Where's the cheapest place to buy pork in Chiang Mai?

DavidOxon

If the wild bore on offer here on this forum is not tasty enough for you, there is a market off the main highway from Chiang Mai to Lampang, about twenty kilometers before Lampang (as I dimly remember), famed for its right-out-of-the-jungle wild boar.

See (family-safe except for vegetarian cultists):

If you go whole-hog, I think you'll get a very special price.

cheers, ~o:37;

I was looking for cheaper than Makro.... minced pork is almost as expensive as loin: 147 - 160 baht a kilo!

I was just hoping that maybe someone who buys a lot would say 'ah yes, there's a little man I know down such and such a soi that butchers his own pigs and sells for 20% less than anywhere else'!.....

thanks,

D

I totally agree with you regarding the high price of pork.

Over the years my wife and I have searched Chiang Mai high and low for reasonable quality pork at reasonable prices but to no avail.

So we still have to buy all our meats at the local markets and in Makros. Whoever determines the price of pork in Chiang Mai has ensured that there are no ways of beating the fixed prices and is really a case of swings and roundabouts wherever we shop, or in other words they have us by the short and curlies.

I am not telling you porky pies.

Edited by Beetlejuice

If you saw the Intensive farming systems employed in, relatively restriction free, Thailand for raising pigs in the cheapest possible way, where they are routinely dosed with antibiotics and growth hormones you may not be so quick to save a few baht per kilo, especially on something you are going to put in your body.

• Like 1

If you saw the Intensive farming systems employed in, relatively restriction free, Thailand for raising pigs in the cheapest possible way, where they are routinely dosed with antibiotics and growth hormones you may not be so quick to save a few baht per kilo, especially on something you are going to put in your body.

Not only pigs.Chickens are now raised to full size in only 6-8 weeks and you can only do that with growth hormones.Free range, with no growth, hormones takes about 15- 20 weeks.

My daughter has long had a theory, supported by some in the medical profession, that the rising incidence of breast cancer in women, in some counties, is due to growth hormones,steroids and all the other junk animals are raised on.

• Like 1