Typhoon Rammasun: Flash flood warning issued for 35 Thai provinces during July 17-21

webfact

maybe they should also warn not to burn forests anymore, big cause of mudslides

Didn't you hear? Two years ago an impressive group of Thai scholars and researches concluded that landslides and flood were caused by TRIBAL PEOPLE planting crops in the hill country. It's not the RAIN of course.

• Like 1

A map would be nice, showing the location and path of the storm cell. Or perhaps a link to such a thing. Thanks.

Posted earlier in the thread:

http://www.usno.navy.mil/NOOC/nmfc-ph/RSS/jtwc/warnings/wp0914.gif

And no, it is obviously not going to "hit" Thailand. Just another spectacular TV title.

Edit: Oh wait, I see the mods changed the thread title from Deadly Typhoon to Hit Thailand to something that is now accurate.

Edited by bubba

Just more of the sensational headliners that this country is so fond of with little or any consequence for Thailand with the exception of some rainfall. As this is already the wet season there is little newsworthy information to be gleamed.

No, "deadly typhoon Rammasun" is not going to "hit Thailand". What a misleading and spectacular title.

Have a look at the projected tracking map from the link below:

The storm will make landfall in northern Vietnam, and the dissipate over far northern Vietnam and China. It will not "hit Thailand", but the circulation will enhance the normal southwestern monsoonal flow and we will likely see some more rain from that, but we will not see a tropical storm crossing Thailand.

I agree - and this projection shows it well

post-68308-0-43731300-1405510631_thumb.j

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hello,

I have a flight to singapore on 18 July, should i cancel ?

Interesting to read that someone actually ask TV members for advice whether to cancel a flight or not, any fortune teller out there to help this guy out?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hello,

Interesting to read that someone actually ask TV members for advice whether to cancel a flight or not, any fortune teller out there to help this guy out?

Maybe he's not flown in very bad weather, even though it looks like the report in nonsense. Go to the airport if it too dangerous to fly they wont fly

• Like 1

Hello,

I think he should cancel his flight...

rolleyes.gif

No, "deadly typhoon Rammasun" is not going to "hit Thailand". What a misleading and spectacular title.

Have a look at the projected tracking map from the link below:

The storm will make landfall in northern Vietnam, and the dissipate over far northern Vietnam and China. It will not "hit Thailand", but the circulation will enhance the normal southwestern monsoonal flow and we will likely see some more rain from that, but we will not see a tropical storm crossing Thailand.

I agree - and this projection shows it well

attachicon.gifTyphoon RAMMASUN.jpg

I think you will find it will track WNW across the south China and go across Hianan Island in the next 2 days or so

not coming anywhere near Thailand, more rain yes, raised sea/winds in the gulf of Thailand yes...

Thank you!! Talk about dishonest headlines, that one is a prize-winner. Typhoon Ramasun will NOT hit Thailand. Period.

In fact, all of Thailand is almost - almost - 100% safe from typhoons because of its location. Only the far South can very, very occasionally be hit by a freak typhoon veering far off course and moving across that area. Bangkok and central provinces, the Northeast and the North - it is simply impossible they can be hit by a typhoon simply because of their geographical position.

The FALLOUT from a typhoon - rain for sure - Thailand can and does get that. Apart from the far South it NEVER has been hit by a typhoon and won't be. Al Gore himself couldn't bring a typhoon to Bangkok.

• Like 1

Thank you!! Talk about dishonest headlines, that one is a prize-winner. Typhoon Ramasun will NOT hit Thailand. Period.

In fact, all of Thailand is almost - almost - 100% safe from typhoons because of its location. Only the far South can very, very occasionally be hit by a freak typhoon veering far off course and moving across that area. Bangkok and central provinces, the Northeast and the North - it is simply impossible they can be hit by a typhoon simply because of their geographical position.

The FALLOUT from a typhoon - rain for sure - Thailand can and does get that. Apart from the far South it NEVER has been hit by a typhoon and won't be. Al Gore himself couldn't bring a typhoon to Bangkok.

As to areas which would be in the track of a typhoon in Thailand and surrounding areas imagine a triangle with Koh Samui at its apex, draw one line towards Phoem Penh and another line running down the coast of Thailand roughly parallel with the coast out to sea, the area enclosed by the "triangle" is the area where you will typically get typhoons tracking across if they are heading towards Thailand

I think you need to talk to your friends at the weather station tomorrow

Thai provinces affected by typhoon Rammasun

By Digital Content

BUENG KAN, July 16 -- Typhoon Rammasun is impacting many provinces in the Thailand's Northeast, while the South is facing heavy rains and big waves.

