Three dead in 3-vehicle smash in Krabi

webfact

Three dead in 3-vehicle smash in Krabi
Eakkapop Thongtub

KRABI: -- An accident involving two pick-up trucks and a bus resulted yesterday evening (July 16) in three deaths, including that of a three-month-pregnant woman.

Police and rescue volunteers arrived at the scene in front of the Makro Supermarket in Krabi Town at about 8.30pm to find a heavily damaged Mazda pickup in the middle of the road. Fifty metres away, also in the middle of the road was a crumpled Nissan pick-up truck.

Sticking out from a smashed-up food shop at the side of the road was the back end of a large bus that runs on the Trang-Phuket route.

All three people in the Mazda were severely injured and all died on the way to hospital. Ten more people from all three vehicles (the bus was packed full at the time) were hospitalised.

The dead were named as Pichaiyut Chaiyadech, 24, Peerapat Nuchuai, 28, and Laddawan Nun-on, 32, the pregnant woman. All three worked at a rubber factory in Krabi.

Witnesses told police that the Mazda slowed down to make a U-turn, possibly heading for the Makro supermarket.

The Nissan, following behind, rear-ended the Mazda, ramming it into the path of the bus, which was travelling in the opposite direction.

After hitting the Mazda, the bus veered off the road and ploughed into the food shop.

The drivers of the bus and the Nissan were taken to the police station for questioning.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/three-dead-in-3-vehicle-smash-in-krabi-47381.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-17

It's the worst flow of traffic I've seen in Thailand... Traffic flies down the highway at 80 to 120 kph in the fast lane. In order to do a U-Turn after shopping at Makro and get back to town, vehicles have to stop in the frickin' fast lane. Buses, white vans, trucks, and other clowns don't want to hit the brakes... they just swerve at the last second into another lane. Traffic behind these idiots sometimes cannot stop in time.

I expect many more accidents in front of Makro - please be careful and don't stop in the middle of the highway to turn around.

My solution is to not use the first area to u-turn, but keep driving in the fast lane until there is no oncoming traffic, and then I swing around quickly and u-turn at one of the other breaks in the road. I don't stop in the middle of the highway. I don't sit there waiting for oncoming traffic, which is coming VERY fast as well.

Traffic flow appears to be of little concern to whatever group is overseeing it. Does such a group even EXIST? Poor traffic planning is obvious all over Krabi, but hell, all over the country as well. Kind of like, who in their right minds would approve a 7-11 on a road where there is very heavy traffic and only 2 parking places in front of the store? Across the country... it's the norm.

The drivers of the bus and the Nissan were taken to the police station for questioning.

And as per normal the Nissan Driver will state and corroborated by his passengers, that it was the Mazda drivers fault.

Condolences to the families of the deceased, and hope the injured recover, but in reality, just a normal day in Thailand.

On the way to Phuket last week I saw two pickup trucks on their roofs under a bridge on the shortcut road in Ao luuk and I had one near miss.

The week before on the way to Surat, I saw one pick up on its roof in a ditch, a two car and bike bingle,a truck rollover and I had one near miss.

Just a normal day !! nothing to see here move along!!!

And when someone does o dsomething sensible like widening the road to create a slip lane for u-turning ( as they did outside of Krabi Tesco ), these chancers just make it now two lanes making the U-turn, still blocking the fast lane and making it even more dangerous !

• Like 1

And when someone does o dsomething sensible like widening the road to create a slip lane for u-turning ( as they did outside of Krabi Tesco ), these chancers just make it now two lanes making the U-turn, still blocking the fast lane and making it even more dangerous !

Agreed. I get really pi**ed at the people who don't want to queue in the U-turn lane so start pulling up on the left and in front of U-turn traffic. It's dangerous and slows the flow of traffic for cars queued in the proper lane making the U-turn. Wish cops would enforce road rules with substantial penalties to change people's bad behaviour.

Almost every time going past Makkro I see near misses with U-turn traffic. Surprised there are not more fatal accidents there.

Edited by juggernaut
  • Like 1