Wine in Chiang Mai

CMHomeboy78

This is actually a two-part topic: [A] Where in Chiang Mai to find good selections of wine?... and Vineyards in Northern Thailand.

My brother is coming for a visit soon. He likes his vino and is quite knowledgeable about it as well. He seems to favor certain kinds from Chile and Australia, as well as the familiar European and California wines.

The selection in Rim Ping near the iron bridge looks good, and it's close to where we live. Where else in town could be recommended?

Topic B: Vineyards in Northern Thailand that welcome visitors.

Any information at all would be appreciated; as well as evaluations of specific vintages. I drink wine myself occasionally and usually enjoy it, but I'm far from being knowledgeable about it.

Frankly, I've never tasted a Thai wine that I've really liked. Maybe someone could recommend a good one, and a vineyard that would be enjoyable to visit.

Thanks for any help.

Anybody know where in Thailand I could buy

Lambrusco or Sangria wine, Would prefer

Riuinite Lambrusco if possible but any would do

B4 the negative comments start Yes I understand

I'm a low brow village idiot ...Yes I know these are

not "connoisseur" la te da wines. I don't want

to drink wine to impress ...... I just want to drink it

because I like the taste of it, and the wine taste I

like is Lambrusco and Sangria

Edited by carken

Wine Terminal often has a wine buffet - https://www.facebook.com/wine.terminal.thailand

Also a list of wine buffets in Chiang Mai but the list is a year old so not sure of current validity - http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=3763

Has anyone been to one of these wine buffets? It looks like, with the possible exception of the Meridian with the 1350 baht buffet, that all these places limit you to house wine.

My experience with house wines in Chiang Mai has not been good. I guess my question should be: Has anyone been to a wine buffet with drinkable wines?

The wine industry in Thailand is in it's infancy and the just slowly figuring it all out. As it takes time for root stock to acclimatize etc. the products are not especially good yet. I suggest while traveling on should seek out and enjoy the what is good where one is and wine would not qualify as that here. The imported wines are probably much more expensive then where brother lives due to the high taxes and anyways wine doesn't really pair well with Thai cuisine. France, Italy and Napa Valley are my preferred places to go for good wine though there are many wonderful varietals in many other places around the world with good food to match. As a connoisseur I expect your brother would understand that and want to delve into the wonderful local food culture with a Lao Khao and glass of beer.

Beer Lao Dark is a good brew to try for instance and it's an experience trying some of the different local rice wine whiskeys. That being said my favorite winery in the Kingdom, though not in the North, is Hua Hin Vineyards as they have been around a while, have the financial backing to attract expert vinters and make wine to suit the international consumer, not just the sweet preference of the Thai palette.

When Rome do as the Chiang Maians do! burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

• Like 1

The wine industry in Thailand is in it's infancy and the just slowly figuring it all out. As it takes time for root stock to acclimatize etc. the products are not especially good yet. I suggest while traveling on should seek out and enjoy the what is good where one is and wine would not qualify as that here. The imported wines are probably much more expensive then where brother lives due to the high taxes and anyways wine doesn't really pair well with Thai cuisine. France, Italy and Napa Valley are my preferred places to go for good wine though there are many wonderful varietals in many other places around the world with good food to match. As a connoisseur I expect your brother would understand that and want to delve into the wonderful local food culture with a Lao Khao and glass of beer.

Beer Lao Dark is a good brew to try for instance and it's an experience trying some of the different local rice wine whiskeys. That being said my favorite winery in the Kingdom, though not in the North, is Hua Hin Vineyards as they have been around a while, have the financial backing to attract expert vinters and make wine to suit the international consumer, not just the sweet preference of the Thai palette.

When Rome do as the Chiang Maians do! burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

Thanks for that information.

As a beer drinker myself, I agree with you about the Beer Lao Dark. But what I really miss is Mekhong Whiskey, distilled from 95% sugarcane/molasses and 5% rice. Remember when it was really cheap and available in every other shophouse in every soi in town? Mekhong, soda, and the juice of a manao on ice. It tasted like a good rum drink. Then it was bought-out by Sangsom in 2010 and they stopped producing it... no doubt to boost sales of their own stinking rotgut. It eventually came back, but at a much higher price. Well over 300 baht, when it used to be 120, and at 300+ baht per bottle it didn't seem to taste the same. Thus joining so many other things that have become "Chiang Mai memories."