In the Northeast, persistent rains have quickly raised the level of the Mekong River in Bueng Kan province.

Elsewhere in the Northeast, in Buri Ram province, local authorities warned of heavy rains, flash foods, landslides and runoffs in four districts.

In Sakon Nakhon, officials opened three sluice gates in the center of the province to accelerate drainage from Nong Han Lake into the Mekong River to prevent flooding in the Nong Han community and local farmland but the drainage is slow due to the high level of the river.

In the South, runoff hit restaurants and homes near the Krabi Yai Canal in Krabi province late last night. Local residents have been warned of possible flash floods and runoff in the next few days due to persistent rains.

In Trang province, a seaside road in Koh Sukorn subdistrict of Palian district was damaged at about 10 locations and the subdistrict was declared a disaster-stricken area. (MCOT online news)

[###url=0]

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So I've go tot get a ticket to Northern Vietnam for the wife ?

No just get her on a Malaysian flight to China

Absolutely correct as I have also been tracking this typhoon... [edited]

[edited] ... Have to say here in Rayong we have had little rain so far this rainy season. Despite the met office here keep saying most days that there is an 80 to 100% chance of precipitation and thunderstorms we have hardly seen any, so very inaccurate forecasts so far for this area. If they daily predict an 80% chance of precipitation then I would expect for 4 out or 5 days statistically to have rain but not any rain to talk of here for even 1 day in 5 lately. rolleyes.gif

Still need plenty of rain here, even my well water level is too far down for my simple single pipe pump to work so have to rely on crap and relatively dirty low pressure town water and often no water in the busy morning peak demand period. Trouble is there is suc h poor municipal planning that they allow loads of new houses to be built without considering the supply of things like water and electricity first. In the UK they will not give building permission until they are happy that such utility supplies like water and town waste water and sewerage needs are suitably improved to cope. A primary reason for planning permission of course and not as here where it seems likely that is is used to put tea money in a few local municipal officers pockets with littel attetnion paid to the logistics. So stupid and something I think this good Junta Government is now tryng to honestly tackle to put this to rights here in Thailand

"In the UK they will not give building permission until they are happy that such utility supplies like water and town waste water and sewerage needs are suitably improved to cope... "

Forgive me for saying this, but what an absolute load. Britain has plenty of difficulties with water supplies, and it's probably going to get worse as the population increases. Britain too, struggles with planning while beset by the ravenous needs of a neoliberal growth economy that never admits to limits. I don't deny that Thailand is notoriously poor at planning, but the patronizing tone here deserves calling out.

UK gets water shortage warning

Much of England and Wales could face serious water shortages next year unless there is significant rainfall over the winter months, the Environment Agency warned.

The recent wet weather has done little to replenish water levels in rivers and reservoirs already low after one of the driest periods on record.

Six water companies have already initiated drought management plans to ensure supplies to customers remain unaffected.

The Environment Agency says the situation will not improve unless there is 120% of the average rainfall between now and next April...

The Environment Agency recently granted Thames Water two drought permits, allowing it to increase abstraction from the River Thames and a groundwater source for the next four months.

Decisions are awaited on applications for permits from United Utilities and South East Water, while Southern Water, Severn Trent, and Welsh Water are all expected to ask for permits...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-202817/UK-gets-water-shortage-warning.html

Absolutely correct as I have also been tracking this typhoon... [edited]

[edited] ... Have to say here in Rayong we have had little rain so far this rainy season. Despite the met office here keep saying most days that there is an 80 to 100% chance of precipitation and thunderstorms we have hardly seen any, so very inaccurate forecasts so far for this area. If they daily predict an 80% chance of precipitation then I would expect for 4 out or 5 days statistically to have rain but not any rain to talk of here for even 1 day in 5 lately. rolleyes.gif

