Diabetes and blood pressure machines

emilymat

Not trying to be lazy, I have looked everywhere I think in Pattaya. I want to buy the home testing kit for diabetes and a blood pressure machine. In the UK they can be purchased at Boots etc. but asking staff here in the chemists for info, they look at me as though I'm from Mars.

I have 4 brothers, 3 of whom have diabetes.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks people.

P.s. Would it be more economical just to go to a clinic or hospital. Cheers

Blood pressure devices ARE available at Boots and maybe Watsons even here in upcountry.

But I still ordered this machine through an online store:

http://www.ddmedicalshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=HEM-7211&category_id=0&product_id=116

Do a printout/hardcopy of the website and people will understand that you look for a blood pressure device.

Blood pressure device in Thai: เครื่องวัดความดันโลหิต

Print and take with you.

I just walked into a local Chemist on the beach road in Jomtien. Wanted test strips for my UK diabetic unit. She promptly pulled out 3 different type of machines and asked if mine was any of those. So they seem to be very easy to get.

Chris

Probably the oddest place in Pattaya that you would expect to find BP monitoring devices is Chic Republic furniture store on Sukhumvit. But they have them!.

This is so you can check yourself after seeing their furniture prices

Thanks to all those taking the trouble to reply. I got both machines this morning at Facsimoas recommended.

Sad bugger me. 7 years living here on the dark side and did not know that store was there. My only excuse is having to watch the road carefully when driving down Pattaya North.

• Like 1

For diabetes testing: best bet is the SD Codefree device, available at Fascino's also, test strips are 770 baht for 50 which is the biggest ongoing expense.

Until they stop selling strips, which has happened to me for 2 different glucometers.

I bought a Codefree for a friend early last year and the difference in readings between his Codefree and my EasyGluco meter were astounding. Over 20 dl/ml on every reading using the same blood sample for both meters.

I was so concerned I sent my meter to Bangkok for testing, as they don't stock control solutions here in Thailand. They don't even know what they are.

As a warning to people with big or fat upper arms - The upper arm "blood pressure machines" may not fit. The ones they sell here are only suitable for Asian sized arms.

I bought a wrist Omron meter at Fascino back a few years. I noticed they no longer stock them. I wanted a new one because mine had corroded as I had left the batteries in and not used it for a longwhile.

It may be a good idea to by a Farang-sized machine online.