Also thanks for the tip about Hua Hin Vineyard. I'm suprised there has been zero-input about vineyards/wineries in the north. Don't they exist? I thought they did.

Anyway, choke dee.

• Like 1

As wine's lover, I strongly suggest "Buonissimo" in ChangKlan Rd.

Thanks for that recommendation. We'll give it a try.

Have you ever heard of a vineyard/winery in Northern Thailand?

Nobody on this forum seems to know... or if they do, they're not telling.

That's exactly what I was looking for.

The Chiang Rai Winery could be done in an easy day trip, and combined with a visit to the hot springs at Pong Din and the other big one that has become something of a tourist trap - forget the name.

Thanks again for your help.

This is actually a two-part topic: [A] Where in Chiang Mai to find good selections of wine?... and Vineyards in Northern Thailand.

My brother is coming for a visit soon. He likes his vino and is quite knowledgeable about it as well. He seems to favor certain kinds from Chile and Australia, as well as the familiar European and California wines.

The selection in Rim Ping near the iron bridge looks good, and it's close to where we live. Where else in town could be recommended?

Topic B: Vineyards in Northern Thailand that welcome visitors.

Any information at all would be appreciated; as well as evaluations of specific vintages. I drink wine myself occasionally and usually enjoy it, but I'm far from being knowledgeable about it.

Frankly, I've never tasted a Thai wine that I've really liked. Maybe someone could recommend a good one, and a vineyard that would be enjoyable to visit.

Thanks for any help.

To answer Part B - I'd go to GranMonte winery in Khao Yai, their Rosé is quite good as is their Viognier. Accept visitors and have accommodation.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To answer Part B - I'd go to GranMonte winery in Khao Yai, their Rosé is quite good as is their Viognier. Accept visitors and have accommodation.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've often heard that there are many good wineries near Khao Yai. It seems to be to Thailand what Napa Valley is to California.

Thanks for your input.

Ditto on the posts regarding the Hua Hin Vineyard. They are the closest thing to a Napa or Sonoma tour I've seen in Thailand and they have a nice little restaurant with wine samples/tastings in conjunction with some appropriate appetizers. A nice way to spend an afternoon. As one poster said, the wine industry is in it's infancy here in Thailand. I like Zinfandels and I haven't tasted anything that even comes close to the California's I'm use to, although the Wine Connection carries a "7 Deadly Zins" that's not bad and I believe Dukes carries a Gnarly Zin that's also good. I doubt anyone in Thailand has planted these and I'm also doubtful as to the end results due to Thailand's climate? I'm sure I won't be buying any "Old Vine" selections here anytime soon! Plus I'm sure most wine consumers here know they're probably paying 3 or 4 times more for some wines they buy back home! The 7 Deadly Zins price back home is about $12 compared to about $35-$40 (1200 Baht) here.

Kafe Vino at Think Park opposite Maya probably has the cheapest for quality wine going now. 349b for a LITRE of decent South African/Aus and Chilean plonk!

Is it sold in a bottle, or does one turn up with large plastic bag & elastic band?

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

The wine situation here is an absolute disgrace. Quite a bit worse than the liquor situation. I used to get 7 year old bottles of Charles Krug CS for 5 USD in California. What I see people drinking here is more silly than hot dogs for breakfast, at least the hot dogs aren't taxed 400%.

• Like 1

So not one for the refined palate maybe, but I picked up a 3 litre box at Rimping Promenada, from their large selection.

Bodegas Valley, Australian, blend of semillon and sauvignon grape -and fruit juice to beat the tax man,although the only 'fruit' I detect is grape. So not sure how much they have to add to qualify for lower tax but it does not detract from my enjoyment at all.

And at 599 for 3 litres/4 bottle equivalent it's very gluggable.

• Like 2

So not one for the refined palate maybe, but I picked up a 3 litre box at Rimping Promenada, from their large selection.

Bodegas Valley, Australian, blend of semillon and sauvignon grape -and fruit juice to beat the tax man,although the only 'fruit' I detect is grape. So not sure how much they have to add to qualify for lower tax but it does not detract from my enjoyment at all.

Right. Also, it's not like they take wine and add fruit juice to it. They start with grape juice (like all wine, with grape also being a fruit) and using juice from similar fruits to also ferment into wine. The result really is just wine, not some kind of fruity concoction.