Still need plenty of rain here, even my well water level is too far down for my simple single pipe pump to work so have to rely on crap and relatively dirty low pressure town water and often no water in the busy morning peak demand period. Trouble is there is suc h poor municipal planning that they allow loads of new houses to be built without considering the supply of things like water and electricity first. In the UK they will not give building permission until they are happy that such utility supplies like water and town waste water and sewerage needs are suitably improved to cope. A primary reason for planning permission of course and not as here where it seems likely that is is used to put tea money in a few local municipal officers pockets with littel attetnion paid to the logistics. So stupid and something I think this good Junta Government is now tryng to honestly tackle to put this to rights here in Thailand

"In the UK they will not give building permission until they are happy that such utility supplies like water and town waste water and sewerage needs are suitably improved to cope... "

Forgive me for saying this, but what an absolute load. Britain has plenty of difficulties with water supplies, and it's probably going to get worse as the population increases. Britain too, struggles with planning while beset by the ravenous needs of a neoliberal growth economy that never admits to limits. I don't deny that Thailand is notoriously poor at planning, but the patronizing tone here deserves calling out.

UK gets water shortage warning

Much of England and Wales could face serious water shortages next year unless there is significant rainfall over the winter months, the Environment Agency warned.

The recent wet weather has done little to replenish water levels in rivers and reservoirs already low after one of the driest periods on record.

Six water companies have already initiated drought management plans to ensure supplies to customers remain unaffected.

The Environment Agency says the situation will not improve unless there is 120% of the average rainfall between now and next April...

The Environment Agency recently granted Thames Water two drought permits, allowing it to increase abstraction from the River Thames and a groundwater source for the next four months.

Decisions are awaited on applications for permits from United Utilities and South East Water, while Southern Water, Severn Trent, and Welsh Water are all expected to ask for permits...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-202817/UK-gets-water-shortage-warning.html

Sure a valid point indeed, I agree with you. But in my defence the point about local planning permission is that it is far better in the UK than here where there has been more concern as to how much money some officials can put in their back pocket rather than prosecuting the task intended to ensure extra demand of all pubic utilities serving the area is first met with extra supplies laid on. Generally Thailand has much more rainfall than the UK so should be no excuse here except in exceptional weather conditions, and certainly there is no water shortage in my area currently.

So I agree in the UK as the main national supplies from the reservoirs and main storages (no not the local supply distribution which govern building planning permissions and what I am referring to ) have been very bad especially when we have had several years of abnormal drought. Sure I have also been a big complainer about the UK's long time lack of building more reservoirs and this is higher up the chain than local planning, and where the main fault is due to greedy miserly private companies owning what should be a publicly owned and better run service. Big problem came with the stupid privatisation of these vital and monopolistic by nature utility industries by the Thatcher bitch. Where we now have it that private company profits of the water utility owners mean more than the public service they suppose to be fulfilling. ALL utility industries should in ALL countries be run by the state and run properly as a public service paid for from tax revenues and answerable directly to the people. I believe this is mainly state owned in Thailand but I am not sure on that score.

So I was talking about local planning where in the UK they do not build new housing estates or industrial ones without first making sure the utility infrastructure is in place. In Thailand we get this no or low water due to being unable to meet peak demand even when the reservoirs are well full and there is no water shortage. That is solely down to bad building planning permissions. So I stand by what I said.

I am out of touch with the UK now as lived here for 11 years now and never been back, but I understand that planning permission for new housing and industrial developments is still very strict and correctly run and applied over there. Renationalise the utilities like water and a good Government can then ensure revenue is diverted to building new reservoirs and storage and te necessary infrastructure without having to be primarily concerned to bloody private profit levels and money making which sucks in such industries. One day we will all learn that some industries are totally unsuitable for private ownership as leads to corruption and in the end a resultant suffering to the general public.

Sorry for this is serious thread drift. whistling.gifw00t.gif Now lets bring on this forecast rain and get our reservoirs topped up and my well working again too hmm biggrin.png

It just passed through manila yesterday the 16th of July, I know this because i am in Manila, so how the hell did it get to Thailand on the same day,,,coffee1.gif

It din't...

I think the staff at the metrological office were looking at the wong peice of seaweed that hangs up out side thair office. The Seaweed out side my home near Pattaya said its dry weather for at least 3 more days.

• Like 1

is Bangkok safe from this?

Of course not. Bangkok is at nearly sea level? How could a coastal city at sea level ever be safe from an approaching typhoon? Only safe if it bypassed the city or diminished sufficiently.

Spidermike007

Coastal city or not BKK is was will be safe from THIS storm as was asked

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app