Visa confusion reigns - what visa?

At the end of this year, my (Thai) wife and I will be coming to LOS for a couple of months. We intend to fly into BKK, where we'll stay for maybe a week, and then we'd like to fly to Hanoi (neither of us have been to Vietnam before) for maybe a week, then back to BKK, and then probably straight to Ubon to spend some time with Mum and Dad. While we're staying in Ubon, we'd like to do a side trip (a few days) to Siem Reap to see Angkor, and maybe another to Lao to go to the Bolaven Plateau.

So I call the Thai Embassy here, and they tell me I can only get a 60 day single entry tourist visa, or a 90 day single entry non-imm O (based on my marriage) for €55, or a double entry 90 day non-imm O for €110. And that's it. Which means that we won't be able to do what we had planned, as a double entry means just one trip outside Thailand and no more.

There must surely be a way we can do what we were planning? It seems crazy that our travel plans are to be dictated / restricted by the Thai visa system. We will, of course, have return tickets, so there is no question of my trying to overstay or anything like that. We are genuine, bona fide tourists visiting family.

Do any, more knowledgeable, minds have any suggestions as to the best way to achieve our ends without falling foul of the system? I would previously just have got visa exemptions each time I came back into Thailand, but it seems that door has been firmly closed.

Edit.

I would just add that I would prefer not to waste a couple of my days away hanging round a Thai embassy in PP or wherever getting visas so I can return, if I can help it.

Edited by nisakiman

With any visa type, you get re-entry permit(s) at immigration office or airport. 1,000 thb single or 3,800 unlimited. These do not extend the "admitted until" date of 1st or 2nd entry (for non-O), but let you travel as you please.

Also, 60 days tourist visa can be extended for 30 more at immigration for tbh 1,900.

Edited by paz

Aha! Thanks for that nugget of info. So if I get a 90 day single entry non-O from the embassy here, then we fly from BKK to Hanoi, when we return I can pay 3800 Baht at the airport and my further travel problems are solved. Is that right? Or do I have to pay that money before I depart BKK? Do you know where in the airport one pays? The Hanoi trip would probably be with Air Asia, which means DM, the trips to Lao / Cambodia would be overland.

Aha! Thanks for that nugget of info. So if I get a 90 day single entry non-O from the embassy here, then we fly from BKK to Hanoi, when we return I can pay 3800 Baht at the airport and my further travel problems are solved. Is that right? Or do I have to pay that money before I depart BKK? Do you know where in the airport one pays? The Hanoi trip would probably be with Air Asia, which means DM, the trips to Lao / Cambodia would be overland.

As I understand it, you have to acquire the re-entry permit at the airport just before you hit the Immigration line to exit.

At BKK, when you come go the escalators (after security check) turn right (for foreign passports) and go to the far wall. There's is a sign that says Re-Entry. I've never done it but I'm pretty sure that's where you pay and receive the permit before proceeding to the Immigration lines to exit Thailand.

I don't know the setup at DM, but it probably is similar. (hopefully, someone can fill in the details).

If you do wind up in Phnom Penh and need to apply for a visa there, I recommend One World Travel (No. 19Eo, Preah Ang Duong (St. 110) - half a block in from the Sisowath, on the left ) Think they can expedite the visa in two days. It's four days if you apply directly at the embassy.

Safe travels,

-t

With any visa type, you get re-entry permit(s) at immigration office or airport. 1,000 thb single or 3,800 unlimited. These do not extend the "admitted until" date of 1st or 2nd entry (for non-O), but let you travel as you please.

Also, 60 days tourist visa can be extended for 30 more at immigration for tbh 1,900.

I think you can't get re-entry permit(s) with double entry tourist visas, only with singles. If you travel around for more than 90 days you have to get a single entry, then apply for another single entry at an embassy.

I think you can't get re-entry permit(s) with double entry tourist visas, only with singles. If you travel around for more than 90 days you have to get a single entry, then apply for another single entry at an embassy.

No. Re-entry with dual, triple entry Tourist visa is OK

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/535074-puzzle-re-double-entry-tourist-visa-and-re-entry-permit/

Re-entry means admitted until date stays the same. It can be had with any visa or extension of stay.

I live in Thailand and work overseas. I work a 28 day on 28 day off rotation so with travelling I'm only ever in Thailand for 25 - 26 days. Up until now I have only used the 30 day tourist visa because I've never been in the country for longer than that. Will I be able to continue doing the same or will I have to apply for a different type of visa to come and go every month? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.