PowerCommander for z800

wowjudo

Hello

I plan to get a PCv for my z800 (has a titanium gp1 scorpion slip-on only + kn air filter)

This would be the first time for me getting a PCv and install it ( I have to install it myself since i live in an area with no big bike tuner within the next 300 km)

Is it really worth to get it ? I dont plan to get a full exhaust.

Is it easy to install myself and what is needed besides the PCv unit. I heard something about an auto tuner

Any advice appreciated

cheers

I have no experience with PC, but the programmer that I've been working with requires a computer with interface cable and programming software. As well you will need maps for your current setup (like exhaust, air intake, etc...).

It's definitely worth installing but you would be better off getting a full exhaust and hi-flo air filter too. A Bazazz unit maybe better for you as this will give you traction control too. A PCV is better where you can use their dual autotune the Bazazz only has a single autotune but new units are now Bluetooth compatible.

In any case you really need a dyno to check your fuel curve and see what AFR works best for your bike, without a dyno you're working blind. There are a lot of other mods you will need to make too, dropping the exhaust solenoid valve and eliminating the closed loop O2 sensors and fitting exhaust block off plates etc.

RSD uses Woolrich Racing reflash mapping they mainly deal with Kawas. It's a good system.

Do your homework first. Power Speed Shop in BKK sell and fit both units and have proper dyno facilities.

I've ordered quickshifter from them (will get it somewhen this week) and will install this myself first.

I'll see if i can get somewhen to bangkok with my bike to tune it properly. Thanks for the advice ATF.

I'm just very unsure about the Traction controll bazzaz offers. Doesnt a proper Traction controll need sensors aswell etc ?

I've ordered quickshifter from them (will get it somewhen this week) and will install this myself first.

I'll see if i can get somewhen to bangkok with my bike to tune it properly. Thanks for the advice ATF.

I'm just very unsure about the Traction controll bazzaz offers. Doesnt a proper Traction controll need sensors aswell etc ?

Bazazz includes fuel, traction control and a q/s in one unit check their website for your bike.

If I owned your bike and had similar mods (which can benefit from a PC but not that much with your relatively mild changes) I'd look into an ECU flash. I have no personal experience with the companies mentioned in this thread (towards the bottom), but it's certainly worth researching:

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/39961-Kawasaki-Z800?highlight=Z800

The Bazazz unit would be a good choice if you plan to go beyond fueling as ATF mentioned, but an ECU flash can also change your ignition settings, and it sounds like the Z800 is in a mild state-of-tune from the factory and could really benefit from it. If I could go back a year, I wouldn't have installed a PC-V on my bike and would instead have changed my fueling through the ECU (though the PC allows finer adjustments at 250rpm intervals while the ECU works at 500rpm intervals)- as it sits now, the PC handles all my fueling changes and the ECU does everything else (with the fuel map still at the stock settings). This works fine, but it's one more thing that can possibly go wrong- I'll probably end up dumping the PC one of these days when I get the time and motivation to do it.;)

For the street and maybe even the track you don't really need any ignition changes just some fuel adjustments so a Dobeck EJK would do the job.

There is a guy called Randy in Bangkok who has a Dobeck AFR plus

m5H02Hk_SCLwKy1UiGJcxfQ.jpg

and would probably be happy to help with AFR optimization. You'd have to go to a track or find a suitable road though or i guess you could use dirt shop's dyno as Randy's dyno hasn't arrived yet.

If he is on the ball he might even chip in here!

Edited by VocalNeal

if you have a slip on and higher flowing k&n air filter, i think an aftermarket ecu sure benefits you. Anyway, now your bike runs lean without it - due to K&N air filter and slip on - and in the long run, it is not good for the engine. An aftermarket ecu will make things right by providing sufficient amounts of fuel for your current setup.

bazzaz offers traction control and quickshifter with their unit but theirs offer less adjustment - and sure you need to find and go to a bike shop that can do dyno tune for you.

Dynojet pcV is always a better product with a wider range of adjustment but no traction control. And i recommend you to get auto tuner with it so you do not need to deal with it much as it adjust itself automatically. And as you are living far away from major bike shops, it is a must for you.

Plus consider getting properly designed headers that can fit your pipe to make it a full system which will give you a better increase in performance but then you need to find ways to ways to handle O2 sensor as stated above.

And, where are the photos of your bike?rolleyes.gif

Edited by ll2

well maybe Chiang Mai has tuning shops with dyno

I live in Chiang Rai and nothing here regarding performance tuning. Most shops only do cosmetical stuff.

