying in Thailand. The passport pages should include personal data page and Thai visa page.
  • Copy of Thai Work Permit or Student I.D.
  • Copy of marriage certificate "

Listen, just an idea, but you may look into this further. Spain has a simpler procedure to get citizenship for people who have a passport from their former colonies (indcluding Philippines, oc course). In my opinion it is a great Country, very unexpensive, warm weather if you go to Andalusia or Canary Islands.

I have a EU passport, so I have no idea how it works to get a visa at frist (your wife could apply for citzenship after only 2 years of legal residence), but in my opinion you should look into this.

I wish you all the best!

I am also on a similar disability pension but on a retirement Visa and living with a Philipina gf who is working so I can understand your dilemma but with all the changes going on in Thailand now with border, Visa and duty crack downs even we are considering living in Chile now. Good luck with a solution mate.

You will find that Chile is much more expensive to live than in Thailand...

Did you know that you can get a non immigrant O Medical Visa on about the same terms and conditions as a Retirement visa? Frankly I shocked that ppl have used border runs to stay in the country for years when they jus have to read the Thai immigration website and do the paper work.

The Kingdom of Thailand's immigration website is a bit hard to navigate. Previously you entered by tapping on a picture of the King, then they posted information on the same topic on different pages! But all the options are there for those who seek will surely find the right visa to suit them.

(Some of the law agencies say can get retirement at 45) Are you sure you don't mean 50? I cant say I have heard of a retirement visa for 45 year olds.

Phnom Penh is a very liveable city, and so is Diem Reap. Beaches are not far away. All meds available around the same price as Thailand. Medical facilities not as available except path labs, eye docs and dentistry is very good and very cheap. Locals go to Vietnam for specialist treatment. Left hand drive, low cost of living, suitable for Americans and Phillipinas.