So since i got a hi-flow air filter + slip on a ecu flash would be enough right ? like RubberSideDown said.

I live in Chiang Rai and nothing here regarding performance tuning. Most shops only do cosmetical stuff.

So since i got a hi-flow air filter + slip on a ecu flash would be enough right ? like RubberSideDown said.

Probably- I don't know enough about your bike to say for sure, but it's a Kawi like mine and the ECU can be flashed easily.

All bikes roll off the line within a couple percent of each other and there aren't going to be appreciable differences from one go the next as far as a specific model goes (by that I mean your Z800 was essentially the same as the ones before and after it on the manufacturing line)- if you have similar mods as someone else with the same bike, their tune will probably work well on your bike (extreme elevation and manufacturing inconsistencies with aftermarket parts can be a factor, but generally this is true for all motorcycles). You can certainly go to the trouble of optimizing your particular system to your environmental parameters, but it most likely won't gain very much with basic mods over a pre-mapped tune.

There are several 'generic tunes' for my ZX-14R- I'm running one of them for both my PC and ECU, and my fueling is spot-on- now, I could go to the trouble of installing an auto-tuner and/or take it for dyno tuning and probably gain a couple horsepower, but I'm no longer chasing every last pony.

I think you might be better off looking into an ECU flash, but you might want to make sure you're more dialed-in- I just gave a suggestion based on my perspective- when I had my Hayabusa, it was professionally tuned and I know it was at the limit- with my bike now, I'm happy with the way it's running and I can't be bothered going beyond that- I'm lazier than I used to be.;)

• Like 2

ecu falsh is around 400 usd from what i read. pay 200 usd more and get dynojet with auto tune.

i also plan on getting a quickshifter.

so what i would need is

2284.jpg
Powercommander V
Part Number: 17-048
Price: $ 399.95
1613.jpg
AutoTune (Single Channel)
Part Number: AT-200
Price: $ 279.99
1761.jpg
PCV - Pressure Shift Sensor (Push Type)
Part Number: 4-114
Price: $ 219.99
810.jpg
Shift Rod B
Part Number: 32104050
Price: $ 12.99
these 4 things for the fuel tuning + quickshifter set ?
Edited by wowjudo

i also plan on getting a quickshifter.

so what i would need is

2284.jpg

Powercommander V

Part Number: 17-048

Price: $ 399.95

1613.jpg

AutoTune (Single Channel)

Part Number: AT-200

Price: $ 279.99

1761.jpg

PCV - Pressure Shift Sensor (Push Type)

Part Number: 4-114

Price: $ 219.99

810.jpg

Shift Rod B

Part Number: 32104050

Price: $ 12.99

these 4 things for the fuel tuning + quickshifter set ?

Exactly these are what you need. Quickshifter is not a must but it is one of the best mods money can buy.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would save the money on that auto-tune.

They are basically a marketing gimick

You cannot expect a single channel auto tune to read multi cylinders with

any degree of accuracy

Here is a German translated article shared by Gomyway awhile back

http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&tl=en&u=http://www.bdperformance.net/autotune_selfmapping.html

You will find many fine maps or even alter one yourself with the software provided

As to installing very easy to do yourself. I think mine took an hour with most of that being removing the full fairing etc

Dont forget to buy an O2 sensor shunting plug if not included in your kit.

Some are included & some not. Depends on where you buy your EFI tuner from Thailand or elsewhere

Lastly forget the dyno costs unless your eeking out every 1/10th hp for track racing

Edited by mania

I would save the money on that auto-tune.

They are basically a marketing gimick

You cannot expect a single channel auto tune to read multi cylinders with

any degree of accuracy

Here is a German translated article shared by Gomyway awhile back

http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&tl=en&u=http://www.bdperformance.net/autotune_selfmapping.html

You will find many fine maps or even alter one yourself with the software provided

As to installing very easy to do yourself. I think mine took an hour with most of that being removing the full fairing etc

Dont forget to buy an O2 sensor shunting plug if not included in your kit.

Some are included & some not. Depends on where you buy your EFI tuner from Thailand or elsewhere

Lastly forget the dyno costs unless your eeking out every 1/10th hp for track racing

The Dual Autotune works very well in V2 engines but the adjustment must be set to 3% or it will be jumping all over.

For four cylinders a single autotune will average between cylinders but obviously not as accurate.